DM certification and ranking at Neverwinter Connections

For discussing DMing ideas, resources and practices. Includes the Neverwinter University forum.
Carlo
Forum God
DM certification and ranking at Neverwinter Connections

Post by Carlo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:50 am

To help formally recognize people who successfully DM on the Neverwinter Connections platform, I believe it's worth offering on-site certification. The old NWC offered a "DM 101" certification, during the period when the in-game classes from the Fleet Street DMs were running; unfortunately, the classes took too much "live" time by DM instructors to sustain over the long term. The necessary skills for using the DM client can now be learned (or reviewed) in the single-person DMFI 101 module, so that aspect is not a problem. That said, the previous expectation of going from the DM 101 skills course to then DM a certification game on NWC helped support new DMs in their efforts to take the next step of actually running a module.

Here is the initial structure for certification criteria. Comments are welcome and it can be tweaked over time.

Three "ranks" will be visible for DMs on their member profiles:
-- Certified DM (one campaign session/module successfully completed)
-- Experienced DM (5 sessions/modules completed)
-- Veteran DM (10 sessions/modules completed)

The site will recognize both independently-hosted and PW-hosted DM'd events as "sessions".

For a scheduled session/module to be recognized, the DM and player roster should be listed on the Neverwinter Connections events calendar. Players who attend should then post in the comments section after they complete the session, to validate that it in fact occurred. A link to the event(s) should then be sent to site admin by the DM.

Co-DMing a session can count for certification, as long as each DM actually did significant DMing in the game.

Grandfathering former NWC DM's will be done on request. If necessary, proof of previously running DM'd games on the site can be provided via a Wayback Machine NWC profile link. (For example: Carlo One's profile)

The above is a relatively simple process and is not likely to be open to much fraud and abuse, given the requirement to set up an actual game with players to be certified.

In the end, it should hopefully serve as a recognition for the time people invest in DMing a game (or multiple games) and as an encouragement for both DMs and players to set up new campaigns and one-shots on the site, as well as run scheduled PW-hosted campaigns.

Carlo
Forum God

Re: DM certification options at Neverwinter Connections

Post by Carlo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:34 am

As mentioned above, DMs scheduling sessions on the NWC site from their PW campaign settings or using their own custom campaign modules will be credited. For new DMs who may want to start off by running a "one-shot" module for the experience, the DM-Friendly module list on Neverwinter Vault is a good place to look for an appropriate adventure.

Personally, I can recommend the following as being appropriate starter mods for a first-time DM:

JHR1: The Vethboro Dragon was the module I ran (a whiillle back...) for my DM 101 certification game on the old NWC. It's small enough to be manageable for a single rookie DM, large enough to be meaningful, and a good mix of classic adventure and slightly whimsical humor. (Module author Jason Robinson was also a longtime DMFI contributor and website host, I virtually met him a few years after playing the mod.)

My own Amee Pass (recently released for NWN:EE) was playtested at the new NWC and is a simple, classic-style introductory D&D adventure with comprehensive DM notes. It was designed to be accessible to new DMs and for a new party of level 1 characters.

Muddles in Milton is a "soundstage" mod with no scripted plot, rather being a pre-built setting with a number of lovingly created NPCs and locations. The DM documentation of the in-game resources is top-notch as well.

If you like the Ravenloft setting, Poetic Colossus' A Requiem for Jander is another high-quality DM-friendly module that should deliver a powerful experience. The DM notes are very good and some extra preparation for the setting (if you need it) and how the party might go off track is recommended.

Lazybones' various modules were also favorites for newer NWC DMs, as mentioned in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=116

Return to “The Dungeon Master's Forum”