World of Amon

A place for PWs to share info on their projects and events
sknymick
Newbie Poster
World of Amon

Post by sknymick » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:17 am

DM Ren's mod, released on NWVault in 2009, is currently being hosted on NWN EE. We've amended a few broken scripts and quests, but it's largely the Amon you likely knew and loved. Several players of old are already about. Bane's, McFob's, Rhazor's even a LanRack.

If you've never played, Amon is a very story intensive Persistent World created by DM Ren, starting around 2002. There are dozens (36 that I've found) of well thought out and interconnecting quests, spanning several factions, and a story that's worthy of a best selling novel. There may well be thousands of hours of game play (I have years on this mod).

Server Name: 00 World of Amon Since 2015
Playstyle: Story/Action
Discord: https://discord.gg/nzUtYCD
Teamspeak: Same IP as Server IP
Email: WorldofAmon@gmail.com
Web: WorldofAmon.com

Special:
Dev Crit Disabled
Some spell adjustments
Mid/High magic
Slow/Standard leveling

Utilizes NWSync, so no NWVault or Steam Community downloads necessary.

Origins:

Amon's origins begin with Craig Suter (DM Ren) in his Pen and Paper D&D campaign. When NWN was released he promptly began turning his campaign into our fantasy. Ren's whereabouts are currently unknown, but it is assumed he is somewhere north of Hur Krull, stewing and plotting the death of Blackwing.

The Story of Amon:

This is a very long and involved story.. I finally have access to some archives, and I will try to find some old posts that dive into the history. Otherwise.. I will slowly dink at adding the story.

The World of Amon is what is is.. a world that was left to its own devices.. sprung of interests and desires from foriegn worlds.

Far across the galaxy exists a planet called Elaria.. this is the homeworld from whence came a fateful ship bearing seven Elarian nobles, and a crew of clones. This ship would forever alter the planet that they themselves named Amon.

The Pent-

Elarian culture had overcome death, but early on found that without a cycle of renewal.. death.. some immortals would become increasingly detached from reality. So by edict they decreed that only 100,000 Elarians would be 'nobles' and immortal.. all else would die and renew every 1,500 years or so.

One of these Elarian nobles.. who had a tight cadre of four nobles around him.. began to think he was above all considerations other than his own. One night at a cocktail party he chance met a daughter of a powerful politician. He demanded that she be brought to him, and when she refused him he brutalized her, and disposed of her dead body. Chance uncovered his actions, and the rulers were staggered by the crisis, and the ramifications it would bring.

As it chanced there was a long-haul frieghter preparing for departure. This ship was slated to travel the galaxy for 100 years.. gathering very precious metals and artifacts. The council latched onto this opportunity, and quickly sacked its planned captain and crew, and replaced them with the offending Elarian nobels. Since they could not fulfill all the roles on the ship... they retained two crew members.. the geologist.. a very attractive young Elarian nobel named Alise.. but the mining foreman hearing of the changes in crew.. disappeared..

Seeing their grand plan to sweep the crisis under a 100 year rug slipping from them.. the council sent an envoy to the local academy.. there in his last year of studies to be a mining foreman.. was a young man named Amon. He had awoke in the morning stressing over two tests he had the next day, to find himself sitting stunned in his stateroom.. on a mining ship.. departing this evening for 100 years.

It did not take long after the ship departed for both Amon and Alise to start to recognize the insanity that they were now immersed in. The advances on Alise by the nobels were non-stop and incresingly demeaning.. as she spurned them it also became evident that any consideration she gave Amon.. only brought him pain and suffering as the captain was quick to lash out in all forms and manners.

What made matters worse was that planet after planet.. they found nothing to mine. Alise would try her best to plot good courses, but time and time again her courses were meddled with, and then she would face the wrath for another failure. Each failure would increase the vitriol and violence from the captain.. until pushed too far Alise could take no more, and she uncharacteristically lashed out saying how none of these were her failures, and it was the captains own meddling that caused these planets to be poor choices.. and that if he would jolly well let her alone to do her job she would do it just fine.. and we could get on with this..

There was dead quiet in the brdge after Alise' explosion.. Amon who had armed himself long ago moved his hand closer to his pistol... the captain only stared at her with cold dead eyes.. and said plainly that she could choose the next course.. but if she failed.. that he would hurt her terribly.

Alise chose the next course, and arrived above a planet so rich in resources.. that its equal had never before been recorded. As per protocol Alise was allowed the discretion of naming the planet she took them to.. and with wry smile.. she named it Amon. Now this action most likely had it desired effect.. twisting like a knife in the throat of the nobels every time they said it.. but it cost Amon dearly. He was banished to the planet.. and began a living nightmare of carrying out the insane orders of a group that wanted nothing more than to be done and going home at any cost or price
Real world history

Ren ran his servers (between 3 and 4 simultaneously) from 2002 to 2009, and again shortly during 2014. In 2015 DM Shoric began hosting the World of Amon mod, which was publicly released on NWVault. In 2018, with the release of NWN EE, DM Shoric also began hosting the NWN EE version. That's two versions for the price of one.
Words from Ren

" On 9-10-09 I officially turned off all the World of Amon computers. This page will be the final resting place for my work. I will miss having it there to log into and remember, but four servers is a bit much to run 24/7 to cling to what was.

Farewell.. and God bless. " - DM Ren, Neverwinter Vault

22 Mar 2014

"Bringing friends together, and causing them to fail miserably in bloody disasters.. plodding ever towards the culmination of an overarching storyline. Amon is an interpretation of a long-developed pen-and-paper D&D world created in software of Neverwinter Nights 1. So if you get nostalgic.. talk to Solomak." - DM Ren

29 Jun 2015

" Hullo! The server ran for awhile again, and I pushed forward the code on a few things.. I once again started up writing more events and stuff.. but in the end.. I was working very hard trying to build what was a very dated game.. and roping friends to come and play it with me was getting more and more difficult. Then the server it was running on crapped the bed, and I just never put it back up. I have it all, and its all easy to put back online.. so if we had some interest at some point I could run it. " - DM Ren
Sknymick
World of Amon

Return to “Persistent World Announcements”