NWC Down Again

Discuss anything related to Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2, Dungeons and Dragons, online roleplaying games, or computer roleplaying games
Venture
Site Admin
Re: NWC Down Again

Post by Venture » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:10 am

For anyone that wants to backup their campaign forums when/if the NWC forums come back online, a program I've used before is HTTrack. It really just takes a snapshot (i.e. it won't copy a database) of pages. I'm not sure if it can be set to just get your forums or not, as I'm sure you don't want all of NWC. I don't want to make promises I can't keep, but depending on the format it downloads your pages in, I might be able to archive your backup here for you, in a way that makes it look just like it did at NWC (i.e. separate and apart from these forums). That will need to wait, though, until I get many of my other to-do items done.

For an example of what it might look like, here is something I archived (manually back then, not using HTTrack):
http://www.naeldor.com/oldforums/gonebefore/0.htm

I had to go back and hand-change all the links to point to the right place. I did that back when I switched to my own forums several years back, when there were some frustrating glitches at NWC. I posted a request for permission in the NWC forums, and Gilaun kindly allowed me to do it.

Greywolf McGrowler
Experienced User

Post by Greywolf McGrowler » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:28 am

Well if the forums do come back up. Someone please post it so I can do some copying, cause I hate going to the NWC site right now just to see that Norton has blocked an attack on my computer and the page get linked somewhere else.

It's going to be harder to get new people now with NWC not avaialble and some of my players I don't have their e-mail and I can't get a hold of them except by messaging through NWC so my campaign is about at a standstill.

So when and if NWC comes up again someone PM me here so I can do all the things I need to do on the site (get e-mails, copy stuff from forums, get some game day info and so on.) I wasn't prepared for the site to go down again so soon.
Greywolf McGrowler

Karvon
Forum God

Post by Karvon » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:50 pm

I thankfully archived my campaign forum posts off NWC to another website forum I have up for my campaign but am glad to see this place up and running and serving as meeting place for NWC refugees for now :)

As others have mentioned, I'm worried about the impact on the con if NWC disappears forever :(

I have archived important notes and communications related to the con from various folks, so nothing lost in that respect, but organizing and scheduling events might prove a challenge. Not to mention, a bit weird having a con if the original supporting site is gone.

Anyways, thanks to all of you who're supporting the con and to Venture and team for getting this place up and running.

Karvon
NWCon 4 - Organizer

GM_ODA
Experienced User

Post by GM_ODA » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:52 pm

This 5' 7" DM declines your offer to basketball :P, unless it is RP basketball and I get Yao Ming (sp?). :D

Tall people, heh. :lol:

OK, humor aside. If NWC does come back, I hope Gilaun or Rizzen will post here (in fact, they _should_ post something here just so we know they have not both had coronaries from stress ... here's wishing them well with all this un-needed hassle).

I _really_ appreciate the NWC site all these years, you know it and it shows by my posts there (in number if nothing else). Likewise I appreciate this site and all the effort it takes to make it what it is, and what it ultimately will become.

With luck and some effort from all, we will overcome the depredations of those hacker miscreants. Remember too, rope + tree + hacker = NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

I liken hacking to just kicking a strangers' teeth in on sight, just because you got a new pair of shoes. If he wanted those teeth he would have worn mouth guard and a helmet and maybe even locked his head in a vault somewhere? The latter is hacker logic and it holds water like a sieve.

I know there are a lot of hackers who are gamers, and given the number of members on NWC, I would NOT want to be the hackers behind NWC's fall - as it _could_ attract unwanted attention from said gamer/hackers.

As far as this site goes, KUDOS to you nice folk behind it all. Keep up the good work.
Be well. Game on.
GM_ODA
24x7 we bring the game. Server 96.31.77.127:5121
Our forum http://aldohral.forumotion.com
Web http://playnwn.com

Frogs
Newbie Poster

Post by Frogs » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:18 pm

I iust wanted to inject my two cents worth on this topic. I'm in full support of what's being done here.

Everyone needs to promote this forum until we get NWC back. And I daresay I'll continue to be a member here even after NWC gets their problems solved.

This couldn't happen at a worse time. With interest in NWN dwindling NWC was our best means of attracting new on line players. Let's hope we get the problems sorted out.

In the meantime . . . I agree, Rope+Tree+Hacker is the solution.
Superior Story Teller of the Inner Sanctum

Frogs
Newbie Poster

Post by Frogs » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:26 pm

FYI - 0824 GMT-7 Satuday

I just tried to log in to NWC and the problem still exists. My Virus program blocked a Trojen (I'm using McAfee) when I loged on. The listings are still messed up.
Superior Story Teller of the Inner Sanctum

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:45 pm

Latest from Rizzen:
I'm guessing most of the site, or all of it, will be fixed by Sunday evening. Then Tranton will have to run the script Monday to clean the database of the infection. Then we'll have to cross our fingers and hope we got everything.
LB

Dragonstar
Veteran Poster

Post by Dragonstar » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:53 pm

Ahhh, good news! Thanks for the update, LB!

Urk

Post by Urk » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:09 pm

Excellent news! Thanks!

Venture
Site Admin

Post by Venture » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:22 pm

Great news, thanks LB! When I get back home tonight, I'll put that info on the front page here, if it's OK.