NWC Down Again

Discuss anything related to Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2, Dungeons and Dragons, online roleplaying games, or computer roleplaying games
Gulfwulf
Forum God
Re: NWC Down Again

Post by Gulfwulf » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:17 pm

I'm with GM_ODA on this: stick to NWN & NWN2 for now and only add in support for other games if there's a call for it. Also, go slow so that you're not overwhelmed, Venture, and so that you can ensure that every new piece works properly. :) I like the site and will probably use it instead of NWC if the later doesn't get fixed soon.

Skunkeen
Experienced User

Post by Skunkeen » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:35 pm

NWconnections is likely not going to come back up! and even if it did we all have the slight inkling feeling its not going to get the attention it needed. im super thankful they updated my submission for the NWCon page that I sent in. I know you all here love NWC

honestly im not to thrilled that in the time of need for NWC this is offered up to fill in and other MP games are talked up when over in the other NWC forum we would quickly send Lazybones or the admin to go slap em. Do what ya want with your forum and site. I think a more NWC clone like site devoted to NWN1,2,3 will come along.

plus why would a Hacker be doing this to NWC of all places. it has to be something personal. of all the random sites out there why not go hack 2girls1cup! NWC didnt make anyone wanna vomit or strightly offend. It was rollable wheel. not pretty but rolling. I think someone wanted more and the admin & owners attention. I Believe the NWCon and the university would of been the more positive way to do it!!!!! !!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know what to do with NWCon or the University that even this board here still thinks Fleet Street runs. Im angry and I want to fight and I need to shut up and post or delete this

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:38 pm

I've heard on a few different sites that there's a new injection attack that's hitting a bunch of sites all over the place. I suspect NWC is just a convenient victim due to the vulnerability of the old code that Rizzen used.

Hopefully Rizzen and Gilaun will have time to dedicate to the site this weekend. I think that NWCon4 is in jeopardy if the site stays down for any length of time. I am grateful that this alternative is up, at least to keep my two campaigns going in the interim.

Dane Bramage
Expert Poster

Post by Dane Bramage » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:51 pm

Skunkeen wrote:honestly im not to thrilled that in the time of need for NWC this is offered up to fill in and other MP games are talked up when over in the other NWC forum we would quickly send Lazybones or the admin to go slap em.
I do strongly disagree with this statement. I seem to remember a DDO thread and even a WoW thread that lived in the Gen Discussion thread for quiet sometime (ooh... and even a Witcher thread) that never drew the ire of the mods or the admins.

yah know... don't want to start an argument, but one thread does not a site kill.

Venture
Site Admin

Post by Venture » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:02 pm

Skunkeen, believe me, I'd love it if NWC gets up, because then I could focus on what I always intended with this domain (a simple list of multiplayer campaigns, with links back to the info on them at NWC). Please go back and read over the posts in the week and a half or so this site has been here (it started as a backup forum, per someone's suggestion over in the NWC forums after NWC kept going down). Working on a scheduler came later, and has turned out to be a real PITA. Your post is the sort of thing I've been messaging to Dane from the start that I wanted to avoid - people perceiving this as competition (weak competition at that) to NWC and fragmenting the community. The community is too small for that.

If the effort here could be re-channeled to help NWC, that would be great. The problem is that Rizzen hasn't even logged into the site for well over a year, so I wouldn't even know how to go about doing that.

If you saw Gilaun's post before NWC went down, and googled some of the terms in that thread, the stuff you'll find is that this is an attack that is hitting many sites. The pages I read (I think I linked to a couple in the NWC thread) seemed to suggest that this wasn't script kiddies, but hackers who were trying to inject code that will get on end user's systems (if they aren't updated) to use as zombie machines (to send out spam, for example).

Regarding the set up of the forums here (like Neverwinter University), I merely copied the format from NWC since it initially looked like this would be an off and on fill-in for times when NWC was down. The only one I didn't copy was Lazybones' forum, because I didn't want to be presumptuous that he'd want his forum here, so I thought I'd wait until he asked.

Finally, I've created an off-topic forum for non-NWN related stuff. I didn't have that initially because I had just used the NWC forum structure.

Skunkeen
Experienced User

Post by Skunkeen » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:27 pm

Im sorry and I know you all mean well. Ive overacted about the COD topic.

I didnt realize this would be what yall would want to avoid. but thinking from your POV I understand.

Ive been buffing up NWC to folks that havnt used it then this happens. I know many are affected and NWNCampaigns is the best anyone can do.
I shouldnt of said anything from the get go. im sorry

NWC goes down I hope to open the university here. I have a training session this month at a PW for their staff that is new to NWC there or here.
I love this game and hope to keep it alive dispite anyones discouragement

Venture
Site Admin

Post by Venture » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:31 pm

No worries, Skunkeen. It's all good. It's a tough time for anyone into our style of NWN gaming. I started using NWC many years ago too, so I know what it feels like. If you need anything from our end (spotlight on your training sessions, etc.), let us know.

Dane Bramage
Expert Poster

Post by Dane Bramage » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:00 am

Venture wrote:If you need anything from our end (spotlight on your training sessions, etc.), let us know.
absofrigginlutely... front page, baby.

seriously, it is the worst timing and possibly the end of what has been my most visited site for the last 5 years. the worst that could happen is that it goes down permenantly and we move operations here. the best that could happen, is that Riz and Gil decide to rebuild the site from the ground up. i'm not holding my breath... but one can dream, right?

dude... you overreacted because you care. you heart is in the right place, and that's what's important. i hope you stick around... because we need members like you.

peace?

LIONofHUME
Newbie Poster

Post by LIONofHUME » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:35 am

Over reacted? Ha! That was nothing, and I would know, I’m the king of over reactions. I could start a university teaching the skill, just ask Lazybones. But it’s all good; I love NWConnections as much as anyone and I dare anyone to say different, but just about every gaming site I have ever frequent discussed games or functions that had nothing to do with the sites mission policy, from fantasy football leagues, online poker clubs to java MUD’s. It’s all good baby, we are more than the sum of our parts and enjoy a wide variety of entertainments. Heck if I could get you guys together for a RL game of basketball I’d probably use the game schedule to advertise that. Love you’ll…LION

ps. Now if we could only get this site to the size and scope of my Battlefield Clan, Warrior Nation that would be crazy cool.
If ye be men of valor, great fortitude and wondrous imagination, gather ye bravely and join in marshal arms with us! Assemble your strengths, unsheathe your weapons, heft your shields and gird yourselves as if for war.

Urk

Post by Urk » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:49 am

I guess my timing was pretty good. My campaign has been suspended while I update my Rel Mord mod to 1.69. I was planning to roll out the new version for NWCon.

I think it's premature to assume NWC's demise. I'm just going to slow the roll and wait a couple of weeks. If Rizzen can get the site up, great. As soon as he does I'll be transferring my forum content here for backup, but I still love NWC and I'm hoping to see it up and running soon.

Either way, though, Venture has given us an invaluable resource here. Whether it turns out to be a backup for NWN or a replacement this site has already developed a vibrant caring community of dedicated users and that's just freakin' AWESOME. In fact another reason I hope NWC gets all fixed up is that I like Venture's original concept of a site dedicated to a smaller community devoted to MP campaigning.