Win 8

Discuss anything related to Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2, Dungeons and Dragons, online roleplaying games, or computer roleplaying games
Mulu
Experienced User
Win 8

Post by Mulu » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:50 pm

I am thinking about getting a new computer and I'm wondering if Win 8 works OK with NWN. Has anyone used NWN under Win 8?

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Re: Win 8

Post by Vanya Mia » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:06 am

Heya Mulu! Long time no see. Hope you're getting along okay.

As for Win 8? Unfortunately I've not ventured past Win 7 so far, as it had such a poor reputation.

Mulu
Experienced User

Post by Mulu » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:41 am

hey there! I think you have answered my question.

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:02 am

The biggest problem with 8 is the Metro interface, but it's still pretty much Windows 7 underneath. Then again, NWN doesn't always work properly in 7, so it might not in 8 either. Best I can suggest is to try it out.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:35 am

Not had any trouble at all in 7, though there's a set of instructions that were handed out to follow which are no longer readily available. Got a copy though.

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:07 am

Basically with Win 7 & NWN:

Don't install to the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders (the later is only on 64-bit versions of 7).
Run nwnmain.exe as admin and in XP SP 3 mode.

Basically that's it. If you want to use the DM client, create a shortcut to nwnmain.exe and add -dmclient to the end of it I believe: "x:\nwn folder\nwnmain.exe -dmclient" or something like that, where X is the drive NWN is on and nwn folder is where it's installed on that drive. It might be -dmc instead of -dmclient; I lost my shortcut so I don't remember off the top of my head.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:22 am

I've never found the second part necessary to access the DM client, I just go in through the regular start up options. This is what I had, accessed from the NWN support forums before the servers went down, but the essential part is the same as GW:

Install Game and expansions. Preferably on C drive, not in the programs (x86) folders.

Go to the patch page and download the correct critical rebuild and install it. (The final one released was NWNEnglish1.69HotUUpdate. You can't get the DL since the servers were taken down but if you don't have a copy I believe there is one on the Vault, and I've got a copy hanging around permanently, backed up in several locations.)

Open the NWN folder and find nwnmain.exe and nwn.exe files.

Right click on these and select properties. Set them to run with full permissions, as administrator and under windows XP service pack 3.

Delete any shortcuts already made and make new ones to account for the permission change.

Update your drivers for video and sound. (This seems to be a "just in case" requirement, mine were fine).

Edit: Found it on the Vault! Might be worth putting the link somewhere for reference. NWN Critical Build files

Mulu
Experienced User

Time

Post by Mulu » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:16 am

Oh my god I'm so sorry, I did not mean to be rude. When I got the answer, I was done....

If it ever manages to get back up, I will be preserving a TB of mods and haks!
Last edited by Mulu on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mulu
Experienced User

Post by Mulu » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:21 am

Oh, and I went with the Win7, because all of the other computers in the house were on Win7. All seven of them. I only have one.

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:26 am

No problem, Mulu. How have you been?