Site motto?

Discuss anything related to Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2, Dungeons and Dragons, online roleplaying games, or computer roleplaying games
Venture
Site Admin
Site motto?

Post by Venture » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:55 pm

So, I'm trying to come up with a byline for the site. I'd like something that reflects the purpose of the site (not a scheduling service, but a list of multiplayer campaigns that people run, with # of openings, and a link to the campaign's home at NWC or elsewhere). Something like "NWN Campaigns: the campaign database." I've got no marketing background, though. Any ideas?

Mulu
Experienced User

Re: Site motto?

Post by Mulu » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:53 pm

How about, "Carrying the torch."

Has several connotations.

Venture
Site Admin

Post by Venture » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:10 pm

Nice one Mulu. I like that for a slogan when (or if) the site gets to be known a bit. In the beginning, I think I need to be Captain Obvious - something I can put in my signature on the Bioboards, for example, that will let people know what the site is about.

Urk

Post by Urk » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:05 pm

I agree. Gotta keep it spelled out. Something simple like:
Your NWN Multi-Player Campaign Headquarters

Dane Bramage
Expert Poster

Post by Dane Bramage » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:01 pm

i think database or list should be worked in there so we can differentiate ourselves from NWC. at least for now. if NWC stays dead in the water, then we can revise.

just replace Headquarters with Database and you're golden, i think

Your NWN Multi-Player Campaign Database.

Simple, concise and to the point.

NWN DM

Post by NWN DM » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:57 pm

The NWN/NWN2 Multi-Player Campaign Database

Venture
Site Admin

Post by Venture » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:25 pm

Thanks guys. What I did with my signature at the Bioboards, to be super explicit for now, is "NWN Campaigns- Find campaigns at the NWN/NWN2 Multiplayer campaign database." After a while, I'll just go with "The NWN/NWN2 Multiplayer campaign database"

GM_ODA
Experienced User

Post by GM_ODA » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:10 pm

I advise against that slogan, I recommend you drop the "/NWN2" portion or change the "NWN" to "NWN1" since those searching for NWN1 would NOT find your posts nor site based on that slogan. Personally, I think "NWN" says it all, no matter how many versions of the game ultimately evolve.
Be well. Game on.
GM_ODA
24x7 we bring the game. Server 96.31.77.127:5121
Our forum http://aldohral.forumotion.com
Web http://playnwn.com

Dane Bramage
Expert Poster

Post by Dane Bramage » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:35 pm

not really sure why anyone would search for NWN1, but regardless, i disagree with ODA. with the fan base split strongly along the game lines, it's important to show that we support both games.

GM_ODA
Experienced User

Post by GM_ODA » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:24 pm

Because NWN2 exists and NWN1 users with some degree of search engine saave will not want to find nwn2 stuff in their searches for nwn1 material - many will differentiate with a 'nwn1' in their search string. A search for 'nwn' would turn up BOTH nwn1 and nwn2 material and waste a users time if they had only one of the games. Hence, spell out both nwn1 and nwn2 to indicate you support both, nwn will show your site in the search in this case too.

BTW, I did SEO for ten years. I used my hobby sites as my 'acid test' sites; trying my code there rather than experiment on clients' sites. In a field of over ten million (results from a google search) for very high competition keywords (in this case 'role playing game') I had THREE sites listed in the top 20. The odds of this (or so I'm told) are 1:5E18 ... this is no mean feat. I know search engines that well. During those ten years in which I kept my sites in the top 20 (ten whole years), Wizards of the Coast and even Hasbro's sites ranked way way way below me (usually near #100). And yes, I usually had one or two in the top ten for that same search.
Be well. Game on.
GM_ODA
24x7 we bring the game. Server 96.31.77.127:5121
Our forum http://aldohral.forumotion.com
Web http://playnwn.com