New Campaign - September 2008: The Q&A Thread

NWN DM
New Campaign - September 2008: The Q&A Thread

Post by NWN DM » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:05 pm

With a new campaign starting 09/24, feel free to post any questions or comments you have in this thread... I'll do my best to answer them as quickly as I can.

Welcome to all new players. I hope you all enjoy the campaign as much as I enjoy DMing it, and as much as I've enjoyed building it for the past 4+ years.

magrudis
Newbie Poster

Re: New Campaign - September 2008: The Q&A Thread

Post by magrudis » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:09 am

I am thinking of playing an elven rogue... although I think we are going to need a cleric.

I prefer not to be the cleric but will pony up if it looks like we are not going to have one.

~ magrudis

Antonymous
Newbie Poster

Post by Antonymous » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:23 am

I don't think you need to worry Magrudis. We don't need a cleric. Anyway, I can always switch to cleric (I have some ideas for that character class too).

themaskedassassin
Newbie Poster

Post by themaskedassassin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:18 am

themaskedassassin is here.....LOL !

Well, guys my real name is Shelby, and I'm looking forward to the fun. I want to play the muscle, so I'll be playing a dwarven fighter. I like to be up close and personal with monsters and show them a real close view of a battle axe. I play a lawful neutral character who was raised in a military family. I am always loyal to my party members, and strike first and ask questions later, especially if something is threatening my friends.

I regularly play a table top campaign, mess around with the miniature game with friends on occasion and am in the process of designing a game for my buddy, my girlfriend and my buddy's future wife. The girls have never played but are interested after reading a couple of novels. so we're trying to introduce them to our little world too.

I am a newbie at playing this game online. I've dabbled with some persistant worlds, but have never played a campaign online. I used to play Diablo 2 with my buddy every tuesday, and that lasted about 7 months, but he slowly got disinterested, so I was looking for something new. I talked to John about a month ago, and he mentioned he was putting this together, so I'm really intrigued !!!

themaskedassassin
Newbie Poster

Post by themaskedassassin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:22 am

I just have one thing to add, john seems like a really decent D.M. so far and he basically said, play what you want and if you need something else, he'd just add an NPC to help us out for a well rounded party. so if we don't have a cleric, I'm sure john will give us one.

NWN DM

Post by NWN DM » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:51 am

I'll comment a little on the need for a Cleric.

In a quasi-medieval society where magic exists and is real, Clerics are a close second to established authority (i.e. the government). In many cases, traveling clergy can be asked to adjudicate on disagreements by neighboring farmers, or act as an impartial judge/jury if need be.

I also plan my campaigns for what I hope is an overall even balance for all the main classes. A Sorcerer would generally do just as well as a Wizard, or a Barbarian instead of a Fighter... Cleric or Druid, etc....

These statements aside, it certainly is possible to go without a Cleric, if that is what you want. Healing in the form of potions and bandages is readily available in many civilized areas. A party pool of gold to purchase wands of healing is another option, if you have an alternative class that can use it.

I would add, however, that in Sunndi the major religions are Pelor, St. Cuthbert and Heironeous. All generally have worshipers/Clergy of LG or LN in alignment... if this strikes anyone's fancy, let me know.

Alternatively, there is a long time player locally that is a co-worker of mine who has played a Cleric for a few years on my server... I'd thought to keep him out of this group because of the disparity in levels, but it's not too late for me to send out an invitation to him, if that's what you want.

Edit: One interesting option would be for a magic-using PC to essentially take levels in Cleric and Wizard or Sorcerer. Such a PC could worship Bobbob, deity of magic (generally N in outlook) and in addition to arcane spells, choose from the domains of Knowledge and Magic. Such a PC would be a veritable walking bag of tricks for all your magical needs (and someone the rest of the group would do well to protect...). I've had someone play this kind of PC in the past, and it worked very well.

Antonymous
Newbie Poster

Post by Antonymous » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:44 am

I am going to post this from NWN DM's previous email:

Keep in mind some of the following when deciding:

Clerics and Paladins need a deity. Choice of deity determines your choice of domains as a Cleric. Email me ahead of time for a list of domains you can choose from.

Half-Elves have slightly different modifications from standard, which I'm doing with Leto. Specifically:
+1 to Dexterity & -1 to Constitution (if favoring Elven parent)
One time bonus feat after character creation (if favoring Human parent)
You need to let me know which option you want.

Human sub-races are available as per below:
Baklunish:
The Baklunish have skin of golden tones and straight, fine-textured hair that is universally dark, ranging from dusky brown to a bluish-black. Their eyes are usually green or grayish-green. They tend to be long of limb and facial feature, with high cheekbones.
The Baklunish once held a great empire on the western side of the Crystalmists and Barrier Peaks. The Invoked Devastation ruined their empire, for which they retaliated with the Rain of Colourless Fire, buring the Seul Imperium to ash.
Many skilled Wizards are Baklunish, including experts in elemental magic, divination, summoning and binding spells.
Baklunish PCs gain a +1 bonus on intelligence and suffer a -1 penalty on constitution during character creation. These are the legacy of ancient times, as well as part of the curse of the Invoked Devastation that once destroyed the Bakluni empire.
Flan:
The Flan have bronze skin and dark coloured eyes. Hair is wavy or curly, typically black or brown. The Flan have strong, broad faces and sturdy builds. Body painting and extensive tattoos are common even today.
The Flan were the first known Humans to inhabit eastern Oerik, and it is from them that the Flanaess gets its name. The Flan have long been strongly tied to the natural world, as they were nomadic hunter-gatherers for so long.
Many skilled Clerics and Druids are Flan, typically worshipping Gods like Pelor and St. Cuthbert.
Flan PCs gain a +1 bonus on constitution, and a -1 penalty on intelligence. This reflects the focus on nature and away from structured learning in their culture.
Oeridian:
Oeridian skin tones range from tan to olive, with brown hair being common and eye colour being predominantly grey or brown. Oeridians tend to have square or oval faces and strong jaw lines.
Barbaric Oeridians were driven into the Flanaess from Ull, after living there for generations, by Orcs and Goblins employed as mercenaries by the Baklunish and Suel. Ancient hatred still lingers amongst these three races.
Following their warlike tendencies, magic-using Oeridians focus on battle oriented spells, as well as the enchantment of magical items for use in combat.
Oeridian PCs gain a +1 bonus on strength and a -1 penalty on charisma. This reflects their cultural and historical background, as well as how they are perceived by other races.
Olman:
Olman have rich red-brown or dark brown skin. Their hair is always straight and black, and their eyes are dark. Olman have high cheek bones and high bridged noses.
The Olman originated in the jungles of Hepmonaland, and it is rare to find someone of this race travelling outside that portion on Oerth. Olman usually are subjected to stares and pointed fingers when travelling. It is rumoured that many Olman still practice the ritual of Human sacrifice, although this has not been substantiated.
Olman spell casters favour divination spells, while magic that heals or protects is rare.
Olman PCs gain a +1 bonus on constitution and a -1 penalty on charisma. This reflects their cultural and historical background, as well as how they are perceived by other races. Olman PCs will be rare and a suitable character background should be thought out before beginning play.
Rhennee:
Rhennee have an olive to tan complexion, curly black or dark brown hair and a variety of eye colours, including gray, blue, black or brown. Rhennee are usually short, but strong and wiry, with males averaging 5'6" and women less.
The Rhennee are rumoured to be accidental travellers from another plane of existance, a lost homeland they call Rhop. Legends say that they first appeared in the Great Kingdom, in or near the Aerdi Forest, some 450 years ago. Rhennee now live almost a completely nomadic lifestyle, plying the great rivers that cross the Flanaess. A few (mostly secret) semi-permanent encampments exist.
Male Rhennee usually become Warriors and/or Rogues, while some females become Sorcerers or "wise women", whose skills and knowledge make them the subtle masters of their society. Clerics are virtually unknown amongst the Rhennee and only women become spell casters. Rhennee men can be quite chauvinistic, while the women are manipulative.
Male Rhennee PCs gain +1 bonuses on strength and dexterity, while suffering -1 penalties on wisdom and charisma. Female Rhennee PCs gain +1 bonuses on intelligence and charisma, while suffering -1 penalties on strength and constitution. It is almost unheard of for a Rhennee male to not have at least one level of Rogue or Bard.
Suloise:
Suloise have the lightest colouration of any known Human race. Skin is fair, with an atypical proportion of albinos. Eye colour is pale blue or deep violet, while hair is wiry, often curly with colours ranginf from yellow to light red and blond or platinum.
The Suel Imperium was located in what is now known as the Sea of Dust. Wicked and decadent, this empire was destroyed in the ancient times by the Baklunish. While the ancient Imperium was exceedingly cruel, this cultural trait still manifests itself today.
Heirs of a highly magical society, the Suel have a natural aptitude for magic, with many becoming Sorcerers, if not fully trained Wizards. It has long been thought that Suel Wizards were responsible for creating the legendary Orbs of Dragonkind.
Suel PCs gain a +1 bonus on intelligence and a -1 penalty on strength.

Schmelkus
Newbie Poster

Post by Schmelkus » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:59 pm

Greetings, Schmelkus here.

My initial thought was that A) we'd be short handed in terms of combat-centric characters, and B) we'd have more spell use.

So, my first idea, trying to foresee needs of the party, was to play a halfling Ranger that is more of a guide/tracker/hunter. Combat ready, but not solely so. I then thought that perhaps if we didn't have a druid, or if we didn't have a cleric, that I might multi-class him with Druid as he experiences the world outside his upbringing.

But... seeing the choices the party is making, I'm beginning to think maybe a druid would serve us better initially from a party perspective, as well as it being interesting from a roleplaying perspective. Perhaps the Druid could learn to defend himself later, and take on the fighting skills that would classify him as Druid/Ranger, giving us some semblance of Healing and pseudoclerical abiliity/standing, while becoming somewhat resilient and more useful in combat situations.

That said, can't say I've ever played a halfling druid before. Why halfling? Well, as a ranger is seemed a unique chance to play a ranger that was more about tracking and stealth than combat.

How do you feel about a Halfling Druid, NWNDM? Others' feelings?

Antonymous
Newbie Poster

Post by Antonymous » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:00 pm

I have pretty good ideas for a human bard or cleric (St. Cuthbert) at this point. I am still pretty flexible on this as I have ideas for several other PCs brewing- gnome druid and/or bard(dusting off an old PC) or even a human cleric/bard (with DM permission of course). But it's so hard to choose!

I would still like to see what everyone is thinking- so far it looks like we have:

1/2ling ranger
Dwarven fighter
Elven rogue

So we sre short a magicky type and a preachy type.

Antonymous
Newbie Poster

Post by Antonymous » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:10 pm

Crap, it won't let me edit my last post.

Anyway- I think we will need 2 fighter types so you can stick with 1/2ling ranger Schmelkus if that is what you want to play. I don't see a problem with 1/2ling druid either.

We still need to hear from SteveOhio.

Return to “Sunndi Campaign (NWN)”