Forum God
Re: Siege of Aldera - Sunday rp thread

Post by Gulfwulf » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:46 am

+200 for Elaura, Lydyn, tampamac2002.

Lydyn
Experienced User

Post by Lydyn » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:14 am

We're heading back now, to Southwarden, with the Everburning Latern that sat up on the tower's reach. It seems as if the Reavers - gargoyle-like red beasts - have taken refuge within the tower as a nest. Though it's hard to say how long they will stay now that (what I assume) their queen is slain.

Strange companions travel with me, so far being a man by the name of Mei (pronounced [May]) who seems rather confident with women and a half-orc woman by the name of Ridishu. A simple woman that enjoys simple trading and battle. Also I've heard of another 'man-elf' or what I'd come to conclude, a half-elf, that these two travel with named Erin.

Still though, there are no clues to my presence here, only a small desperate town plagued by bugs. Though one must wonder, what made them come out after all this time?

Mask
Newbie Poster

Post by Mask » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:14 am

1371: The Year of the Unstrung Harp.
14 Tarsakh.
Waterdeep: Sea Ward.

With a grumble, that was equal parts show, and covering his amusement, the old wolf gave the elf another shove, propelling him south t'wards the harbor.

"Well how was I to know that the girl was the Innkeepers wife? She did look far more like his daughter," Again, the elf stopped, and began to turn and argue the point, "and you must admit she was the right age." The old wolf merely smiled.

"Aye, she did," This was punctuated by another shove. The pair moved rather slowly Southward along the Street of the Singing Dolphin, one reluctantly, the other resigned. They were a study in opposites, The elf being young, thin, and loud. The human half, was by contrast, elder in wisdom, expansive in girth, and mild in manner. "Still, this be the Sixth time this tenday..."

"The Eighth actually, I didn't tell you about last night," The elf offered helpfully, " and eluding the watch was simple enough." The human Just sighed.

"Aye then, the Eighth time ye've run afoul of the watch, and 'tis only the Fourteenth lad." The human fixed a stern look upon the elf's back. Being, perhaps, more attentive then he seemed, the elf didn't turn around to meet it.

"Aye, I shall have to try harder your right, I am slowing down." The Elf's head nodded, even as he set his shoulders in determination.

The human sighed yet again, "Lad, You've been in the city for four day's, I've known ye for three, and had to collect from the cell you were in, and I've already know ye long enough for you to have told me every city ye've passed through you've left at least two folks seeking your head. Now I can see that you don't care for the idea of going to sea, but pray tell, what better plan do ye have Hmm?"

Elven shoulders visibly tensed, not a whisper came drifting back. The human lengthened his stride for a few paces, and came up along the elf. "It's saddens me to hear what came to your parents Kevrry, Your father was the sort that would rather catch an arrow of his own helping a man stricken by such, than leave him. And your mother, Well I only met her once, but to hear your father tell, her voice could coax a tree into bloom in the middle of Marpenoth."

The elf remained silent, staring straight ahead as the human spoke. "They'd both want you safe," The pudgy man pressed on, "And you and I both know you'll not be here. Sooner or later, the watch will catch you up to nothing honest, and from that point out, day by day things will get worse." The elf remained silent.

The human sighed, a gusty breath as if the man were deflating. "I've talked to an old friend of mine, fellow by the name of Deudermont. He sails up and down the coast a fair bit, and I've already paid your way. He plans to set sail in about three days, so think it over. Truth be told, he'd be lucky to have those elven eyes of your in the crows nest, and Waterdeep is home port to the Sea Sprite so you'd be back often enough, Give it some thought." The elf looked to the sky, apparently not content to just roll his eyes.

"I hardly think I want to spend my day's trapped like a rat, on some ship of your choosing, thank you." The elf's tone was as frosty and haughty as he was able to make it. "I know you adventured with my Father before he settled down, but truly, I can make do without your favors."

The human took this opportunity to study the sky himself, "Really now? See, I could almost believe you, had I not met you in a Jail cell. Your history of 'Making do' leave a bit to be desired 'eh?" His gaze drifting down to regard the elf again, the human merchant was smiling, clearly enjoying the word play far more than the elf was.

"Yes well, We all have our off days. None the less, I will give your offer all the consideration it deserves, I assure you." Came the elf's rather testy reply. The human left well enough alone, time was all it would take to settle the matter and elves after all have no shortage of time.

Mask
Newbie Poster

Post by Mask » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:48 am

16 Tarsakh.
Waterdeep: Dock Ward.

"Damn that ale," The elf thought, "and damn that wench too. Had the ale been a bit pricier, the neckline a bit higher, or the marks a bit scarcer, he'd never had drank so much. Aye, that's right, damn those marks too!" Walking was a task that was nearly his match, to say nothing of running, the act he was presently and unhappily engaged in. It was patently unfair he thought. The only mark he'd encountered this evening that he didn't lift something off of, was the one fellow canny enough to flag down a watch patrol, and point at him. This had to be the work of his enemy, there was no other explanation. Or so he convinced himself.

While it was far more likely his capacity for ale had been reached, This was ignored by the elf. True, he wasn't well served by staring down a bodice while trying to cut a purse string, but that wasn't enough to spoil his blade. Perhaps picking a mousy little priest was not the wisest of marks, but one would expect the priest would have been even more interested in Eilnda's "features", and thus less prone to notice a hand at the mans belt.

Patently Unfair, it had to be his.. it's work. Darting, or rather wobbling, around a corner, the elf stopped to take his bearing. The nearest dock was but an arrow's shot in the direction he had been stumbling, The watch patrol was far enough back to be out of sight though that was little enough comfort. Giving his head a good hard shake, and wishing he could rid himself of the drinks as easily as a dog shake off a rainstorm, the elf appraised the collection of people out and about this eve at the docks.

Picking out a likely candidate was easy enough, there was but one elf in calling distance a female at that. "No, too heavy," He thought to himself "Half elven then. So much the better." Dark haired with a hint of blue to it, the woman had the fair skin of a moonelf, and more shockingly, The sword she carried. Set into its hilt, was a Moonstone. Her companion was equally shocking, albeit for different reasons. He was handsome enough for a human, his hair a pale blond, and a pleasant grin upon his face. Dressed head to heel in purple of varying shades, it was hard to ignore him, and harder still to take him seriously.

Still, it was easy enough to avoid dealing with the idiot dilettante all together. Approaching the pair, Our hero began rather simply, with an apologetic smile on his face, and allowing a bit of uncertinty to creep into his eyes, and brows. "A'nyylaa sa, sa nyessel ela tyeem, illw E oailm E ils celaan. Tyamiriltyla aey seviran ilew sa? E laaan il lairety, anira Laail Latyemean, we aey nleam ean?" There were many perks to speaking elven to other elves, the least of which was excluding humans.

"Excuse me, my common is poor, and I fear I am lost. Perhaps you might aid me? I seek a ship, the Sea Spirit, do you know it?" Kevrry was utterly unprepared when the human answered. "Aye, head north its on the Third..Err, sorry." The human paused, gathering his thoughts, or perhaps his words and began again, "Ilaa, irailw lemanir eanla el anira aniremw wenyn tyillaan anirela ela, aey laaan anira feilan wenynaw el anira laeyaniraml laewa eo anira wenyn."

"Aye, head north its on the third dock past this one, you seek the boat docked on the southern side of the dock." Kevrry neglected to close his mouth, fortunately the woman helped, reaching out a deft hand to tap his chin upward. The clack of his teeth brought our elf to his sense, and he managed to keep his mouth closed while he worked out how to reply. "Anirilln aey, E ils selaan vmilanaoyc, E wew lean a'tyanyan il irysill ane," He paused for a moment as he heard the crashing steps of the watch somewhere behind him, "E ils laemma, E sylaan ve. Aey irilela sa laelnyamalaan anirillnla."

"Thank you, I am most grateful, I did not expect a human to... I am sorry, I must go. You have my sincerest thanks." Kevrry Inclined his head to the pair, and made off with all due, and perhaps undue haste. A few day's at sea did seem like a pleasant prospect when compared to the alternatives, and so it went. a Bit muddled by drink still, and preoccupied by the elven speaking human, and half breed with a moonblade, Kevrry boarded the Sea Spirit, asking as soon as he was aboard, to be shown to his cabin.

With a heavy purse, Muddled head, and Tired body, Kevrry collapsed upon the bed in the closet these humans considered a cabin, and Didn't rouse for quite some time.

Mask
Newbie Poster

Post by Mask » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:51 am

17 Tarsakh.
West of the Sword Coast: At Sea.

Afternoon was entirely too bright, and Kevrry really would have preferred it come later, say.. after-morning for example. The sun had crossed half the sky, and was well into the remaining half when the elf awoke with a pounding head, a profound sense of disgust, and a ready vow to never drink swill again. It was simply shameful that he passed the night in the senseless state humans call sleep. Sand in his eyes, and a tongue that was arguably drier than the floorboards compelled the elf to venture forth. It did not escape his notice that he slept, ugh, in his clothes. Nor did it slip by unseen that his purse, was not to be found. "Hmph! Some old friend Mirt. Erevan spare me from well meaning humans, and their thick skulls." The elf grumbled.

It was a simple enough matter to wander upwards until he hit fresh.. well.. salt flavored air. Squinting in the all-too-bright light, and its reflection off the water, the elf headed for the wheel in the stern of the ship, to address the horde of flesh that seemed to be charting the course. "You would be captain... ahh.. Deudermont?"

"Nope." The man grinned, "But since yer so well paying of a passenger, I'll tell that Sea Spirit be the finest vessel to sail the sea of Swords." He grinned, showing a missing incisor.

"Yes, well," The elf sighed inwardly, "I was told Captain Deudermont sailed the Sea Spirit, where might I find our good captain then?"

"Ye 'ave." The man replied, his grin only broadening.

"Your not Captain Deudermont?" The human shook his head. "This is the Sea Spirit?" The human nodded. "Your the captain of this ship?" Again the human nodded "I'm missing something important aren't I?" This too, received a nod. "Please, do explain."

"Well, that be a simple enough course to steer ye on. Captain Deudermont, sails the Sea Sprite. This be the Sea Spirit. I'm captain Rathbone."

"Tymora's Turgid Teats!" Swore the elf. Rathbone just grinned all the broader.

"Now its not all that bad elf, Ye paid the cost of passage, we'll feed ye and have ye in Aldera here in but a few day's." The captain apparently thought this would be good news.

"You good everything I had?" The captain nodded, attempting, and failing to hide his grin. "Where, By Banes Black Balls is Aldera?" Enjoying this far too much, the Captain lifted his left arm, and proceeded to point to the bow of the ship. Kevrry tried to determine if drowning could really be less pleasant than this. "Right, and we'll arrive...."

"Two and a Half a tenday's, 'pending how the wind blows." The captain shrugged, apparently not overly concerned.

"Well, I don't suppose you have a good look out? Since I'll be staring off every day awaiting the sight of land, you might at least let me earn some of my gold back, seeing as how my purse was heavy enough to buy this Beshaba-be-damned ship outright."

The captain glared, "Now you see here elf, I'll not have ye calling to dark gods every breath. You'll be stopping that right now." Kevrry smiled with the promise of sharing his misery with company.

"Fine, hire me. In the meantime, like you said, I'm a well paying passenger." Kevrry glared at the overweight human. "Besides, your not really losing out. Once I get there I'm sure you'll want every last coin I've made to sail me back."

"True enough elf, True enough." The captain returned the glare. "I suppose it'll be worth it just to 'ave ye up in the crow's nest so I don't have to listen to ye. No calling on evil gods, or casting curses on me or what like."

Without another word, Kevrry began to climb the rigging.

tampamac2002
Expert Poster

Post by tampamac2002 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:50 am

Adora was quite the mystery. She claimed to not know what she was doing here. Yes, I think someone hit her over the head at some point in her life.
Truth be told, Mei didn't really care what her story was, as long as she was willing to go with us hunting bugs. Her spells of healing were a very welcome surprise.
And Ridash was a godsend. She fought hard and often. I would gladly follow that woman into any caves we find. A few steps, maybe a few more, but I'd be there.

Hopefully Erin will come back out with us. I'll have to check in on him when we get back to town. We did get the beacon lit. That's gotta look good.

Elaura
Experienced User

Post by Elaura » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:02 am

Ridishu lies down on the old lumpy mattress of the inn. "Ahh, better than hard ground" she says. As she drifts off to sleep, she considers the day's events. Me wish Elf-man had not spent so much time with lady healer. Maybe he sick, or maybe he just like lady healer. It not matter to Ridishu, but he leave Ridishu to go hunting bugs with Bard and flower-picker. Ridishu not like hunting party with no leader. Song good. Herbs good. Leader better. Maybe tomorrow will be a good day for hunting?

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:20 am

+300 for Lydyn, Mask, Elaura, and tampamac2002.

Lydyn
Experienced User

Post by Lydyn » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:25 pm

It seems we've acquired some rare ore that I haven't had much of the pleasure of knowing about. The alchemist claims it harms the insects more than just steel, which I don't find unbelievable. I've asked for a katana to be forged in place of my longsword. While the exotic blade is a bit harder to handle and I'll have to keep an eye out for nicks in the edge, the blade itself can be far more deadly.

There also seems to be a larger cousin of those small insects with pincers that have arrived here - or however this insect plague has started. Still, there are no clues as to what it happening ... maybe it's just that some wizard made a mistake in his spells. It wouldn't be the first.

Elaura
Experienced User

Post by Elaura » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:11 pm

Back at the inn, after a long day of hunting bugs and gathering ore:

*Chomp-Gnash* Ridush chuckles to herself as she rips the meat off a hog leg with her teeth. The greasy ankle bone held in the vice of her bare hand. Always fall for that one! Eat dog? Ridishu never eat dog in her life! Mama say folks believe everything they hear bad about orc-kind and nothing they see good; it true!

Ridush was her name, but since her mother always lovingly referred to her as Ridishu, this was how the half-orc referred to herself in her mind. It was a pet name and it reminded her she was not a mindless, unfeeling killer and neither was her mother. By her simple logic, how could one be evil if one loved and was loved?

Still, it be good to have fish head soup again. Better for thinking than greasy pig-meat. If man fear for dog, he save fish heads and take better care of dog, too. Good for all.

Ridush rarely voiced her private thoughts; as a matter of fact, she probably couldn't even if she tried. The words, when she knew them, made her mouth too tired to speak.

Her thoughts turned to her comrades on the day's hunt. Now have all Papa say good party need. Papa say need healer for wounds, bard for keeping good cheer, ranger for scouting, and good lock-picking, trap-finding rogue. No, there one more . . . what was it? This last thought caused her to wrinkle her unibrow and declare with a mouth full of partially chewed meat, "Damn! Ridush need more fish to a-member!"

She closed her eyes and tried to remember her father's exact words to her, when she lamented all the things the other children could do that she couldn't. "Ridush, my little green-skinned princess, you need only do what you are good at if you surround yourself with those who can do what you cannot. A battle is not won by individuals. What good is a mage when his spells are all used up? A healer with no bandages, a rogue without a thief's kit, a bard without a song, or a ranger without his bow? It is the task of the Barbarian - your task - to ensure your party members have what they need to do what they do best. It is Ridush's task to give them the space and time they need and they will then take care of Ridush as well."

The serving girl, mistaking the meaning Ridush's outburst, quickly brought another ale with *two* fish in it and then again mistook Ridush's next outburst upon receipt of the ale as confirmation that it was what the half-orc was upset about. "YES! That is what is needed!"

However, what Ridush was actually pleased with was remembering the final member of the ideal party . . . the Barbarian, the 'meat-shield' as some called it . . . put simply, herself.

As the serving girl scampered away and the publican stood back clucking his tongue at the mess Ridush was making, The half-orc happily finished her meal, belched loudly and went back to her room, which was actually a supply closet with an old mattress on a workbench. Ridush didn't know or care that hers was not like the others' rooms, she'd never seen them anyway and the publican only charged her half-price.

"Good for all," she said finally and slipped off to sleep imagining what kind of armor could be made from those little lumps of rock?