NWN 2 - Sundays

Gulfwulf's Campaign
Gulfwulf
Forum God
NWN 2 - Sundays

Post by Gulfwulf » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:33 am

Despite the issues we had at game start, Elaura and I enjoyed the game. So far we seem to be jelling well as a team, with each playing their role perfectly. I'll be taking Eldrich Knight levels at level 5 so I'll be able to provide some front line support and be able to survive some hits better. But I'll stay in the back until I get the set of armor I want from Deekin, which will be awhile because it's expensive. I may also focus on long swords, I haven't decided yet, but long swords and shields remind me of the romantic vision of knights of old. :ugeek:

Speaking of expensive, Elaura is focusing on raising her Appraise skill, so I think we should let her do the buying and selling because she's more likely to get better prices than we are. That and having one person keep track of the gold is much easier than everybody keeping a small amount that won't buy much. Just let her know if you need anything and she'll keep an eye out for it.

I'm taking ranks in craft alchemy so I'll be able to create potions as needed. I'm also going to take the craft wondrous and magical arms and armor feats so I can enchant our equipment later on. I won't be able to bless anything, but there's an NPC cleric we'll need later on for part of the story that should be able to do that. I can craft anything else we need. Also, Darrin (Tampamac) has said that he'll take the craft weapons and armor feats, so we'll eventually have nicer stuff that we won't have to pay the asking price for.

Regarding NPCs: I hate using them in multiplayer games because I like to just control one character at a time. When I'm playing a single player game, I can pause whenever I need to and take as much time as I want when making decisions. In an mp game, that's not always possible or fair to everybody else. So, I will not take along any NPCs that we do not need for a quest and will only use those that we do need for a quest for as long as we need them. The only exception to this is Shandra and that's only because she refuses to be left behind. She's a fighter so I'll slap some hand-me-downs on her and call it a day. I'm also going through the cut-scenes as quick as I can because we've seen them a few times and Elaura and I are more interested in the action than the story - I've gotten up to owning the castle and will probably finish the game before we get to that point. If you guys want, we can watch them instead, but we'd rather skip through them. :sleep:

tampamac2002
Expert Poster

Re: NWN 2 - Sundays

Post by tampamac2002 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:52 am

I'm okay with skipping through the dialogue. I'm hoping to be ahead in my solo game. I did mess up on character creation, choosing a scythe for weapon focus. Habit I have when making weapon masters. However, I was intending to make a dwarven defender, so I'm in a bit of a bind. I put the right amount of points in attributes to make the WM, chose a weapon, and building up my intimidate. I can still do the DD, however, a scythe doesn't fit with the whole defending idea. Should have probably picked a one handed weapon. I'm open to suggestions on which way to proceed from here.
Elaura, I don't really need a shield, although a scythe would be nice. I'm thinking a keen scythe would be handy in the future.
Is NWN2 set up like PnP, where you can keep enchanting your current magic weapon? For instance, if I have a +1 scythe and want to add keen, can I do that at a later time, or does it all have to be enchanted at the same time?
I had a fun time also. Look forward to playing again Sunday.
I'm going to look up about using the WASD keys, and see if there is truth to it lagging the system. I'm so used to using them, I couldn't help using them even after hearing that I shouldn't. I'll work on it, if it's an issue with lag.

Mac

Oh, about the bard, I'm playing one in my solo game. There are three songs that you can activate permanently. You either get a plus to AC, skill rolls, or Attack & Damage. Yes, the last one is a bonus to both to hit and damage. The song stays active as long as you don't drop or change it. It is seperate from the 'normal' bard song. In the bottom right corner is a tab called Modes, there should also be one for Bard. I think the G button will hide or reveal the two tabs. Just thought I'd mention it, since it's a freebie for us all. I used it last night after our game together ended. My rogue missed opening a chest by one point, I changed to the skill bonus song and got the chest opened. Guess I could have used the lockpicks as well, forgot about that.

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:21 am

There's a limit to the amount of enchantments a weapon or armor can have, but I don't think they have to be applied at the same time. I guess we'll find out.

As for bards, we're not taking one with us because the one we run across isn't essential to any quests.

tampamac2002
Expert Poster

Post by tampamac2002 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:12 am

I mispoke about the bard, I though we had one, turns out we have a favored soul. My mistake.

Having fun, look forward to each session. I think if we can have the rogue draw enemies, I'll hide behind a wall or door and clog them up at the doorway. If you see me hiding by a wall in front of you and enemies are stopping to shoot at you, move out of thier view so they can come up to me. I am waiting for them after all.

I've had some more experience with the feats available, turns out Keen on a weapon isn't such a big deal. If you take the feat that gives you extra threat range, then keen is a moot point. I'd rather have another + on my weapon and get the keen as a feat.

Mac

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:46 pm

Just remember that the feat only applies to one particular weapon type (longsword, great ax, etc.) It's a good feat, but you're pretty much married to that weapon when you choose it. Then again, if you're going with a Weapon Master, you're pretty much married to a particular weapon anyway. :ugeek:

Elaura and I generally play with the rogue leading our enemies to us for an ambush. We've had too many times in our private game where if we ran to fight a group of enemies, another group would appear behind us, in front of us, or somewhere to the side. Instead of just fighting one group, we're fighting two or more. :shock:

I tried out the Eldrich Knight class on my SP character and I think it'll be a good fit. I'll see how it plays out as I play. I'll loose a casting level, but that won't be much of an issue I don't think.

tinbender
Expert Poster

Post by tinbender » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:13 pm

Fish fry just got rescheduled to tonight. I will try to make it but the timing may not work out for me

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:31 pm

We can skip tonight, Tinbender. To be honest, we have thunderstorms that might be moving in tonight, so I'd rather not chance it anyway. Don't forget to grab the hak, tlk, and campaign files from here: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=346

Also, there is no crafting materials or apparatuses in the mod, so don't waste your skill points taking those skills. I'd add them in but the toolset crashes on me. :x

tampamac2002
Expert Poster

Post by tampamac2002 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:50 am

Game tonight?

Mac

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:01 am

Sorry, we got to watching a NCIS marathon and I forgot to post. :oops:

Anyway, Elaura's modem is very close to going over this month, so we'll have to wait until it resets on the 23rd before we can play again. We get 5 gigs per month with a $.05/megabyte charge if we go over and we're about 7 megs away from that 5 gig cap. Her mother had a virus that was constantly connecting to the Internet and transferring stuff, so we shut it down until it resets. We did remove the virus, so we should be good to go next month. Basically, we'll start the new campaign on the 25th. Maybe this will give me some time to figure out why the toolset crashes and see about adding in crafting if you guys want.

tampamac2002
Expert Poster

Post by tampamac2002 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:23 am

Okay, two weeks from now we'll start ICW, right?
I'm okay with skipping the crafting. As long as the game is a good copy of the original, we should be fine with a wide variety of weapons.

Mac