Current status of MMORPG's

For anything not NWN or NWN2 related (but please put Dungeons and Dragons stuff, and roleplaying game and video game stuff in the General Discussion forum)
Forrestwolf
Newbie Poster

Current status of MMORPG's

Post by Forrestwolf » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:50 am

I actually wanted to check how the general community at NWC feels about MMORPG's these days. Is it like it seems to me - they're still stuck in the same EQ, kill-monsters-loot-do dumb quests, sort of mode they always have been - or are there MMORPG's that really break that mold?

I have to say that NWN PW's seem to be so much more than that - and of course DM'd games can't even be compared. Is the MMORPG really what the general gaming public thinks of in terms of online RPG'ing these days? That's really sad if so - a lot of them are very good roleplayers in pen-and-paper, and have no clue how much more online RPG'ing could be.

NWN DM

Re: Current status of MMORPG's

Post by NWN DM » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:58 am

Forrestwolf wrote:I actually wanted to check how the general community at NWC feels about MMORPG's these days. Is it like it seems to me - they're still stuck in the same EQ, kill-monsters-loot-do dumb quests, sort of mode they always have been - or are there MMORPG's that really break that mold?
Not that I've found... really even if you try to RP, you're reduced to interacting with people who aren't interested. Then all you do is run monsters and collect loot (in my experience).
Forrestwolf wrote:I have to say that NWN PW's seem to be so much more than that - and of course DM'd games can't even be compared. Is the MMORPG really what the general gaming public thinks of in terms of online RPG'ing these days? That's really sad if so - a lot of them are very good roleplayers in pen-and-paper, and have no clue how much more online RPG'ing could be.
PWs for NWN and NWN2 seem to follow a similar pattern in my experience.

Sure, most advertise that RP is their "be-all and end-all" of existence, but logon and you'll find that you are 1st level and everyone else is 9th+ and it's hard to find people to interact with.

Obsidian with NWN2 seems to be driving this mentality, perhaps unconsciously in my opinion. Almost every MP related post seems to refer to "PW usage", neglecting exactly what you stated: a DMed game makes all other types of games pale in comparison.

Dane Bramage
Expert Poster

Post by Dane Bramage » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:06 pm

i have several thoughts on this subject. the thing that i find most odd about the MMO genre is that most people that play... in my experience... don't really interact at all. when you read articles about any MMO in the game magazine, part of the discussion always centers around how easy (or not) it is to solo. but wait a moment... its an MMO... what happened to the multiplayer part?

part of the problem stems from the consensus that to be an RPG... all a game needs is a leveling system for character development and some dialogs with some choices. that is what is considered role playing.

now... if we take a look at the world's most popular MMO... world of warcraft... they have the formula down pretty pat. it's just as you say, forestwolf, no RP, grind, grind, grind, talk smack over the trade channel and maybe do a raid... otherwise, just stand around the bank in Orgrimmar and talk shit to people and show off your bling. here's the kicker... PEOPLE LOVE IT! over 10 million of them, in fact.

what is the difference between NWN PWs and all the other MMOs? not sure that there is. at least, i'm not sure that there is MUCH of a difference. of course, the main difference is the ability (and high probability) of DM interaction in a NWN PW. there are "game masters" in WoW, but their purpose is to deal with bots and customer service issues, not posses NPCs and run quests. the other main difference is that in the better RP servers, people are actually in character... which you just never find in a standard MMO. other than that, i don't really see much of a difference. granted, i haven't played on a lot of them, so i could be totally missing the base here. the one big attraction to a NWN PW is the possibility of the PCs actions having lasting effect upon the game world. this is just not possible in a commercial MMO.

i think the WoW formula is going to be the standard for the MMO genre in general. it's totally what the masses want. lets face it, we are a minority in the game world.

Venture
Site Admin

Post by Venture » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:12 pm

I haven't played an MMO since Everquest 2 about 4+ years ago. Back then at least, the problem seemed to be the same problem as what I saw in EQ1 - the sheer number of people make it impossible to have a real RP environment, even on a roleplay server. Even if you find a few people willing to roleplay, you'll be dwarfed in numbers by the people who don't. It's kind of hard to RP when everything else going on around you is all sorts of nonsense.

Dragonstar
Veteran Poster

Post by Dragonstar » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:17 pm

My husband plays Dungeons & Dragons Online. Never seems to tire of it. But he freely admits there isn't one iota of RP involved, and if someone does try, they're almost ostracized.

On the other hand, I do know of some from NWC, and even my own PW, play WoW and DDO, who play with like-minded rpers and ignore the grinders.

*shrugs* My reflexes aren't fast enough to play against the young kids any more; not sure they ever were. *grins*

Urk

Post by Urk » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:53 pm

I still have my ultima online account, but I never actually play it. I still play runequest from time time. When I can't sleep I put on some cheap armor, grab a cheap weapon, and train on greater demons. Inevitably I pass out in my chair and wake up after having been killed so I can stumble off to bed and sleep like a baby. It's a much healthier sedative than pills or booze.

Ariel
Newbie Poster

Post by Ariel » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:20 pm

MMO's all seem to follow the same pattern, quest, kill, loot. I've not seen any of the newer ones break this mold, and actually seem to advertise more of it.

As for myself, I got my start into roleplaying on a nwn PW Krynnhaven which was full of wonderfull DMs and roleplayers. Sure, they had respawning camps, but that wasn't the object. People were always in character, you felt as though you lived there in that environment.

Since the demise of KH, I have long looked for another roleplaying experience in nwn. Unable to find anything that suited me, I descided to create my own and hence The Badlands PW was born. It's been 4+ years running now and a lot of fun though recently I see a decrease in players.

NWN2 hasn't shown me anything other than pretty graphics, the multiplayer interface seems cobby at best and I can't for the life of me find a server where anyone is really roleplaying. I so wish this weren't true, being a huge dragon lance fan I am jonesing for another pw based on that setting.
/Ariel

Return to “Off Topic”