The Dragon's Village 2017

Moderator:Lazybones

Karvon
Forum God
Re: The Dragon's Village 2017

Post by Karvon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Gojiro didn't like these realms. Even with his quick reflexes he still couldn't dodge every bolt of lightning that flashed about the group. He kept telling himself greater risks meant greater rewards, but still, one had to survive to enjoy the fruits of victory. He pondered why he'd ever fallen in with these people?

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:06 pm

Session 28

+1200xp for full-party IC posting this week.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:00 pm

((Server is up.))

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:25 pm

The next and final module in the series, TDV5: Warriors of Eternity, will begin with you receiving your rewards for your service in stopping the spirit invasion at Cloud Mountain.

The imperial official will offer each member of the party their choice of reward:
  • A +3 weapon or shield of your choice.
  • A Greater Robe of Dedication of your choice (Earth, Water, Fire, or Water). These are stronger versions of the robes that have appeared in the previous mods; each is +3 AC with an additional special property.
  • A Greater Shugenja's Robe, with the same choices as above. These are all AC5+3, with additional properties based on the type.
  • A +4 stat item of your choice (e.g., Boots of Striding, Bracers of Dexterity).
  • 10,000 gold pieces.
Please let me know in advance what you'd like so I can get it queued up in-game.

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Post by smartalec » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:44 pm

((Items I have spare:

Belt: Slashing AC+1
Amulet: Frost Resist 10
Amulet: Saving Throws +2
Amulet: Will saves +3

If any of those fill a place, let me know!

We also have some AC5, +4 chain mail floating around somwhere, I think...))

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:18 am

The group ventured further in the realm of darkness fighting more spirits, shadows and immaterial beings. Often they found themselves drained of strength if not worse. Some were also poisoned. Eventually they faced the one who was the source of the unrest back home and defeated him. Yet, it was not the end has he came back as a shadow to fight again. After a while the group was transported back to the grove of the tiny royalties and from there back to the frozen land...

//

Items:
Not wearing any (enchanted) helm/hood, ring, boots, (enchanted) robe/pants at the moment.

Spare stuff?!
1 Amulet of luck (+1 saves) and that is all.

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:02 am

I think I went a bit over the top with the amulets on this campaign...

TDV6: The Dragon's Amulet Shoppe

Karvon
Forum God

Post by Karvon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:38 am

After battling assorted spirits and lessor demons, the party confronted and slew the demon they'd been hunting, only to discover they couldn't really kill him; his spirit survived and fought on. In a running fight, they managed to recover the seal and replace it where it belonged, closing the rift between the planes - at least for now. While he got in an occasional blow, Gojirio was disappointed overall with his performance vs the demon, so decided that a belt of strength might help in most in future such situations.

//
I've very little in the way of spare stuff; haven't been picking up things of late...

I have a spare set of medium armor maybe +2? I've got a staff which is +1 or +2 maybe.

I'm using the chainmail we got from the builders - given me by Wen - in combat situations. I've got a minor set of hide armor we got early on for killing that forest beasty +1 plus some fire/cold DR, which I wear when scouting ahead.

I suppose I could make use of the Amulet +2 saves, if no one else is interested in it.

For my reward item, I"m going for a +4 STR item, so that'll be a belt off the generic items list.

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Post by smartalec » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:31 pm

The swords rang in the wide hall. A stroke from the right met in mid flight, then the left, from on high, over and over, faster and faster, a straight plain sword of the army clashing against one of the curved katana of the capital. For that is where they fought - Wen, and the grey-bearded master, the sword-sage of the Imperial court. For twenty years he had wandered and fought, understanding the notion of sword - and feeling himself growing old, had accepted the invitation to live and practice and teach at the capital, as befitted an artist. Niten Doraku was his name, and this service of sparring with another was not one he gave lightly.

Wen had been in good spirits after the battles beyond the seal of Cloud Mountain's monastery, and he had travelled with some of them back to the heart of the Empire, bearing the word. And along the way, he had done two things: practiced his swordwork, and ruminated on the nature of it, over and over, whenever they stopped - until some had earestly told him to stop.

Still, he arrived at the capital with a head full of thoughts, and after giving the word of what had happened, he had begged one thing of the court. An audience with a master of the sword, someone with whom he could speak with on the finer points of the Way.

As it turned out, Niten Doraku hadn't been much for speaking with words. Indeed, as he explained - his sword was far more eloquent than he ever could be. And so, he and the young Wen had fought.

The ringing of metal slowly died as Doraku called solah, and the two men caught their breath. Doraku's sword had defeated Wen's guard seven times in four hours; Wen's sword had found a way past Doraku's guard only once in that time. But it had been a time that had made the old master's eyebrows raise, and that was something.

Wen sheathed the blade - this wasn't Fighting Steel, no, that blade of legend rested nearby; it didn't do to use such a weapon in a lesson like this - and bowed his thanks. As they left the tatami, Wen spoke. "Your skill is what I aspire to, Master Doraku," he admitted. "In all your years, you have never considered the idea of an eternal truth to this art?"

Wen had asked the question as soon as he and the old man had met; Doraku had seemed unimpressed with it. He frowned with silvery eyebrows, stroking his beard. "No, young man. There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. You should seek nothing, outside of yourself."

Wen frowned in turn, as they sat at the nearby table. “But it was written by the Sword Saint of the South, 'It is difficult to understand the universe, if you only study only one world.'”

Doraku grunted. “I have read those writings. They are clumsy poetry trying to capture a thing that has no shape. There is rhythm, even in being shapeless."

Wen blinked, to hear such ancient wisdom disparaged in such a way. “It is said - I think, these are the words of the Great Dragon himself - that to realize the true Way, one must know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things.”

Pouring tea, Doraku gave a single, unimpressed bark of a laugh. “That one was not one for letters or speeches. I say, to know ten thousand things, know one thing well. You think too much, boy.”

A memory flitted through Wen's thoughts; of the forest-woman Moriko's antics, mimicking his stances. Wen knows! she had said. But... did he know what he knew?

Even in this, he realised, he was still thinking. What did that mean? "But it was written, by the Blacksmith of the Stone Palace, that 'the sword is more than a simple weapon. It is an answer to life's questions in itself.' And it was also said-”

Doraku seemed displeased. He set down his teacup down firmly, making a solid, sudden clink, interrupting Wen's thought. "Words of so-called great men. I saw them in your mind, and your movements. You quote them well. Now, tell me something from your own mind."

Wen was startled, and blinked at the old man. He started to say something, before realising it was a quote from the Wise Man of Water. He stammered, reddening.

"A sentence of your own!" Doraku demanded. "Now!"

Wen struggled, swallowing. Something bubbled up through the uncertainty. "A... frog... jumps into a pond."

Doraku stared at him for a long, uncomfortable moment, brow deep. Until finally, the old man laughed, mightily amused. "There! True words at last!"

((Ah, Gojiro is using the +4 chainmail? excellent!

EDIT: after Karv's clarification below (I appreciate it), a rethink - strength is good, but sad to give up the belt I recieved. I'll gamble, and go for the 10k purse, see what the market brings. Let's spin that wheel!))
Last edited by smartalec on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karvon
Forum God

Post by Karvon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:12 am

//Just a note on based on my mail to LB... +4 attribute items have to be those generic items already in the game, so, for example, the only option for +4 STR would be a belt, for DEX bracers, for WIS an amulet, for INT a ring, for CHA a cloak, for CON boots.

Return to “Saturday Forgotten Realms Campaign”