Backup Saturday Morning Game Discussion Thread

Moderator:Lazybones

Lazybones
Forum God
Backup Saturday Morning Game Discussion Thread

Post by Lazybones » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:56 pm

This thread is for IC/OOC discussion of my Saturday morning Forgotten Realms campaign as long as NWC is down.

I'm going to weave William's death (and hopeful resurrection) into the plotline.

Yane is absent next week.

The HABD death script seems to be taking a full level when you get raised, instead of 50% as I've set the script. I haven't been able to track down the bug so I've been giving half of the penalty back when people are getting raised. Note that you may still lose a level under this system. When you are able to secure resurrection items the penalty is smaller.

Kylerayner
Newbie Poster

RP: Into the Black

Post by Kylerayner » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:23 pm

Fires blazed on the hilltop as dozens upon dozens of Hobgoblins surrounded the burning fortifications. They were cut off from the others and from the sound of steel on steel in the background, it seemed like help would not be coming anytime soon. His spells nearly spent, William tried to put together a plan of attack with what he had left. Then he saw the beast. He was bigger and more fearsome than any of the others and he was barking out orders to the rest of the bloodthirsty hobgoblins around him.

"That must be Tok..." William muttered to himself.

He sprinted for the hulking goblinoid and stopped 12 feet short. Concentrating hard, he held his hands out. In an instant, a blazing inferno lashed out from his fingertips, engulfing two hobgoblins in close proximity to Tok and giving the Warlord a good singe. The towering goblinoid seemed to consider charging William but instead barked out unintelligible orders and walked off. Almost instantaneously, a large group of the beasts charged at him. He began weaving his hands once more when a blade slashed across his arm, cutting it deep. Keeping his concentration and fighting back the urge to cry out, William send another burning wave of flame from his fingertips, frying two goblins to a crisp. Working quickly to aim a spell at the rest of the approaching monsters, he raised his hand to let off another volley...A surprised look came across his face as he saw the blade protruding from his midsection. The hobgoblin standing in front of him grinned wickedly and laughed as he twisted the blade and kicked William away from him. Time seemed to move nearly at a standstill as the goblins rushed off. As William lie there on the cold ground, he could see Melegeant holding his own against 6 or 7 of the vicious humanoids. He watched for a time and tried to move...he could hear their companions shouting...he tried to move...and that was when everything went black.

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Re: Backup Saturday Morning Game Discussion Thread

Post by Gulfwulf » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:08 pm

Lazybones wrote:The HABD death script seems to be taking a full level when you get raised, instead of 50% as I've set the script. I haven't been able to track down the bug so I've been giving half of the penalty back when people are getting raised. Note that you may still lose a level under this system. When you are able to secure resurrection items the penalty is smaller.
I think Will lost 6000XP, LB. At least that's what the message was that I saw.

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:33 pm

It was Mel, but yes, I saw the same.

Eh, I just opened the mod to double-check, and it was set to 100% in habd_include. So, user error triumphs again. :oops: Well, I gave him back 3000xp.

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:03 pm

And they call me an evil dm... :P

Felrisen
Experienced User

Post by Felrisen » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:59 am

The group's encounter with the Hobgoblin tribe hadn't turned out too good. At least for William, that is. Yane looked down at his lifeless body lying on the floor. He felt sorry for him but he reckoned seeing as they had managed to raise both Mel and Kessel on earlier occasions, they shouldn't have much trouble doing the same for Will.

The whole encounter had a strange feel to it, as if something hadn't gone quite right. They had more or less stumbled upon the fortified hilltop position held by the Hobs. Why the group hadn't fallen back to Greenford when they came under fire, Yane didn't fully understand. Sure, Mel wanted to scout the position fully, Yane could understand that. He could even understand taking out the Ballista when the opportunity arose. What he couldn't understand was sticking around when the sound of horns filled the air and the rest of the tribe turned up in strength. 'Defend the Hilltop' was Mel's battlecry. Get surrounded and trapped was more like it! Yane felt a sense of claustrophobia sweep over him and the memories of their time under the Pyramid came rushing back to him. He had to get out, he just had too!

The next part was a bit hazy. He remembered running down the hillside and making his way to the woods to the east. At some point Olaf was by his side. Then, unaccountably, he found himself advancing back up the hill in Olaf's wake. He picked off a good number of the Hobgolbins with his crossbow while Olaf kept their attention on him. The two of them seemed to work well together. Then they met Xalden and finally Kessel as they reached the hilltop. Bodies littered the area, including that of their two friends. Kessel set about raising Mel but didn't have the means to do the same for Will.

They carried his body to a nearby house and tried to get some rest before heading back. Yane guessed that tomorrow they would visit Greenford to tell the villagers the danger was over and later move onto Timberton to see about raising their Mage friend. What the future held after that the Gods alone knew.

Grollo
Newbie Poster

Post by Grollo » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:13 am

Kessel watched as Melegant wrapped William's body. How in the fires of hell had this happened? One moment he was at the edge of the hill, readying a shot and the next he had slipped down the hill and was on his back with Hobgoblins looming over him.

As they began chopping down with their swords, he scrambled this way and that trying to get back to the hilltop. Melegant was calling for the group to defend the hilltop and here he was exposed, wounded and turned around with two of the beasts pursuing and attacking every time he stopped to get his bearings.

Reaching for his hammer he dealt a wicked blow to the closest creature and heard a grunt of pain. It's partner lunged in and caught a hard blow to the side of Kessel's head and the world went black for a moment. His vision cleared and again he was on the ground, his helm had saved his head from being split like a melon but the Hobgoblins will still standing over him.

Rising to his knees, he swung again at the closest and was rewarded with a resounding kick to the face. Dizzy, off balance and unable to see, Kessel scrambled away again losing the Hobgoblins for a few moments.

Somehow he stumbled on to the others, at least some of them. As the pursuing Hobs jumped in to view, Olaf casually cut the strongest of them down with two strokes of his sword as Yane put an arrow in to the chest of the wounded one, finishing him.

Both Melegant and William laid at the top of the hill, bodies hewn and broken.

As the words of power faded from the ancient scroll he had found, Melegant chest heaved and the paladin began to cough, alive once again. However, he only had had the one scroll...

Dane Bramage
Expert Poster

Post by Dane Bramage » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:41 pm

Meleagant stood outside the abandoned house with the pain of death still fresh in his mind and body. The fires of the fortified hilltop still burned in the night. The bodies of the dead could be seen in the flickering orange light. He could still see where he had fallen. The blood that had spilled from his own body pooled black and ran in rivulets down the hill to mingle with the blood of the fallen hobgoblins. How could they abandon him like that? The cowards ran at the first sound from the enemies horns. They were cowards and without honor. Honor… huh… the word seems to have lost all meaning for him. What was he doing associating with these mercenaries? Swords for hire… the order would expel him for even talking to some of them. He didn’t know… he felt lost… confused. He had left his home to search the world for long forgotten elven magic, and he was caught up with mercenaries working for whoever had the heaviest purse. It disgusted him. It was deplorable and it must stop. He would no longer endure the behavior of his “companions”. He would return home and rebuild what was left of his own morality. He walked a short distance away from the building and summoned his mount. At least his god hadn’t abandoned him. He rode off with the burning hilltop to his back. He heart was heavy in the knowledge that he had failed in his personal quest. He knew he would be laughed at by his kinsman once he returned to Silverymoon. He would only nod and agree and pray.

life and home improvement have caught up with me. saturdays are no longer mine, so i must bid the group goodbye. it was good fun while it lasted. each and every one of you are great role players proven by the fact that our characters didn't get a long very well. that is a tough thing to do since most people will want for harmonious party interaction. you kep true to the vision of your character despite some uncomfortable situations. good job all around. hope that we may run across each other in game sometime in the future.

kind regards, DB.

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:45 am

Sorry to lose you, DB.

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:20 pm

Lazybones wrote:Sorry to lose you, DB.
Yeah. You're a good player, Dane, hopefully you can make it back sometime. :)

Return to “Saturday Forgotten Realms Campaign”