Heroes of the Peloponnese Game Thread

Moderator:Lazybones

Lazybones
Forum God
Heroes of the Peloponnese Game Thread

Post by Lazybones » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:12 am

This campaign module allows you and your fellow players to take on the role of Greek heroes during the mythological age of antiquity. This setting calls for some changes to the NWN ruleset. The campaign starts out at a very low power level, but the player characters will quickly rise to become heroes whose names become part of the legends of ancient Greece.

Disclaimer: While I was a historian in a past life, this module plays fairly fast and loose with historical accuracy. The campaign is set roughly during the Bronze Age collapse that afflicted most of the eastern Mediterranean from 1100-800 BCE, but I’ve mixed a few eras and details in the telling of the story. And of course there will be gods, magic, and heroes aplenty.

Custom Content

This module uses the following haks:

I have created a custom top-level hak for this module, which I will post online prior to the start of the campaign.
The Community Expansion Pack (CEP), version 2.3, available for download from the Neverwinter Vault (http://nwvault.ign.com/?dir=cep/downloads).
Tileset haks: All of the haks should be placed in the hak folder in your NWN directory.

Character Creation

This module uses server vault characters. Part of the first game session will be reserved for character creation. You may want to outline your character prior to the start of play, so that you can made character building decisions relatively quickly in the game.

Player characters should follow the guidelines below.
  • Race: all player characters will be human (and will use the “human” race selection when building their characters).
  • Gender: male or female characters can be played as desired.
  • Alignment: any non-evil.
  • Allowed starting classes: any. The monk class is reclassified as the “athlete” in this setting, and represents an individual who has trained his or her body to the height of physical accomplishment. Clerics should select one of the Olympian gods to worship.
  • Character background: player characters all begin as residents of the small village of Mantineia. See “Player Character Mentors” below for more information. By default the players will be young adults with no surviving family, but if you would like to change that, contact the DM. I am happy to add additional NPCs to reflect character backgrounds.
  • Feats and skills are unchanged from NWN, but note that heavy armors are extremely rare in this setting. Similarly, crossbows haven’t yet been invented, and swords larger than the short sword are very uncommon. The standard gear of the Greek soldier includes the xiphos (short sword), the dory (heavy spear), and the aspis (large/tower shields). Throwable javelins have been implemented, and use the dart proficiency/feat chain.
  • Starting gear: all players will be issued a simple chiton (tunic) at the start of play. While some basic weapons are available in Mantineia, you should be prepared for limited access to many items during the first few sessions of play. Early play will be very low powered, with the most common weapons being staffs, clubs, daggers, and slings.
Resources

Wikipedia has some pages that might be useful in preparing your characters, including a list of Greek names (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_names) and this list of Ancient Greeks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ancient_Greeks). Players who are considering playing a cleric might want to look at this article on the major Olympian gods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Olympians). But no knowledge of Greek history or mythology is necessary to play.

Player Character Mentors

At the start of play, player characters should select one of the following residents of Mantineia to serve as a mentor. These NPCs will play a key role in the early campaign. If you have an idea for a mentor that is not covered here, contact your DM.
  • Miltiades: The Soldier. A veteran of the army of Argos, Miltiades is now the smith of the village of Mantineia. While some of the muscle he had during his time in the phalanx has gone to fat, he is still the strongest man in the village by far. Can serve as a mentor for fighters, barbarians, rangers, or paladins.
  • Aristarchus: The Mage. An old wizard, currently resident in the village of Mantineia. According to some accounts, he was originally from a territory far to the east, beyond even the boundaries of Persia. He once was an advisor to the King of Argos, but now prefers to spend his time in contemplation of philosophy. Village rumor put his age at over a hundred years, but of course it would be impolite to discuss such things openly. Can serve as a mentor for wizards or sorcerers.
  • Androcles: The Singer. A singer and poet. His talent with his voice and lyre is unmistakable, but he also has are wide assortment of other skills, including some shady talents that suggest he has had other careers in his life. He doesn't speak much of his past, and seems content to spend his remaining days in Mantineia. Can serve as a mentor for bards or rogues.
  • Pedaeus: The Athlete. Now an old man, in his prime Pedaeus was one of the leading atheletes of all Greece. He participated in three Olympic Games, and took prizes in distance running, the javelin throw, and wrestling. Can serve as a mentor for barbarians, monks, fighters, or rogues.
  • Ismene: The Priestess. Part priestess, part oracle, part seer, Ismene is the religious advisor of the village of Mantineia. She lives alone, in a simple shelter near the Temple of the Olympians atop the cliffs southeast of the village. Can serve as a mentor for paladins, clerics or druids.

Lazybones
Forum God

Re: Heroes of the Peloponnese Player Guide

Post by Lazybones » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:02 pm

I sent out a recruiting call to my former Sunday players. Hopefully 1-2 of those will be able to join us on Saturday when this campaign starts; I've also kept open the option of adding a Sunday morning run if there is enough interest.

One note: I will be traveling for business on the last two Saturdays of September (September 22 and 29) so there will be no sessions those days. We'll see how long GGS goes and then plan things from there.

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:04 pm

I invited one of my players to contact you if he's interested in a Sunday run, LB. I'll also talk to my Wednesday group to see if anybody else would be interested.

Sleet
Newbie Poster

Post by Sleet » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Good day to all. :D

I will join the Sunday ranks if there is voyage planned into the ancient times.

Salute.

Mulu
Experienced User

Post by Mulu » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:52 pm

I just got a gamer mouse and keyboard. I am definitely interested. :)

I also contacted Paul, at his new e-mail.

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:14 pm

I can play an athlete. I can post the char background.

Karvon
Forum God

Post by Karvon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:18 am

I'm leaning towards a rogue this time around.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:48 am

Tempted by either a wizard or a bard, but can be flexible.

Topato
Extreme Poster

Post by Topato » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:42 am

I would like to play a soldier under Miltiades

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Since the Sunday game doesn't look like it's going to happen, I'll take a cleric under Ismene. I'll have to look at the Pantheon later to decide who my guy's going to worship.

Return to “Saturday Forgotten Realms Campaign”