Heroes of the Peloponnese Game Thread

Moderator:Lazybones

Shadani
Extreme Poster
Re: Heroes of the Peloponnese Game Thread

Post by Shadani » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:59 pm

((It occurred to me nobody appeared inclined towards an arcane direction, so I accidentally read all the wikipedia articles on Greek magic and Zoraoastrian and Vedic mysticism. Taking a Third Option, Ho!))

Eleni had always been a curious girl; the sort of child with an unmistakeable talent for asking questions that caused adults to blush, sputter or, following repeated exposure, cry out in frustration. Her mother would often remark, wearily, that she had a mind like a whirlwind - powerful and free, but equally chaotic, with all the subtlety and direction of a drunk satyr. And perhaps more importantly: loud and impossible to shut up.

These qualities have been tempered somewhat with age, though only to a point. What has remained a constant, however, is Eleni's rabid xenophilia - an intense and by this point nearly reflexive interest in everything strange, new, foreign and mysterious. It may have been this aspect of her personality above all others - along with her stubborn refusal to take no for an answer - that led to the old sage Aristarchus taking her under his wing.

As a student, Eleni proved to be overall more successful than the boy Polytropos (with whom she would often share a classroom in the early years of her apprenticeship) though that may not necessarily be saying much. She excelled in the subjects that most fascinated her; histories and lore of distant places, the sciences and above all, the mystic arts. But to Aristarchus' occasional despair, she would often prefer napping, exploring tangents or simple mischief over studying little things like philosophy and ethics. In spite of these shortcomings, she has developed into an enthusiastic - if by no means well-rounded or self-possessed - scholar and budding magi.

This last bit has a tendency of making some of her fellow Mantineians rather nervous, as sorceresses eager to find uses for their powers do not precisely have a universally positive reputation. Thankfully, due to Eleni's familiarity, her oft-disorienting brand of congeniality and the fact that she has not yet transformed anyone into a goat (though she has threatened to do so on occasion - in jest, everyone sincerely hopes) she remains accepted by most of the town. The good reputation of Eleni's long-suffering mother, a virtuous and extraordinarily patient widow, likely helps her in this regard.

Among her many other talents, Eleni has somehow managed to build a substantial collection out of what little interesting, exotic or foreign jewellery, dyes or cosmetics finds its way into the humble village of Mantineia, which has resulted in an eccentric and highly unmistakeable appearance. She appears to finds this only fitting.

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:11 pm

Damien was a robust lad, if a bit insular and contemplative. As he grew, he spent most of his time out in the woods studying nature versus spending time in the village proper. His wanderings led him to Ismene, from whom he learned about the Gods and Goddesses. While he enjoyed the older woman's company, sitting many a night at her feet as she wove tales about the divine, he still preferred nature and came to pay homage to Persephone. In time, he started leading the prayers during the harvest festivals and the equinoxes, privately enjoying his time with the other villagers though he would never openly acknowledge it. He didn't know what the future held, but as long as he had his beloved trees, he would be happy.

Karvon
Forum God

Leonidas

Post by Karvon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:46 am

Androcles! You must do something about that boy, he's stripped some of my best vines bare of fruit. I demand compensation!

Androcles put on a solemn face and nodded gravely. And you saw Leonidas, do this?

The farmer reddened, Well, no, but I saw him loitering near my vineyard earlier today eying my crop. I'm sure he's responsible!

Androcles stroked his chin and pretended to ponder this revelation for a minute or so. My friend, if you did not see him do this thing yourself, and you have no other witnesses, the village elders would not punish him, so how can you expect me to do so?

He's your student, is he not? He's your responsibility! the farmer shouted.

I'll question him about this, of course, Androcles smoothly replied. And if he has done this, I will, naturally, pay your damages, he continued with a false sincerity.

You'd better! the farmer muttered as he turned and stalked away.

Androcles shook his head as he watched the farmer disappear. Leonidas, what ever am I to do with you? He thought to himself.

Leonidas had been a lodestone about his neck for years. He was an orphan. His father, a soldier, had died in some far away place when he was a toddler, and his mother, a pretty, but petite thing, never recovered from her grief and passed away a few years later, about the time he entered the age for schooling.

The village elders first assigned him to Pedaeus with the thought that a physical education might turn him into a future soldier like his father. Leonaidas seemed well-suited for such a path, he was strong, fast and tough - and proved to be a natural wrestler. However, he proved indifferent and undisciplined and Pedaeus soon lost all patience with him.

Thus, the elders had dumped him on Androcles, with directions to make something useful out him. Over time, Androcles discovered Leonidas was rather clever and had a beautiful voice. Efforts to train him as a musician were not particularly successful though, he simply didn't seem to apply himself to anything for any length of time.

Finally, Androcles gave up and indentured him to one of the local shepherds. The outdoor life, with minimal demands, seemed to suit Leonaidas and he thrived, growing up to be shaggy haired, ruggedly built young man. In the winter months, when the flocks were brought down from the hills to graze near the village, Leonidas would stay with Androcles, and study - after a fashion. His good looks and natural charm made him popular with the local girls, and not so with his male peers.

A couple of weeks ago Leonidas and appeared on his doorstep and had announced he was ready to learn to play the harp and sing songs. Androcles warily agreed to take him on again as a student, but quickly discovered he was still indifferent towards the required practice, so progress was slow.

So much potential, Androcles sighed, if only he would apply himself.

Topato
Extreme Poster

Post by Topato » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:43 pm

Telemachus was always big for his age, until he grew to adulthood, when he was big for anyones age. Taller and broader than most anyone else in the village or the villages nearby, he cuts an imposing figure if you don't know him well. Those from the village of Mantineia, however, will know him as a quiet man, not prone to anger or to throwing his weight around.
His large size and generally gentle nature might lead some to assume Telemachus is slow, or stupid, this is not the case; he's a thoughtful man with deep seated convictions.
He currently trains with Miltiades learning the tactics and skills of warfare and the phalanx. He faces the challenges of his training in much the same way as everything else in his life, with stoic, relentless effort and determination.

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Damien wandered through the forest, his large bulk barely marking his passage. He sang to the birds, laid with the panthers and watched the foxes prowling. As dusk descended, he made his way back to the village, but stopped as he heard a low growl. Turning around slowly he saw a large bear sitting a few feet away. He cocked his head and started towards the bear, wondering why it was threatening. The bear growled again, but Damien spoke softly to it until it calmed down. He looked it over and found the reason: an arrow was protruding from its side. Damien frowned and spoke to the bear, "this is going to hurt, my friend." He gritted his teeth and placed one hand on the arrow and the other next to it pressing against the bear's fur. With a quick and sure pull, he yanked the arrow free and threw it to the ground. He held his hands over the bleeding wound and chanted softly and smiled as the blood stopped flowing and the bear's skin started to knit together. He patted the bear and said, "See? That wasn't so bad, was it?" He retrieved the arrow and studied it before shaking his head and starting back towards the village. "I don't recognize this arrow. Maybe Ismene will. I should ask her when I have a chance." Before he made it five feet, he heard the bear struggle to its feet and walk after him. He turned around and stared at the bear. "I've done all I can for you, my friend, but now it's time for you to return to your den." He stopped as the bear's feelings washed over him: it had no den. It was looking for one when it was shot. It was a stranger to these woods and was alone and scared. Damien smiled. "Fine, my friend, you can follow me, but I warn you to stay out of the village. If we're going to be partners, you need a name." He tapped his index finger against his pursed lips for a moment. "Ah! I know. Aias. I shall call you Aias." He smiled as he felt the bear agreeing with the name and the two made their way to Ismene's cottage.

---

OOC: Damien is a druid in case anybody was wondering. :)

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:58 am

After 18 months Eunapia, her mother, returned to the village with the girl as a babe in arms. The villagers had all known there must be a reason the young woman had gone away, but her parents had been uncommunicative about it. "Into service in a great household," they had said, but refused to be pressed on the issue. Much speculation had occurred but gossip had died when a new subject made an appearance, and the woman had become no more than the subject of the occasional passing comment. The return with the child had refreshed the topic.

Old women chattered in hushed speculation, and Eunapia was the subject of many ribald comments between menfolk in the tavern. Not least as no explanation concerning the father was forthcoming. But life in the village went on and, as these things do, the scandal was replaced by other scandals; not that it received no further comment. Eunapia remained unmarried regardless of attention from potential suitors, as Eunapia remained attractive and her merchant father was wealthy by village standards, and seemed to be able to provide for herself and her child without support. And then there was the child, Kataramene.

The girl was totally unlike her mother in most respects. Tall, lithe, and athletic where her mother's family were unexceptional. Imperious, self-assured, clean of feature and form .... and aware of it. A wild child, Kataramene took no interest in the normal feminine activities, her interests lay in physical pursuits. Persuading Pedaeus to pit her against his hopefuls, and Miltiades to teach her the use of weapons. She took pleasure in pitting herself against the men and even more so in beating them, and just as much pleasure in drinking bouts. Consuming ale with the stoutest of them, and raising the hopes of many an admirer while doing so.

To dash them all, as she'd have none, she told them, until she found one good enough.

((Sorry it's late, just wanted to let everyone choose first, but she's a fighter this one. ;) ))

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Post by smartalec » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:15 am

((may switch to Ranger, rather than the awkward fighter/rogue combo.

Also - at least add an -us or an -os to Damian's name, GW! :mrgreen: ))

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:40 am

So we have our cadre:
  • Gulfwulf: Damien, Druid
  • Karvon: Leonidas, Rogue
  • Mirgalen: Andreas, Athlete
  • Smart Alec: Polytropos, Ranger
  • Shadani: Eleni, Sorceress
  • Topato: Telemachus, Barbarian/Fighter
  • Vanya Mia: Kataramene, Fighter
Looks like it will be a fun group!

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:24 am

smartalec wrote:Also - at least add an -us or an -os to Damian's name, GW! :mrgreen: ))
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damian_(given_name)

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Post by smartalec » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:22 am

I know, I know. Sorry for being a bit of a period know-it-all. :( I meant it in jest first, I think - but I think 'Damian' the 3rd-4th century AD Christianised version of the name, is all.

Return to “Saturday Forgotten Realms Campaign”