New Saturday Campaign Discussion Thread

Moderator:Lazybones

Lazybones
Forum God
New Saturday Campaign Discussion Thread

Post by Lazybones » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:14 am

Hey all. We’re getting close to the end of Heroes of the Peloponnese, and I wanted to throw out some options for our next campaign. We’ll go with the majority opinion, so go ahead and post if you want to promote one of these options, or if you have some other idea that you'd like to toss out there.
  • Redemption: A revised version of my “Shades of Moonshae” campaign. Set in the Forgotten Realms. All player characters are priests/divine casters. Starts at first level. I last ran this campaign in 2008; according to my records Felrisen, Karvon, Mirgalen, SmartAlec, and Vanya Mia have played in this campaign before.
  • The Crossroads: A campaign in which all of the player characters are gnomes and/or halflings. Begins in a small village and expands with the PCs getting drawn into various plots in the surrounding areas dominated by humans and other “big folk.” This campaign is also set in the Forgotten Realms and starts at first level. SmartAlec and Vanya Mia played this campaign when I ran it in 2013 for my Monday group; if we do it again I have some ideas that would allow them to tackle the game from a fresh perspective.
  • X-COM: A total conversion using the d20 Modern hak set, based on the classic 1994 MicroProse game (rather than the 2012 remake). Last run in 2008-09. Karvon, Mirgalen, SmartAlec, and Vanya Mia have played this one before. This time: you play the aliens.
My current estimate is that we’ll finish Heroes in late October.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Re: New Saturday Campaign Discussion Thread

Post by Vanya Mia » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:55 pm

Fairly open here, as I'm relatively easy to please and don't mind doing re-runs. However:
  • Redemption: A revised version of my “Shades of Moonshae” campaign. Set in the Forgotten Realms. All player characters are priests/divine casters. Starts at first level. I last ran this campaign in 2008; according to my records Felrisen, Karvon, Mirgalen, SmartAlec, and Vanya Mia have played in this campaign before. Don't remember doing this, unless it was blended into the long epic run that began with Torgen's Delve, which would make the all priests thing interesting.
  • The Crossroads: A campaign in which all of the player characters are gnomes and/or halflings. Begins in a small village and expands with the PCs getting drawn into various plots in the surrounding areas dominated by humans and other “big folk.” This campaign is also set in the Forgotten Realms and starts at first level. SmartAlec and Vanya Mia played this campaign when I ran it in 2013 for my Monday group; if we do it again I have some ideas that would allow them to tackle the game from a fresh perspective. Shadani and Topato will also have done the original version, as I'm running it on Mondays for another group and near completion, though the changes may make a difference.
  • X-COM: A total conversion using the d20 Modern hak set, based on the classic 1994 MicroProse game (rather than the 2012 remake). Last run in 2008-09. Karvon, Mirgalen, SmartAlec, and Vanya Mia have played this one before. This time: you play the aliens. My jaw dropped at this idea!

Felrisen
Experienced User

Post by Felrisen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:02 pm

I agree with VM, an XCOM game from the side of the Aliens is an awesome idea! :D

However my own preference would be more on the lines of a city adventure perhaps Greyhawk style. One or two characters in the local thieves guild, some mercs perhaps free lance or working for a guard guild, a wandering Sage and local cleric that somehow end up become involved with each other and local politics. Not so much wandering the realm but more back alleys, marketplaces and taverns. Fights more reminiscent of a western bar-room brawl or a fight to the death in the street outside.

I imagine it wouldn't have to be a prolonged adventure in style we've become accustomed (bows to LB!) but maybe a dozen or twenty sessions where cross, double cross and triple cross is to be expected!

That's my two cents! 8-)

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:44 am

I'm game for any if you need an extra player or co-dm, LB. Our renovations are pretty much on hold until we get the money to finish them.

RogueZair
Experienced User

Post by RogueZair » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:00 am

My only request is that the next campaign start at 1st level. It's a steep learning curve to come in with a dozens of skills/spells and very little real experience about how they work! Other than that, I'm fine with anything. Very much looking forward to more.

One caveat is that I may miss a few sessions in October or so because my wife and I are moving back into our house that has been under construction for almost a year. I should be able to make time for the game, but there may be a gap in my internet connection that will make it impossible for me to join.
~Zair (a.k.a. Zokos, Gabe, etc)

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:30 am

X-COM no brainer here now that I have seen the whole UFO serie.

Do not remember playing the other campaign unless I came up very late in the game with my epic cleric (around lvl 25 IIRC).
Would this be the one with flying ships and assault on fortress in some remote mountain?

Also, there is a lot of work needed to make a fresh campaign and run it. As much as I like to play something in Westeros for instance I would prefer one of the option given by LB.

Peace.

Shadani
Extreme Poster

Post by Shadani » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:10 pm

Like VM said, it looks like half the party will already have done Crossroads by the time we finish up Heroes. I've always wanted to try out the X-COM campaign after hearing about it from SA and VM, though, and the twist sounds... well, like it can't possibly fail to be interesting, at the very least. So my order of preference would be:

1) X-COM
2) Redemption
3) Crossroads

Topato
Extreme Poster

Post by Topato » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:49 pm

I vote x-com! Playing the aliens seems interesting. How would that work? They're all meant to be controlled by implants and psychically dominated by the Ethereals. I wouldn't mind playing a muton though heh.

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:26 pm

It seems like we have a consensus for X-COM.

I have a plot in mind that would explain why this particular group of aliens are not just ethereal puppets. And it will start at first level, though you'd have a chance to play as any of the alien types through the course of the campaign.

I guess I need to start building. :)

We can do Redemption after that since it seems nobody (including myself) remembers events that far back. :p

Topato
Extreme Poster

Post by Topato » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:37 pm

Return to “Saturday Forgotten Realms Campaign”