Devotion Campaign Planning and Discussion Thread

Moderator:Lazybones

Lazybones
Forum God
Devotion Campaign Planning and Discussion Thread

Post by Lazybones » Sun May 03, 2015 5:18 pm

This thread is for pre-campaign planning and in-character posting once it is underway. This first post serves as the Player Guide for the campaign.

Campaign Overview

Devotion is based on a campaign I originally created in 2003 called Shades of Moonshae, augmented with considerable quantities of new material. Some of you have played in that campaign in one of my previous runs, but in order to avoid spoiling the story for newer players you should avoid using player knowledge of events from that campaign in the course of this run.

The campaign is set in the Forgotten Realms setting, with play beginning in the Moonshae Isles off the coast of Faerûn. The campaign begins on the tiny island of Haven Rock, at a monastery called the Temple of All Faiths. At this place a community of priests that pays honors to the major deities of the Faerûnian pantheon has gathered for peaceful contemplation of the mysteries of the divine. The mysterious but powerful woman known only as the Prelate who runs the monastery ensures a strict truce for all residents and guests. While discussion and debate are encouraged, doctrinal squabbles are forbidden while at the site.

I haven't tied this campaign to specific events in Realms canon, but consider it be after the Time of Troubles but before the Spellplague (so right in the middle of the 3rd edition continuity, which is the default setting of the Neverwinter Nights single-player campaigns).

The player characters are junior residents of the Temple when the campaign begins.

Character Creation Guidelines

Player characters begin at first level. All player characters will be divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, or rangers) at the start of play. Multiclassing is allowed, but the first level should be in a spellcasting class. Any of the NWN default races are allowed.

Players should select a Forgotten Realms deity to serve during character creation. You can coordinate with the others in this selection if you wish, but that is not required. Multiple player characters may serve the same deity, but I think that the campaign will be more interesting if we have a range of archetypes. Any good- or neutral-aligned deity may be selected (evil gods may be selected in consultation with the DM).

If you are not familiar with the Forgotten Realms, there are many resources online that can help you with your selection, including Wikipedia (link to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fo ... ms_deities) and the Forgotten Realms Wiki (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Deities).

Characters will begin with a small amount of gold and a basic robe. Additional gear will be selected in-game.

Game Notes

The DMFI widgets package has been installed in the module. HABD bleeding/death rules and Supply-Based Rest are implemented.

At the start of the campaign, the difficulty slider will be set to "D&D Hardcore Rules." This means that full PVP will be in effect and monster attacks can inflict critical hits. I have balanced the campaign so that it should be doable without constant TPKs. Remember that clerics have access to a range of spells that can reduce damage taken.

Feel free to post questions or engage in pre-campaign discussion in this thread.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Re: Devotion Campaign Planning and Discussion Thread

Post by Vanya Mia » Sun May 03, 2015 5:42 pm

Sounds good!

If you want a standard skill set copy of that onchat dice script then I have one LB.

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Sun May 03, 2015 6:41 pm

I'm thinking about a Dwarven cleric/fighter/DD who worships Clangeddin Silverbeard. I'll upload an avatar here later. Speaking of which, you can upload files here: just use the PostReply button on the lower left, then add attachment underneath the post window. Just make sure your files are 7z, zip, or rar because no other types will be accepted.

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Thu May 14, 2015 3:10 pm

Now would be a good time to play a paladin (starting as cleric if necessary to meet campaign rules).
Male, Human (name, deity, background: TBC)

Skill: Taunt when used by paladin should be seen more like a challenge (e.g. "I dare you to fight me here and now!")

Code of Conduct (partial)

No use of range weapons for combat (too cowardly).
A knight may flee to fight another day but the ultimate sacrifice (to die to protect those in need) must be accepted if required.
A knight must be humble. A knight does not need gold but should not need to beg either (for food or shelter).

The text below is taken from "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant"

Do not hurt when holding is enough
Do not wound when hurting is enough
Do not maim when wounding is enough
And kill not when maiming is enough
The greatest warrior is he who does not need to kill

Should a knight/paladin seek and destroy all Evil?
Short answer no. Evil acts must be stopped.
It does not mean that all things/creatures considered evil should be given no opportunity to change or be forgiven.

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Fri May 15, 2015 1:19 am

Mirgalen wrote:Now would be a good time to play a paladin (starting as cleric if necessary to meet campaign rules).
I think a paladin as you described would fit in just fine with the campaign setting. Let me know if you need help selecting a deity.

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Fri May 15, 2015 12:22 pm

Thanks LB.

I am trying to find equivalent of Saint Cuthbert or Heironeous in the FR settings. I would rather avoid Tyr and Torm.

Perhaps I should play some kind of helmite templar.

If not human, I could play something more exotic like 1/2 elf or 1/2 orc (using Xanos or similar portrait).

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Fri May 15, 2015 3:45 pm

Helm is quite consistent with the ideas in your original post. You could also consider Ilmater and Lathander.

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Sat May 16, 2015 12:26 am

Character Update:

Given Name: Pius Noble (or Pius Nobel), race Half-Orc (he could be 1/3 or 1/4 Orc or Ogre but he shall treated as 1/2 Orc in NWN)

He is orphan found scavenging food at a young age (probably 4 or 5 years old) by Brother Hubert, old priest of Helm and taken to the temple. It is said that the Oracle predicted a great future for the young half breed who barely knew how to speak and could not tell where he was from and why he was alone.

Soon, the monster as the other kids would call him found his place among the others learning quickly how to read, write, cook, clean, wash and use a staff or stick to defend himself. At that point, he was given a proper name. The elders including Hubert who was on his death bed decided that he deserved better than to be called "Monster", "Half-Breed", "Bastard" or "Un-named" and called him Pius Noble.

During the following years he served as a page hoping that one day he himself could become a knight of Helm...

Topato
Extreme Poster

Post by Topato » Sat May 30, 2015 4:42 pm

I'm in for this one, I'll start kicking around character ideas and post when I've got something.

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:10 am

At the moment it looks like that the Devotion campaign will begin on June 27, though there is an outside chance it could be June 20 or July 4.

Return to “Saturday Forgotten Realms Campaign”