The Dragon's Village 2017

Moderator:Lazybones

smartalec
Extreme Poster
Re: The Dragon's Village 2017

Post by smartalec » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:47 pm

Wen nods wearily at Huo Da's words, looking down at Fighting Steel with concern. "A long task. And a hard one. Swords did not serve well in there... not an accident, I am sure. Those creatures of stone and earth barely felt even this sword."

He frowned, looking up at the others. "We first ran into the clay warrior on the road to Taizhou, some weeks before we met you, Master Huo," he adds, with discomfort. "If it did not escape from the Emperor's Tomb... it must have been made by someone else. The thief of the tomb. And even if we assume that it was the first of its' kind... then that thief has had a long time to work."

He seems to think a moment, and shakes his head. "I do not know where to start. Maybe, if that one soldier wandered... maybe somewhere near Taizhou is a place we can pick up some trail. But... I do not know how useful a trail is, against a thief who can walk through a mountain... and disappear into the stones."

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:21 pm

"We should ask the trees!" Moriko exclaimed, then paused and frowned. "Though they say tall-two-legs move to fast to see properly. We should ask the birds!" There was another pause. "Though they think you move too slowly for them to notice you move so get frightened when you do. We should ask the flowers!" Another pause ensued. "Though they think you look funny because they can see right up your nose. We should ask the ...."

She stopped as Master rumbled. "Or we can do that, yes."

Shadani
Extreme Poster

Post by Shadani » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:56 pm

"Moriko is... not wrong," Ning said. "When confronted with ignorance, a fool pretends to wisdom while the wise seek counsel. I think there are at least a handful of people who might be more helpful than the trees and flowers, though. This is a mortal problem, caused by mortal hands."

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:37 pm

Session 30

+1350xp for full-party IC posting this week.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:04 pm

((Server is up.))

Karvon
Forum God

Post by Karvon » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:49 pm

The group was dispatched to the western borders of the empire in pursuit of links to the clay warriors. Not far from their destination, they were attacked by assassins. Gojiro frowned as he picked up several of their blades. He pulled out and compared the blade he'd been carrying for years now; there was no doubt, they were nearly a perfect match. He pondered the implications as they pressed on to the city. While the others checked in he made rounds of the merchants and unloaded party loot. Once shares were distributed, he bought a few supplies and the odd trinket or two.

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Thu May 03, 2018 12:23 am

"Master, what is your fighting style and what should be mine?"
The old monk turned to Tenko frowning at the question "Fighting style? Hm... Do I have a fighting style? And I suppose you have one of that young fox?"
Tenko was a bit embarrassed, apparently his new master was able to see through him, even the fact that he was not really human, a thing he had learned to keep secret growing up in the slums. "Er... Master, I am not supposed to say this but I was trained in ninjutsu."
"Really" asked the Master "Show me!"

Months had passed since Tenko was deeply humbled by the old Monk he could not even touch once during their first fight, the old man knew many fighting styles, Mantis, Tiger, Cobra, Dragon, he had mastered weapons like staff and nunchaku.

Over time, Tenko was able to learn some of that. Having renounced his old way and in particular the use of the ninja-to the young fox had learned to use his body in new and better ways "Sometimes, to win you must be like water"... "You kama is your friend, you may even need two friends but don't forget to use your fists or your staff or anything that will work based on the situation and the style of your opponent, find weaknesses and ways to disable or defeat your opponent. Avoid fatal blows if you can."

Over time and since leaving the village Tenko had adjusted his fighting style and his weapons. Growing in strength and power he had given up his crossbow only keeping some shurikens to lure enemies into an ambush. He was now using kamas mostly (farming tools turned into weapons) and sometimes the Dragon style or the Iron Fists to break doors and fight creatures with rock like skin. He had not used his staff in a long time. He was mostly using it to walk but when the group was attacked by bandits of some kind on the road he decided the staff was suitable for "a proper beating". As his friends were dealing with the bandits who were already on the road he rushed up the hill taking down those who were shooting at the group or using magic including the leader. Then he remembered the words of the old Master. "If you really want a style, the secret is not to have one."

Klasa
Expert Poster

Post by Klasa » Fri May 04, 2018 5:37 am

The problems were increasing as time passed, but the same could not be said for answers. The one they were sent to meet was gone and furthermore they were attacked on the road by brazen bandits who seemed more interested in taking their lives than their gold, now that Huo reflected on it. There were no demands, simply an ambush.

A calculated attack, but one which relied on knowing exactly where they'd be going to if indeed they were the targets. Which led to implications which he preferred not to consider, considering the few people who would have known where they were going and the path they were taking. And as Tenko also pointed out the fact that they all were prone to fully introducing themselves to everyone and anyone probably didn't help to making it harder for their hunters to follow, albeit he was sure they had never even considered it a possibility, most likely.

But then as well fake names would not work as they were working for the Emperor and under his name, and so hiding their identities was likely impossible to begin with, really. They would just have to wait for the next attack to try and gleam any more information on their attackers, as with how well outfitted they were there was little chance their enemies would stop at only one attempt.

"Jya. . . I hope she doesn't dally too long before returning back here, as much fun as hunting star forged blades and spiders sound."

Topato
Extreme Poster

Post by Topato » Fri May 04, 2018 7:31 am

As Tian caught up with the group, they filled him in on the details of the attempted assassination.

"This seems most strange to me. Not that we would have enemies that wished us dead, we have come into contention with many groups and entities. But we have left most of them ruined by the encounter. Of those who might survive, who would use this methodology? This is more the province of vendettas and human politics than the kind of affairs we have concerned ourselves with."

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Post by smartalec » Fri May 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Wen pauses from sharpening and oiling his sword, looking up at the commentary, and nodding as Tian arrives. He listens to Tian's words, tilts his head in thought, and answers. "Perhaps it does not matter. Those we have defeated, were defeated; we can do so again. And if this is new, we have their measure for now. If we need to know, all will be clear when it needs to be."

He pauses, as if to think through his own logic, and then attends to his sword again. "The Wise Man of Water once said, 'those who know it do not speak about it; those who speak about it do not know it.'"

Return to “Saturday Forgotten Realms Campaign”