The Dragon's Village 2017

Moderator:Lazybones

Karvon
Forum God
Re: The Dragon's Village 2017

Post by Karvon » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:43 am

Gojiro nodded in agreement, "I don't really see any realistic solutions to the situation. We simply don't have enough people to effective defend all three sectors. While the veterans we brought with us have performed well so far, I don't trust the conscripts to stick around when they see what's coming, and those who do will likely not last long with their lack of skill and equipment. A combined assault would fairly quickly overwhelm us on all fronts. Even a simple prolonged barrage of arrows and such would probably wipe out most of the garrison in a relatively short time due to the numbers the horde can bring to bear. We might be able to collapse the tunnels to the east and west flanks which would allow us to concentrate in the center. But, with the manpower the horde has, they could devote teams to digging out the tunnels and still have plenty of forces to swamp us along the walls. They probably won't bother with the tunnels as they would probably take the walls before the tunneling was concluded. We could perhaps risk a sortie and attempt to destroy the scaling ladders while the horde is camped for the night. However, it would be a very risky move; probably would need magic to hide us on the way in and out, and more to insure destruction of the ladders themselves. If the armored giants we've seen have some basic tools, they may well be able to breach the walls themselves given enough time and covering fire from the rest of the horde. The only remote chance of success for us would be if that big dragon we freed showed up to scatter the horde and torch their siege equipment. As I don't think that's all that likely, I recommend we torch everything in the place and get out of here while we can. As Tenko said, we should dispatch the garrison to warn the nearest settlements of the impending disaster."

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Post by smartalec » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:44 pm

Wen's look was one of shock and horror at seeing the size of the horde, approaching them. As the moments pass and the others speak, he does not look away; but his face becomes hard. He stares out at them, narrowing his eyes.

"This is why we came," he says. "I don't know what we expected, but this is what we came all this way for. A day, even a few hours, might buy some time for someone, somewhere. The difference between a town fled, and a town dead."

He looks at them, hand closing on the hilt of his sword. "As long as we can. That's all I'll ask. As long as we can. We have the storms." He nods at Moriko. "We have fire." He nods at Huo Da, recently arrived. "And we have the walls. Those things combined will make them hurt for a time. We can send the conscripts away to spread the word, but this is all there is to hold them up. This, and us. The Wise Man of Water once said, 'those who have compassion when they do battle will be victorious... heaven will be with them.' I believe it."

"So... I will not leave. I can't. Not yet. Not until we've done all we can." He closes his eyes. "If you think it best to go now, so be it. I will... I will catch up."

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:00 pm

With Master beside her Moriko stood looking over the horde with an odd expression of curiousness. As Tenko spoke she looked at him listening then cocked her ear towards Master and knelt down as he began to rumble and grumble softly, almost as a commentary. The rumbling from the venerable panda continued throughout Gojiro's words with her occasionally turning her gaze out to the oncoming army. Then similarly through Wen's as her features developed a thoughtful frown, attention focusing as he mentioned the Wise Man of Water and looking at Ning.

When he finished she looked down into the brown eyes of Master and met his serious gaze as the rumbling continued for a moment. Her postured oddly different to normal in a difficult to determine manner, prouder with perhaps a subtle edge of power perhaps. The bearing of a being less carefree and more directed.

"That is not what I thought, do you think so?" she remarked in a voice considerably less flighty than her usual tone and received a grumbled response. "How can we know? Can we ask?" The question prompted more grumbling from Master and Moriko sighed deeply. "Yes, that was what they said, and I know they knew but we only think we know." There was an extended period of grumbling during which she developed a deep frown before taking a deep breath.

"What I think I know is it would not end, and though they would be first it would come to all the others. If that is so then it is why. It would have to start again if I am wrong and that would take a long time but it is only time." This prompted a final series of rumbles and a shift of the pandas body that could have been a shrug or could have been a nod, or perhaps a combination of both and Moriko's demeanor shifted subtly again and her voice reverted to normal as she spoke.

"They are like ants and will come and come, driven along and over," Moriko said pointing out at the mass of figures as they approached. "And they will take the nests along the way and then to the next and then to the next and it will not end until there is nothing left." She humphed and wagged a finger. "But ants have to stop and think how to cross a river, so we must be a river. And the storm will make them take shelter, so we must be a storm. And the mountain's fiery tears will divide them, so we must be a mountain." Her lips tightened and eyes flashed as the turned to the oncoming horde and shook her small fist in defiance.

"They swallowed all my friends and no one hurts my friends!"

Topato
Extreme Poster

Post by Topato » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:32 am

Tian slaps wen on the back and grins at the encroaching horde. "If you think you're going to make an heroic last stand against impossible odds without me, you've got another thing coming! Didn't I tell you all we'd find glory and honour beyond imagining if we left the dragons village? This is our chance to make history!"

Shadani
Extreme Poster

Post by Shadani » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:54 pm

Ning took a deep breath, and tried to still her trembling.

"This tide we cannot endure," she said. "We might be able to escape once we run out of options, but those who stand will us are not likely to be so lucky. Do you understand that, Wen? Even if we survive this, they will be condemned. They would be better off if we simply told them to scatter to the winds, and then followed suit."

She shook her head. Sighed.

"This is foolish. You have heard the old man - this horde is not the most dreadful thing upon the horizon. You might doubt it, but I have felt its presence - I know it to be true. And if we fall here, then who will be left to face it? But even so... even so..."

Ning turned her hands to fists. She looked at her friends with eyes the colour of the deep. Smiled.

"...even so, I'm not just going to leave you fools here to die."

Klasa
Expert Poster

Post by Klasa » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:30 pm

Huo Da simply shook his head as he listened to the general consensus turn towards facing the horde that evidently outnumbered them by a vast amount.

"You said your manpower numbered about a dozen or so, yes? And that was counting this Sargeant of yours who defected with what way likely a number of troops as well. And yet you still wish to fight? Truly your survival instincts seem to be neglectful.

Huo Da just shook his head again as he paused his speech, as if mentally debating something.

"You know this horde is just a symptom of a greater disease. Even if you somehow manage to defeat then, you truly solve nothing. You can not focus on treating the symptom, but rather must focus on treating the disease. Jya, but what can be done? My Master has picked you to be part of his chosen cure, and so I must ensure you survive to get to him. I just hope you're as skilled as he expects you to be."

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:26 am

Session 19

Since everyone is at least level 6 now, +900xp for full-party IC posting.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:02 pm

((Server is up.))

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:56 am

((A heads up for those with the graphics bug, there's a release of a new driver which cures the problem.))

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:06 am

Just a reminder, no session this week. We will resume on February 17.

Return to “Saturday Forgotten Realms Campaign”