Assault on Aldera Campaign

Moderator:Lazybones

Lazybones
Forum God
Re: Assault on Aldera Campaign

Post by Lazybones » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:51 am

Session 18

Full-posting bonus. Base award increases since everyone is now at least 5th level.

+750xp for Rogha, Zau'lann, Vot, and Tian'ith
+1125xp for Darsin
+1500xp for Miiq

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:11 am

I have to travel for work next weekend, so there will be no session on January 5.

LB

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:08 pm

((Server is up.))

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:45 am

The team went kill some large bugs to gather components. Rogha was given a new armor and sword. Also they now had a new room equipped with a stove. There was no bench to make potions. Rogha would need to use the other one and something that was missing in the "upside down" was a decent library. May be Rogha would need to collect books and make one... Someday may be...

Ayram
Veteran Poster

Post by Ayram » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:33 am

Vot was happy to have access to his own stove again. He hadn't had one since... well, since before. He'd previously been borrowing facilities from the Derro next door or making do with a cook fire and some specialized cookware. But you couldn't beat a good stove. It's like the Derro knew he was a wonder chef or something. So he was happy to forget his troubles, at least temporarily, and concoct something delicious.

What would it be today? ... ...Of course! Chicken Curry! With what he'd recovered from his old kitchen, it would be no problem at all. He was about to make the day of everyone within smelling distance.

As he prepared the meal, Vot thought about the events of the day. They'd played exterminators on the vermin down below to carve out their "glands" for the bug guy. What's-his-name. Vezarion maybe. Anyway, the glands would supposedly allow the bug guy to make even bigger bugs. Which gave them all pause. THey'd briefly considered not doing the job on account of their growing mistrust of the Derro. The bug guy has remarked off-handedly more than once how he believed his bugs would make the crew obsolete.

Vot had his doubts about that. Thus far the bugs had been semi useful tools on occasion, but were seemingly mindless dopes that could do nothing without direction. So without a handler they'd be useless. Still, it was obvious the bug guy was improving his craft rapidly. And it wasn't inconceivable he could make the bugs a force to be reckoned with.

Soon another bug would be produced. Vot would wait till then to decide whether or not to be really worried.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:09 pm

“As most of you know,” Tian’ith began as she sat eating a portion of Vot’s latest culinary achievement, simultaneously pondering over a rough sketch she had made of their surface explorations. There was a great deal of blank space and no indication about how part of the locations connected. “Alzari believes frontal assault might prove viable now We’ve been given suggested targets.” She tapped a place on the map.

“The mine is one, as they have moved their operations to another camp higher up. We lost the initial route to the surface but while it is hard for me to be sure in the light I think,” she indicated a representation of a dwelling, “the settlement from which we abducted their lord is the one we saw on the shore of the sea near the mine. In which case, if the route we took then remains accessible we can attempt to use it.”

“Her second alternative,” she tapped the settlement where they had captured the Baron again, “is this tower I believe though I admit to being uncertain. Advise me if you disagree as it may be that we saw when we fought the goblins. If all are uncertain we will confer with Alzari as to her designs.” Tian’ith gestured to the second area of exploration, placed some distance from the first and roughly east. “That would allow us to use the sinkhole cave and simplify its access as a target.” This time she indicated the blank space then rotated the map 180 degrees and then back again, as if uncertain.

“We have not explored how to get from the sinkhole to the mine and I am not sure of distance or relative direction, but perhaps you know, Vot.” She then gestured, equally uncertain, towards completely blank areas which, were the map accurate, would be south of both locations.

“Her final suggestion is to begin to move along the south with some new variety of insectoid she called a hunter drone.” Tian’ith shrugged. “With the suggestion we plant some eggs among the more populated area of the island in that location. We are unsure of the direction and have not scouted in the area but again Vot, you could indicate the general direction. Alzari believes there is a castle we would need to bypass, and if that is the case it could stand as a mark of direction.” She tapped a finger to her lips, locations on the map further. "But again, that castle may be the tower we saw near the tunnels. Their definition of such eludes me." She shrugged lightly.

“While the mine production remains a priority relocating will have bought us some time, hence my instinct would be to draw attention away from where we have struck previously, at least against the humans,” the Drow continued. “That would suggest either the tower, if it is that which we saw near to the goblins, or to seek to infect the populated areas of the island. The tower,” she tapped it again, “is heavily fortified and guarded so requiring a full assault, where infecting the population base would perhaps be a more readily covert action and simpler to achieve. Another factor is the infection might take a while to take hold, which if so means it won’t draw attention quickly. Hence if we seek to spread their efforts would make the tower a stronger target.” Tian’ith looked at the group keenly.

“Though it may mean staying on the surface longer than previously, my suggestion would be that we plant these eggs while avoiding combat and then, if the tower is the one near the goblin tunnels, attempt an attack. However, I recognise that I have little experience in combat against the humans as foe,” she pursed her lips, “and little certainty of their likely response to any incursion we make, so speak any opinions you have now. We must decide swiftly.”

((In the interests of maybe identifying a target ahead of game time I've tried to outline the options as well as I can, in particular for SA's benefit as he wasn't there, and hopefully clear up which tower was intended - as I can't remember and someone else may. Worst comes to the worst we can ask Azali in game.))

Ayram
Veteran Poster

Post by Ayram » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:58 am

Vot didn't have much of an opinion on where they should go next, but he did confirm that he could probably guide them in the general direction of wherever they decided they did want to go using the sinkhole as a starting point. He also suggested they could use the newly uninhabited goblin fort as a launching point so they could maximize the time their drow could stay effective.

Klasa
Expert Poster

Post by Klasa » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:17 am

"Tower was nau too far from mines. Usstan remembers scouting near it. Problem is it lies past a rivvil settlement. Usstan agrees that should make old goblin fortress base of operations on surface, less likely for rivvil to stumble there. As for which target to pick first, Usstan agrees that the mines will be on higher guard due to burning of lower camp, xas. As well, getting /everyone/ to the tower unnoticed will likely be impossible without aid of magic. Laying the eggs without being noticed should be easiest of tasks, xas. /Should/, anyways." Ravillion responds as she takes a look around at the others as they continued to plan.

Karvon
Forum God

Post by Karvon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:46 am

Darsin listened as the others shared views on the next step, nodding occasionally in agreement with points made.

"I think planting eggs in various spots around the island is the best initial step. We can do a bit of scouting at the same time and get a better idea of other potential targets. Perhaps we could then target one or two more isolated homesteads away from earlier attacks to spread attention and force the islanders to patrol more widely. Once they are more dispersed, then we might tackle the mine or tower. In any case, we should minimize our exposure and kill all witnesses to avoid revealing the true source of the incursions."

Shadani
Extreme Poster

Post by Shadani » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:54 am

"Mine is most important target," Miiq said, thoughtfully. "So, two strategies. Either we go straight for mine. Powerful assault. Make sure nothing no one comes back to rebuild. Or we starve mine; take out tower and fort, make sure no reinforcements can come. Cut off from rest of island, then strike."

"Remember seeing upper mine camp, through Pohl's ears. Narrow pass, small bridges. Easily defended. So striking elsewhere is maybe wise. Attack target far from mines, first; towns send reinforcements there, maybe even lower guard on mining camp. Then strike at real target!"

Return to “Saturday Forgotten Realms Campaign”