Backup Monday Night Game Discussion Thread

Moderator:Lazybones

Lazybones
Forum God
Re: Backup Monday Night Game Discussion Thread

Post by Lazybones » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:53 pm

Jenniza wrote:ooc: yup, no way to delete a post once another post has been posted... sorry for the double post... I'll have to chek on editing posts next time to see if it's fixed yet.
I have moderator powers here and have deleted the dupe posts.

Smart Alec
Experienced User

Post by Smart Alec » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:33 am

In the few moments of silence, it becomes clear that sometimes, lack of a command structure can be a problem. The assault hesitates, caught between getting Catalina out of there and charging into the base.

"Alright," Vasily snarls. "Get going. I catch you up."

With a frustrated scowl etched on his face, he snaps the grenade back on his belt and lets the oversize minigun across his back fall to the ground as he hauls the unconscious agent onto his shoulders, jogging back in the direction of the airlifter and triggering his communicator.

"Alpha to Skyranger! Prepare to recieve injured."

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:41 am

+750xp for everyone for IC posting this week.

Jenniza
Experienced User

Post by Jenniza » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:45 am

TO: Michael Garret, X-COM UN Liaison
RE: Mission Report – OSNAZ Secret Base, Ural Mts

Frankly, sir, I’m not entirely certain what happened this mission. Two team members went down amidst the chaos of it all. After Vasily got the intercepted transmissions, the base was deemed too high a risk to leave standing for some reason I don’t remember. So they blew up the radar dish, this took out Catalina. Inside, there was gunfire everywhere, I was scouting and reporting back locations of incoming soldiers. We found places like hangers, communications rooms, barracks, research facilities etc. Much gunfire later, we nabbed two powered armor and some plasma weapons. The Russians had made a large platform to stand on with a nearby console that was essentially a huge medical bio-regeneration unit for people. Dunno the extent of injuries that t would repair; but, it fixed up gunshots and plasma burns and the like just fine. Down the hall they had an automated sentry shooting blasts of fire with some sort of infrared tracking apparently as it picked me up with my best stealth techniques. Back in the lab, we tried an alternate route; but, something went wrong, and Soheil and I were down. I was revived; but we couldn’t revive her, we weren’t trained. We scrubbed the mission by that point, since we had a hard drive, transmission data and some captured equipment.

Jenniza
Experienced User

Post by Jenniza » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:16 pm

Scene: Dr. Beauvais’s Office

Jane hesitantly knocked on Dr. Beauvais’s door and Dr. Beauvais answered, “Please come in.”

As they sat down, Jane said, “Thank you.”

The counselor asked, “How are you, Jane?”

Jane was still a bit shakey from the experience and it showed, “Holding up, I guess.”

The counselor asked again, “Have you gotten much rest since you got back?”

Jane shook her head slowly, “Not much, it’s hard, the images and sounds just keep replaying in my head. Will it ever stop?”

The counselor tried to explain, “This is what as known as post-traumatic shock. You need some time to process it all. If you need assistance, there is a technique we could try to fill in the gaps, called hypnosis where we could attempt to find out te missing pieces and clarify them. That’s only if you wanted though. I’d keep you comfortable and safe the whole time. I promise. It’s a completely pain-free experience.”

Jane thought for a bit, “I’m not going to end up clucking like a chicken or anything, am I?” A little of her old self was finally starting to return, a good sign, the counselor recognized.

The counselor replied with a smile, “Not unless you want to.”

Jane made a slight joke, “No, thanks, nor is it a chain of practical jokes I’d ever want to branch into with the others. Some of them are much more creative and devious.”

The counselor inquired, “May I take that as a ‘yes’, you’re willing to try hypnosis?”

Jane agreed, “Yes, I trust you. I’m hoping that it will help me piece things together better so I can move on with my life and perhaps sleep better as well.”

The counselor instructs Jane what to do to relax as the counselor prepares the room’s lighting and mood to be conducive to taking Jane for a little trip through her memories of the recent mission. At first the images are distorted, chaotic noises everywhere. A calming voice from the counselor guides Jane’s turmoil and helps sort through it. Jane reconstitutes the images of the mission’s beginnings and discovers that Catalina’s injuries were an accident. A plain and simple and unfortunate accident. More of the mission goes by… there was a flash…. And a jar…. Jane takes it for a sign of pain; but, the counselor gently reminds her that this is just a memory and that Jane is safe and comfortable and to move past it. They move forward to a giant machine and the odd sensation… then to the automated sentry…. Then back to the lab…. Jane is resistant to move forward, she senses trouble from her memory. The guiding voice gently reminds her that she is safe that no harm can come to her. Jane moves forward, taking out two doors working on the third. The counselor has at this point guided Jane to slow down time and to look all around her to see what is happening and describe it. It is a difficult task for Jane to do. She attempts to describe what she sees with her peripheral vision: Vasily might have been somewhere behind her; no idea where Hadrian was (presumably further behind than that) ; Soheil was to her left…attempting to open a crate… it exploded…. All went black. The next thing Jane recalled as a memory were figures over her… her teammates, Hadrian and Vasily. Soheil was still down. Jane and Vasily vainly tried to revive her. All three finally agreed to scrub the mission. At this point, the counselor asked Jane if she was ready to leave and Jane said yes.

Afterwards, they spoke of the experience. Jane seemed to have her answers now. Simple accidents.

That night Jane slept well for the first time since she got back from the mission.

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:49 pm

For now, we're going to use the NWC thread for posting. I will continue to monitor this thread and will give posting XP for posts here.

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Post by smartalec » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:24 am

Kind of a tribute. 8-)

Alpha Team. Heroes all!

And, wearing the very best hand-me-downs - Beta Team.

(and yes, the nicknames are randomly generated!)

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:13 am

If you ever decide to re-run this campaign, LB, I'll be there. Depending on when and what time you run it, I might be able to bring my wife along. She'll play evenings, but she doesn't do mornings.

Topato
Extreme Poster

Post by Topato » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:19 pm

I would too, schedule permitting.