Backup Monday Night Game Discussion Thread

Moderator:Lazybones

Karvon
Forum God
Sgt. Hadrian L Jones USMC

Post by Karvon » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:52 pm

[couldn't get this to post on NWC for some reason, so posting here]

Sgt. Hadrian L. Jones USMC hastily brushed grit and sand of the Mohave off his BDUs as he trotted up to HQ. Inside, a clerk pointed him to a chair outside Col. Hernandez's office. The message had said Report ASAP, but typical military, hurry up and wait.

As he sat, he mentally reviewed the squad's performance in the exercise vs. the OPFOR units. While his recon element had executed their spotting mission as planned, the parent battalion had taken a drubbing - those Blackhorse guys were good, no question about it. The Col would be tearing the major a new one, that was certain, but the whole point of the exercises was to find and fix problems and keep folks from getting complacent. In that respect, mission definitely accomplished. A buzzer sounded and the clerk motioned him towards the CO's door.

Hadrian marched in, came to attention and offered a crisp salute, which the Col. acknowledged as he glanced up from a stack of files on his desk. At ease Sgt Jones and take a seat, he ordered as he opened and looked over a dossier. A-1 job in the exercise, glad to see at least a few marines get the better of the army. He scanned the open file again.

How long have we known each other Hadrian? the Col. queried disarmingly.
Jones smiled thinly, 15 years sir, since that tour in Afghanistan. You were fresh out of Annapolis, a newly minted butter-bar.
Hernandez nodded, I learned a lot from you in those six months. Seems like a life time ago now doesn't it?
In deed it does sir, Hadrian replied.

The Col. studied the dossier for a moment and fixed his gaze on Jones. Hadrian, your current enlistment is up another couple months, you'll have your 20 years in then, as you've not re-upped are you planning on taking early retirement? he asked neutrally.
Hadrian pondered a moment. Well sir, as we've been busy with the exercises here, I've not really had time to give it much thought. However, the Corp is my home and I'm satisfied with my work and the chance to serve my country, so I'll likely file the papers when we get back to our regular base in Okinawa at the end of the month - assuming the Corp still wants me, he smiled.
Hernadez visibly relaxed, Glad to hear that Hadrian, would hate to lose a man of your talent and experience. It also makes what I have to tell you next much easier.

He paused for a moment before continuing. Hadrian, the Corp is changing, the world is changing and the enemy is changing. I assume you've heard and seen the reports of these alien attacks as well as our counterattacks?
Hadrian nodded slowly.
The Col. stated, The US is part of an international response force known as XCOM. I've been ordered to submit likely candidates for screening for this group. I've chosen to second you from RECON group for this assignment. I'm afraid I can't tell you anything further. You are to report to helo pad one at zero dark thirty for immediate transport. Your status and assignment are classified, you are to answer no questions nor inform anyone of your mission status. You are allowed one duffel bag for personal items, all other gear and furnishings will be provided. Is that clear?
Hadrian responded, Yes sir!
Hernandez nodded, Very well Sgt. Jones, that is all, you are dismissed, Semper Fi!
Hadrian stood to attention, saluated, wheeled and marched out of the office back into the summer heat.

Twelve hours later, he sat crouched in a helo winging thru the dark desert skies eastward. He wondered what the new posting would entail, he knew nothing about aliens, or even much science for that matter. He did know about scouting and killing though and whenever and where ever there was war, those services were always needed.

cigol712
Newbie Poster

Re: Backup Monday Night Game Discussion Thread

Post by cigol712 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:26 am

Soheil looked over the new powered armor suit in production. Though it promised to provide greater protection, she couldn't help but feel like it was sacrificing the ability to actually move. In fact ... she felt as if you'd topple over the minute you tried walking with it.

Keeping in mind the tactical armor she would wear when stealth for infiltration was not the key, she talked with the scientists in order to figure out how to make the armor operational for combat.

Knowledge: Tactics +11

(...I'm going out on a limb with that roll! Hope I'm doing this right...)

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:58 am

With the new reactor providing a surplus of power, X-COM literally hums this week.

Jane works with Doctor Sandesh on the HWP repairs, which are finished ahead of schedule. The old rocket HWP has its launcher replaced with a laser cannon, and the inferior prototype armor is replaced with the latest ablative plate crafted out of alien alloys.

OOC Jane Swift: Craft Mechanical +12, roll: 8+12= 20 (Moderate Success). Result: Work finished early, +2 engineers free to help finish other projects.

The Powered Armor and Advanced Surgical Kit are completed on schedule. With Soheil's help, the engineers get the Powered Armor prototype ready for field testing.

OOC Soheil Amiri: Knowledge, Tactics +11 (tertiary skill), roll: 20+11= 31 (Moderate Success). Result: Prototype of armor available this week for party use.

Two laser pistols with the VDU-enhanced sighting systems are crafted, and one older pistol is upgraded.

Four plasma pistols with power packs are released from Research and turned over to Alpha Team for field use. Research reports that the power packs are interchangeable between the alien pistols and rifles.

Two additional medikits are completed, for a total of ten this week.

+100xp for Jane and Soheil.

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:32 am

+750xp for full-party IC posting.
+100xp for Jane and Soheil for successful skill usage.

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:18 am

Because we ended mid-mission, I'm going to save the "Dr. Wagner's e-mail" post until next week.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:46 pm

"Might be wise to kill their sat dish as well." She heard Hadrian say, and made the mistake of looking up towards it. Not the most sensible of actions. It wasn't much of a hesitation, but it was enough. Catalina had barely made the corner when the explosives detonated, hurling hot air and shrapnel in her direction. Though her torso was out of the main blast, Catalina's left leg was trailing as the blast hit.

The force of the blast simultaneously knocked her off her feet and twisted her around. She had enough time to swear loudly before the momentum span her into the wall. The curse became a shriek as her lower leg reached an unnatural angle, and then silenced as her helmet connected with the wall. Now bundled against it, she lay still.

cigol712
Newbie Poster

Post by cigol712 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:18 am

The explosion was still ringing in her ears when Soheil realized that not everyone had made it behind the cover. She'd yelled fire in the hole twice ... the first syllable would be enough to send any other SAS spook for cover immediately. But Cat wasn't a special forces soldier.

Soheil turned the corner and saw Cat's unconscious body against the wall in some kind of unnatural position. For a moment, Soheil was suddenly back in Iran in 1982, finding a playmate dead in the street as the Iran-Iraq War continued. She didn't understand it then, and she questioned if she even understood it now. She looked down at the plasma gun in her hand and it looked alien ... then she realized it was. Returning to the present, she shook her head and ran toward Cat...

Smart Alec
Experienced User

Post by Smart Alec » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:56 am

All over the world, it seemed, it was the same stupid story. Fools - traitors - latching on to the aliens in the hopes of being spared, or for crumbs of the power they hoarded. Only this time, it was countrymen and supposed patriots turning their cloaks. Sure, he'd done some grim things in the past - stormed a theatre full of civilians dying from poison gas, fought a pitched battle in a hostage-filled school - but always the enemy were the same, terrorists, rebels. These bastards wore the same badge he had, the same uniform, and here they all were, trading bullets. Did that make him a murderer? An instrument of justice? Who were the enemies of the state, here?

Thoughts for another time, questions without answer to spin around his head and play speak-your-mind with the Counselor. Right now, as he set the charges, all Vasily knew was that he wanted the alien responsible for this disgrace, and he wanted it dragged back to secure containment no matter what.

The detonators were primed, and they ran for the cover of the walls. Fifteen seconds should have been enough! But then he heard the shocked cry, and saw Catalina crumple to the snow, broken out of shape. Damn it, they had to attack now, in the middle of the confusion, before the fools in the base managed to put up any kind of perimeter around the hangar. But you couldn't just leave a squad member down on the ground like that...

"Get her to Skyranger!" he yelled at no-one in particular, hoping someone would obey. Under normal circumstances, he'd have done it himself, but he couldn't, not now. If anyone had the right to be killing the deluded morons in the base, it was him. Thumbing a grenade, Vasily made ready to charge the smoking breach.

Jenniza
Experienced User

Post by Jenniza » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:24 pm

The whole concept of the mission was risky at best, if not outright sucked, in Jane's mind. She hated every allegation that Drake made about the Russians. They might not be perfect allies, considering what happened back in 2008 with Georgia and all; but, still that was behind them and they were now full partners in the Consortium and things were going well. This was obviously a rogue group and there was no reason to dredge up old stuff like that like Drake was trying to do.

Now here they were and in the thick of it... trying to be discrete, covert... and instead they had to blow up the radar station and as a result... damn it... Catalina was hurt badly. Jane was a light-weight and not one to be going around carting bodies, that would have to be a job for Hadrian or Soheil most likely. They seemed more in shape they she was. She was built for stealth and gunfighting. She asked, "Can you tend to Catalina's wounds while I scout ahead?"

It made Jane sick to her stomach seeing Catalina crumbled up like that after the explosion... that would be something that Jane would have to deal with in therapy with the counselor. For now, they had a job to do, and she had to remain focused, or they might all perish.

Jenniza
Experienced User

Post by Jenniza » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:32 pm

ooc: yup, no way to delete a post once another post has been posted... sorry for the double post... I'll have to chek on editing posts next time to see if it's fixed yet.