Backup Monday Night Game Discussion Thread

Moderator:Lazybones

Lazybones
Forum God
Backup Monday Night Game Discussion Thread

Post by Lazybones » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:48 pm

This thread is for discussion and IC posting of my Monday nights X-COM game, while NWC is down.

Here's a repost of the last e-mail from Dr. Wagner:
TO: MEMBERS, ALPHA TEAM
CC: MICHAEL GARRET, GRACE THELON BELUCA, AGENT INISE DRAKE
RE: Research/Manufacturing Progress Report

Chief Engineer Thelon Beluca is reluctantly reporting that the reactor project is behind schedule. Her engineering team is working triple shifts and we hope to have the new reactor online by the end of the week.

Grace has integrated the work on the new Laser Defense battery with the finishing work on the reactor. She welcomes any help from Alpha in finishing either project.

Research Priorities (20 points total):

Completed Research:
  • Laser Weapons: Research complete. Laser pistols may be constructed.
  • Laser Rifle: Research complete.
  • Laser Cannon: Research complete. All future interceptors will be equipped with this weapon. Laser Defense may be constructed.
  • Motion Scanner: Research complete.
  • Heavy Weapons Platforms: Research complete. Laser Tanks may be constructed.
  • Alien Medicine: Research complete. The new Medical Lab will produce eight medikits per week. Dr. White reports that when the lab is involved in research projects, such as alien autopsies, the rate of production will slow. Further upgrades may come from research into alien life forms.
  • Alien Alloys: Research complete. Personal Armor is now available for manufacture.
  • Sectoid Prisoner: Research complete.
  • Alien Navigation: Research complete.
  • Alien Power Supply: Research complete.
  • Sectoid Autopsy: Research complete.
  • Snakeman Autopsy: Research complete.
  • Floater Autopsy: Research complete.
Current Projects:
None at this time.

Available Projects:
  • Plasma Pistol: An alien weapon.
  • Plasma Rifle: A more powerful alien weapon.
  • Small Launcher: An alien stun weapon.
  • Vibroblade: An alien melee weapon.
  • Alien Grenade: These explosives seem to be based on a biochemical agent combined with a tiny amount of Elerium-115.
  • Powered Armor: Chief Engineer Beluca reports that we can now research an improved armor based upon the Elerium-115 power source. (ooc: this is medium armor)
  • Alien Medicine (Level 2): Doctor White reports that there are new areas of medical research available; he will e-mail you with more information.
Current Prisoners held in Alien Containment:
  • Snakeman Soldier: We have several of these aliens in captivity. Once research is complete they will be sent to a central holding facility off-site.
  • Floater Navigator.
  • Floater Soldier.
  • Sectoid Engineer.

Manufacturing Priorities (30 points)
  • Elerium-115 Reactor(20): Behind schedule but approaching completion.
  • Research Capacity: Research Labs 1 and 2 are fully operational. Further expansions will run into problems due to base size limitations.
  • Medical Capacity: the Medical Lab is fully operational.
  • Manufacturing Capacity: Workshops 1, 2, and 3 are fully operational. Further expansions will run into problems due to base size limitations.
  • Base Defense (10): Missile Defense has been completed. Laser Defense is under construction. Current base defense factor: 10 (will be 40 after Laser Defense is finished)
  • Laser Pistol: Seven units have been constructed. Units may be constructed with an integrated VDU targeting system (+3 engineer-weeks per unit).
  • Laser Rifle: One unit has been constructed.
  • Motion Sensor: Two units have been constructed.
  • Personal Armor: Six suits have been constructed. Helmets have been upgraded to resist mental attacks. Units may be constructed with stealth augmentation (+4 engineer-weeks per unit)
  • Medikit: Current level: Advanced Medikit 1. Doctor White's medical lab can construct eight of these kits each week without compromising our manufacturing capacity. If you wish to dedicate additional resources to the project, the kits can be produced at a faster rate.
  • Heavy Weapons Platform: Rocket Launcher: One prototype (damaged) produced. One Laser Tank produced, now seriously damaged. Doctor Sandesh reports that it will take 3 engineers one week to restore the HWP to full working order.
OOC: Your current allocations are listed in parens above. Note that I shifted the Laser Defense from 10 researchers to 10 engineers, to reflect the changeover from theory to production, and that all remaining engineers are engaged in the reactor project. At this point it's all implementation, not research, so all 20 researchers are avaialble for reassignment.

Lazybones
Forum God

Re: Backup Monday Night Game Discussion Thread

Post by Lazybones » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:50 pm

Per the latest e-mail round, I'm going to put your research into Personal Armor (10) and Alien Pistols (10). Let me know if this changes.

Also, let me know what you want to (at least start) manufacturing, as some engineers will be freed up as the reactor and laser defense approach completion.

Jenniza
Experienced User

Post by Jenniza » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:58 pm

TO: Michael Garret, X-COM UN Liaison
RE: Mission Report – X-COM, Alberta, Canada

Reports indicated a Floater inhabited ship with engine trouble landed around Alberta, Canada. We were sent to investigate. Sector sweep revealed they landed in a cow pasture basically when we got there with several floaters out and about already. Visual and motion scanner indicated about eight of them outside: medics and soldiers. Inside, what we eventually discovered were several things: 1) the ship had three levels 2) it was highly compartmentalized 3) the compartments were connected like a three-dimensional maze with lifts through glowing beams – very easy to pass through at a simple step 4) there were vast arrays of tubes with pieces of meat and visceral in them – possibly slaughtered cows 5) the engines were controlled from two separate control areas it seemed 6) the Floaters had the usual array of types: soldiers, navigators, engineers, a leader and a new type – a medic. The use of a stun attack, mental or via weapon was deployed at one point; I did not catch what happened, as I was busy guarding the front of the group from further attacks. I waited until they were better before proceeding. A word of caution about the lift system – it can be disorienting at first, so proceed slowly to keep your bearings through the ship as it’s like a maze.

Jenniza
Experienced User

Post by Jenniza » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:11 pm

Scene: Dr. Beauvais’s Office

Jane knocked on Dr. Beauvais’s door and Dr. Beauvais answered, “Please come in.”

As they sat down, Jane asked, “How are you, Dr. Beauvais?”

The counselor replied, “I’m well, thank you. How are you, Jane?”

Jane smiled, “I’m doing well, too, thank you. Things have been busy around here. I know that Catalina wanted o give Dr. Okwelume a chance to negotiate a way out of his way to Agent Drake’s plans for him. None of us saw him as willing to promise not to want a look at the reactor just so that he could sell the plans to the first people he could get a chance to for whatever noble ideals he believed in. He seemed perfectly content going to whatever prison we had for him after this. We simply did not trust him based on his own statements. We now have a lot of work ahead of us.”

The counselor replied, “Well, if she wants my help, I’m available. Delicate negotiations is something that either Director Garrett, Chief Hallorand or I would probably be most willing to assist any of you with. Just let us know what you need.”

Jane answered, “Will do.”

The counselor asked, “So they keeping you busy?” She grinned, “I hear the reactor and laser defenses are going along nicely and the last mission went relatively smoothly.”

Jane laughed, “Plenty to do around here, and when there isn’t, there’s always a round of paintball or poker,” she grinned.

The counselor was curious, “So, how are you really? Anything going on that we need to talk about?”

Jane replied, “Thankfully, not this week. Things finally feel normal for once. Is that a bad thing? Just a little sense of adrenaline when I got separated from the group and tried to regroup. Not elation or panic or anything… just rushing to get back to them… more like caution. I felt like a pack animal separated from her pack. I think the others felt like they lost a member of their pack.”

The counselor smiled, “Well, I think that’s normal after all you’ve through together. You seem very close to each other now. It’s only natural to feel that sense of closeness in a combat situation like that. I think it gives you an edge in most situations; but, it can also sometimes cloud your judgment when you’re not careful in stressful situations. Just be mindful of that.”

Jane nodded, “I will be, thank you, doctor.”

The counselor smiled, ‘Well, I think our time is up. See you next week, same time?”

Jane replied, “Sure thing, Doctor Beauvais. Thank you. Take care.”

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:21 pm

Looking at Dr Wagner's email Catalina sighed and wandered along to the room where the reactor was being built. She walked up to Grace and presented herself, stretching her arms out in an expression of hopeful resignation. "I decided I should answer the call, but I don't know how much use I will be." Grace gave her a slightly dubious look and had opened her mouth to answer when there was a frightened squeal from the vicinity of the roof.

Up above where work on the reactor was taking place, near the high ceiling of the room, 2 rather white faced engineers had been gingerly running the new power lines and the optical feeds for the laser system along one of several narrow metal cable trays. One engineer now hung suspended via his safety line from the tray he had been traversing. Grace began yelling orders, and the hapless engineer was pulled up and helped along the narrow metal walkway of the tray to climb down.

The panic over, Grace turned back muttering about staff with no head for heights and the reflexes of a tortoise, to meet a grinning Catalina. "You know, I might not be able to tell if a wiring diagram is the right way up, but if you need a Steel Monkey, you've got one."

((OOC - The only way I could think for Catalina to help the construction, if you'll permit it LB, without risking hampering. Should it be valid, her climb is 6 and her balance 9. *tries puppy dog eyes just in case they help* :D ))

cigol712
Newbie Poster

Post by cigol712 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:32 pm

Soheil still felt uncomfortable. The lack of rigorous disciplining was actually unnerving to her, and she felt as if she couldn't afford to go lax should she be reassigned to active SAS duty rather than X-COM. But the truth was, she was enjoying it here more.

Old habits died hard, though. She still saluted everyone she considered a superior, even though there didn't seem to be any (if any!) indications of rank anywhere. She exercised rigorously at the foot of her bunk every morning and evening before bed and during her free time.

She was restless.

On the floor of the common room, she counted her pushups, ignoring everything else going on. She couldn't even tell if there were any others in the room.

Jenniza
Experienced User

Post by Jenniza » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:44 pm

Jane continued to help with the reactor construction as normal since it seemed prioirity number one. The others on the project really knew their stuff, some were more colorful in personalities than others; but, all were professonals. Two had a little bit of a rivalry going with each other: it was mildly amusing at times. Three of them were vying for the attention of another at times; but, she wasn't interested in any of them. One was interested in baseball cards, comic books and gaming conventions and talked incesantly about them, to any that would listen. One was into heavy rock and was constantly getting complaints from others about his loud music.

ooc: oh yeah, and Jane's craft mech skill is +12 :)

Jenniza
Experienced User

Post by Jenniza » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:54 pm

ooc:
cogil, if you write an IC post that is creaitve (or not heheheh) you can effect Research, Manufacturing or other activities with your skill rolls, etc (with LB applicable DC rolls as he see fits, the more the merrier if it's really too weird) for the week and possibly earn up to 100 xp too and maybe change something significant about the game's flow.

cigol712
Newbie Poster

Post by cigol712 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:54 pm

ooc
Heee. Still getting used to everything ^^

Didn't we say we were going to come up with tactics or something last session?

Jenniza
Experienced User

Post by Jenniza » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:15 am

Feel free to write up a "tactics manual" rofl and quote your tactics skill for an easy 100xp :)