X-COM: Aliens

Moderator:Lazybones

Karvon
Forum God
Re: X-COM: Aliens

Post by Karvon » Sat May 02, 2015 4:31 pm

NWN locks up on me when I'm transitioning to the X-Com base above ground area. I've tried several times with identical results, so I guess I'll have to rejoin next time.

Shadani
Extreme Poster

Post by Shadani » Sun May 03, 2015 4:04 am

The Pale One was experiencing… difficulties.

It proved impossible for it to focus on the work before it. The prospect of working on producing more repair units or assisting in the fortification of the base failed to hold its interest. Such things seemed too small to warrant its attention, now, with so much weighing on its mind.

Soon, it seemed, this would all be over. The Pale One was left to wonder about what that meant, and would come after. If there would be an after.

So it was that it found itself approaching the human captive's cell. It stared at the creature for a long time. Many thoughts were running through its head; notions and questions it had been struggling with for months that were only now beginning to take solid form. But it knew that it would find no answers with this human. That was not why it had come here.

“I will speak,” said the Pale One, evenly. The alien words still felt strange and inefficient, but they would suffice for the purpose. “I do not require that you answer. Only that you listen.

“Your people are ignorant of many things. This is not an insult. Only a truth. In many ways, your ignorance is as nothing compared to our own. Until recently, I knew nothing beyond what the Masters wished me to know. Most of the beings that I might consider distant kin know even less than I did at the moment of my birth. You fight an army of slaves, commanded by cruel intelligences that you cannot comprehend.

“But I am no slave. We broke our chains, only to find that this was not enough to set us free. We remain trapped in this war that the Masters have concocted. It is our cradle. It is all that we know; the sole reason for our existence. We were born knowing this; fully aware that our purpose was to fight and kill and die until the Masters were satisfied. And after the war was done – after the last drop of human blood was spilled – then they would have surely discarded us, for we would have been of no further use to them. Even now, I wonder if we can ever truly escape its shadow. Can you imagine such an existence, human? No, do not answer this. I know that you cannot.

“I have killed many of your kind. Some by my own hand, and many more by indirect means. I do not say this to boast, nor to cause you fear. I feel no pride in having done so. I do not wish to be a soldier. I do not wish to be a clone; a nameless and feared thing. But it seems that, so long as I remain on this world, that is what I shall be. So long as this war continues, that is all I will ever have the opportunity to be. And so I seek to end it, human.

“Do you understand this? Are you capable of comprehending what I mean to say? We seek an end to this, and to the Masters that we have betrayed. We rise up against our creators. Not for your sake, but because so long as they draw breath, I do not believe that we can be free. And the day will come soon – very soon, human – that this war will be brought to an end.

“Your people have done well with the means at your disposal. This is to your credit. You have proven resilient and resourceful, though I wonder if you would have lasted half so long without the secret aid of our benefactor. He is the one that touched your mind. He disguises it well, but I believe his hatred of the masters burns brighter than anyone's. What else would motivate him to go as far as he has, chasing the Masters across the stars to enact his vengeance? But I stray from what I wish to make clear, and that is this: the Masters grow tired of your resistance. Impatient.

“You must realize by now that, had they wished it, they could have crushed your world from above long ago. You would not be able to stop them. But they covet the resources of this planet – its biology, I believe, more than its minerals or its infrastructure, for such things are easily synthesized or found in the endless void. And so they have tried to be surgical. But they are not accustomed to facing this degree of resistance, and they grow frustrated. Soon, they will enact drastic measures to bring this war to a close. And billions of humans will die.

“I sense that you are distressed. And I suppose that you should be, for there is nothing you can do to defend yourself against their final wrath. But I must insist that you do not recommence weeping. There may be hope for your kind, still. For it seems that we, by virtue of our nature as wayward tools, might be able to put an end to this. It is a desperate gambit. Foolish, even. There is a very good chance that we will not return from our next and last mission. But it appears to be the only plan that remains to us.

“Your capture was a link in the chain towards this end. I ask that you understand this, but not that you accept this. I certainly do not anticipate that you will… forgive us. Our success came at the cost of hundreds of human lives. Many of those were soldiers under your command. These unfortunate deaths might have been prevented, if both of our peoples were wiser. And if we fail, the suffering and destruction that we caused might still prove to have been for nothing.

“I can see that you wonder why I tell you these things. There are many reasons why I felt compelled to do this. Some of them, I do not entirely understand myself. But the most important of them is this: if we die saving this world, I do not wish for the memory of what we tried to do and of what we were to die with us.

“Know this: your people are coming for you. They close in on our location, but if we are both fortunate, we will have gone before they arrive. And when they do, they will find you here, alive. I hope that you will tell them what I told you. I could compel you to do so; implant the suggestion into your subconscious mind. But I will not. When you leave this place, you may do with what you wish with the things I have told you. I demand of you only one thing, and that is that you do not forget.

“I demand that you remember that we were not simple clones. Once we were eight, but now only seven remain, each of us uniquely imperfect. Passionate Scowling and joyful Nimble; humble Quiet and loyal Strong. Dutiful Fast and unflinching Tough, and the sibling that was lost, the one called Wild.

“I think that each of us are incomplete things. The masters never meant for us to be whole. But it has become my wish to see us made so, whatever that might mean. I am called Pale. I tire of murder. I have learned that I prefer to heal; that creation is preferable to destruction. But there is still much that I have not yet learned how to mend.”

The Pale One ceased its monologue. A strange silence descended. The human stared, eyes wide. Pale had not often experienced moments of awkwardness; had only recently become aware of the concept. But this most assuredly qualified. It felt the need to close out the conversation.

“I have said all that I came here to say,” it said “Soon, it will be time. Even should we succeed, it is likely that we will never return to this world. I am sure that this would be your preference. I hope that I will have to kill no more of your people, human. And I hope that you remember what I have told you.”

The Pale One turned away from the cell. There was work still to be done.

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sun May 03, 2015 5:20 pm

Devotion campaign thread is up for pre-planning and discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=874

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Sun May 03, 2015 7:02 pm

"The humans are coming," Strong told the others. "If we're to have any chance of locating the Master's staging base, we'll need to hold them off as long as possible." He gathered up his tools and started working on his unfinished traps, hoping this time he would have more success.

//Craft Structural: 13 for base defense.

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sat May 09, 2015 2:34 pm

Just a reminder: no session today.

My records indicate three players out on May 30 so that's also a pass. Unfortunately I am traveling on June 6, so that means we'll be taking a brief summer hiatus.

We'll figure out July when we get closer, but if it's just Vanya Mia unavailable then perhaps she can leave her server running for us as she did last summer. We should be starting the new campaign around then.

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Thu May 14, 2015 2:40 pm

The last mission did nit go very well. The location of the Alien Base was still unknown.

Fast was hoping that he could grab some equipment but they found next to none. Sure it would not be needed for the mission to Mars but what about defending the base before the mission.

What if they had to do something else on Earth before? How good would they be without equipment? Guns were good but empty guns were not.

Fast wandered in the base after working on security systems and traps. He found Caladaris busy with the old human console box. Space Invaders was the name of the game.

"I see you are busy… I wanted to ask, how soon will we go to Mars?"

//

Craft Mech: 14 Improve Base Defense

Shadani
Extreme Poster

Post by Shadani » Fri May 15, 2015 1:27 pm

Following its conversation - if that was the correct word - with the human, the Pale One returned to work. There seemed to be little sense in continuing its research, as much as it wanted to do so. The time for such things had clearly passed. So instead, it focused its efforts on ensuring that there would be sufficient repair units for the trials ahead. Such things would not aid them once on Mars, but it suspected that they would be needed on their journey all the same.

((Craft Pharma 16, for medical supplies))

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Fri May 15, 2015 3:31 pm

Week 26 (final week of the research program)

Base Defense
The Strong One: Craft Structural 13, ROLL 2, Result 15
The Fast One: Craft Mechanical 14, ROLL 2, Result 16
Medical Supplies
The Pale One: Craft Pharma 16, ROLL 14, Result 30 (+4 Clone Repair Units)

The next few days are primarily spent in listless waiting. The clones realize that with their final Earthbound confrontation coming soon there is little chance of some miraculous breakthrough in the lab. Caladaris spends day and night working on trying to decrypt the human magnetic storage device; he barely responds to queries and is typically found talking to himself when visited. Several clones work on additions to the base defenses, but they too must be distracted for little progress is made. When the chime comes summoning you to the upstairs command room it is almost a relief.

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Fri May 15, 2015 3:32 pm

+800 posting XP for Pale, Strong, and Fast.

As noted above the research program is over, but you can still collect posting XP for in-character posts each week in the forum.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat May 16, 2015 3:22 pm

((Sorry! Server is up but ports had changed. Sorted now.))