Alien communication

Moderator:Lazybones

Vanya Mia
Forum God
Alien communication

Post by Vanya Mia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:53 pm

This is a bit anal retentive of me, so feel free to tell me to sod off, but I figured it might be useful to agree on how our characters would communicate. If I'm understanding this correctly the aliens would be able to communicate telepathically, though I'm not sure how sophisticated that would be, but are extremely unlikely to understand or be able to communicate in human language, if they can speak at all.

LB can tell us if they will ever be able to actually speak, but if so is it worth set up a quick system to identify some agreed way of distinguishing between the two communication methods?

Shadani
Extreme Poster

Re: Alien communication

Post by Shadani » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:29 pm

My first thought was that sectoids do not actually appear to have mouths. Then I realized that I was thinking of the new X-COM, and that the old ones do in fact have mouth-orifices upon their (comparatively) weirdly adorable misshapen bodies.

So yeah. Good question, actually.

Lazybones
Forum God

Re: Alien communication

Post by Lazybones » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:00 pm

I agree, a good question. An "alien translator" is among the very first things that you will be able to research in the game. Until then, human language and writing will seem like gibberish to you. Once you research it you will be able to understand all human languages.

I also had not conceptualized sectoids of being capable of speech (they mostly just made noises in X-COM when you perforated them), but some of the higher forms should be able to. Let's say no vocal chatter until at least the level 3 transition.

Why don't we say telepathy uses Party talk mode, while actual talking using Shout. Most of the humans are going to be shouting when they see you anyway. ;)

I'll also probably use Shout for when the Masters contact you, their telepathic commands will deserve emphasis.