Forum God
Re: X-COM 2 - 2019 Campaign Thread

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:06 pm

((Server is up, usual details.))

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:15 pm

A soft chime announced the latest update from Central in your inboxes.
Engineering reports that it will take at least five days to repair the Skyranger. As a result we’ve unfortunately lost our window on the smuggling operation, but will continue tracking in order to secure a second opportunity. In the meantime, we will continue our efforts to gain information about the ADVENT biological research program.

Research Projects

MC costs in this list are for subsequent copies of an item once it is researched. Initial research just uses X-COM Research Capacity.

Base production is 2d10+2 (Singh)
  • Magnetic Rifle. We can expand upon our success with the mag pistol and create a full-sized rifle that can project mag rounds with devastating speed and accuracy. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC10, MC8]
  • Shard Gun. The Shard Gun takes standard shotgun shells and superheats them in a magnetic ignition chamber. The result is a molten spray of burning death. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC10, MC8]
  • Gauss Weapons. With our mastery of ADVENT's core weapon technology, we can now develop specialized weapon systems using the alien technology to improve on power storage and consumption, projectile path fidelity, and penetrative force over greater distances. We may be able to develop a sniper rifle and cannon variant based on our newly learned Magnetic Weapons technology. [RC10]
  • Nanoscale Vest. The Nanoscale vest is a light armor underlay derived from ADVENT armor. This vest can be worn with all X-COM armors to provide additional protection. [RC15]
  • Predator Armor. Predator armor represents our first foray into new body protection based on alien hybrid materials. This suit of medium armor offers excellent protection against most forms of attack. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC15, MC10]
  • Spider Suit. This suit of light armor offers improved protection over the basic X-COM Kevlar, and includes a grapple that can be used to access improved tactical positions on the battlefield. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC15, MC10]
  • EXO Suit. This suit of heavy armor provides superior protection, and includes an embedded rocket launcher. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC15, MC15, 1 point completed]
  • Motion Scanner. This is an interesting idea from the Science Department, using particle displacement technology to develop a scanner that can detect enemy motion, even through solid objects. Doctor Tygen says that the scanner should work to about a hundred meters out. One prototype will be provided when the project is completed. [RC10, 3 points completed]
  • Improved Medikit. Doctor Ranma tells us that we can improve our basic medical kits to provide more effective battlefield triage. All current medikit production will be upgraded once this technology is researched. [RC10]
  • Personal Shield. Our successful autopsy of the ADVENT Shieldbearer has opened up a promising line of inquiry that may allow us to integrate this tech into our own armors. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC20, MC10]
  • ADVENT Purifier Autopsy. With a greater understanding of the systems behind the ADVENT Purifier's unusual tolerance of environmental hazards, it will likely be possible to emulate their methods for some use in our own equipment.[RC5]
  • ADVENT Stun Lancer Autopsy. The ADVENT Stun Lancer is commonly seen maintaining order and quelling disturbances throughout the world. Their unique stun lance could be adapted into a weapon our Rangers are already training to use. [RC5]
  • ADVENT MEC Breakdown. These mechanized units have a familiar humanoid form, but we haven't found any indication of a pilot or biological control system. I'm hoping that once we've pulled it apart, I'll be able to mirror some of their advancements in our own weapons and robotic systems. [RC5]
  • Sectoid Autopsy. Although the Sectoids have changed substantially since the invasion, their ability to manipulate Psionic energy has clearly not been diminished in the process. With a complete study of this new specimen, we may be able to develop the Psionic capabilities of our own troops. [RC10, 3 points completed]
Manufacturing Projects

Base production is 2d10+1 (Mendoza) +1 (Tieffendahl)
  • Mag Pistol. The workshop can now manufacture additional copies of the magnetic pistol. [MC5]
  • Magnetic Ammunition. This ammunition can be used in all of our magnetic weaponry. [MC1/2 (one unit of capacity produces two boxes)].
  • Skulljack.If needed, we can manufacture additional copies of the Skulljack for use during away missions. Doctor Tygan also thinks that we may be able to improve the basic design at some point.[MC10]
  • Additional Medikit Production. We all know that medical supplies are at a premium. We can dedicate a portion of our manufacturing output to augment what Doctor Ranma can put together in Medical each week, but that means a cut in other areas. [Manufacturing Cost: 2/kit]
  • Advanced Surgical Kit. Our medikits are pretty fantastic, but even they can only do so much. This kit, designed for field use, can keep a critically injured team member alive long enough for more substantial medical intervention back on the Avenger. [Game Note: this is a one-use Raise Dead device.] [MC5/kit]
  • Advanced Medical Center. The upgrade to the Avenger’s power system will allow us to further upgrade our facilities. The project outline includes debris clearance on the lower decks. [MC20, requires Improved Medical Capacity, adds unlocks, +1d6 medikit production.]
  • Advanced Research Center. The upgrade to the Avenger’s power system will allow us to further upgrade our facilities. The project outline includes debris clearance on the lower decks. [MC20, requires Improved Research Capacity, adds unlocks, +1d10 research output.]
  • Power Relay. While we’re good for now on our power needs, Chief Shen says we’ll need additional work once we get going on our lower decks expansion. This could also potentially benefit our research program, as Doctor Tygan believes that we can use this upgrade to begin integrating Elerium into our field technology. [MC20, requires Ignition Matrix, unlocks Elerium, needed for second Advanced Center upgrade, 8 points completed].
  • Defensive Turrets. Our raid on the alien supply ship highlights our own vulnerability to attack. This upgrade would add a pair of automatic turrets to the exterior of the ship, flanking the exit ramp. [MC15]
  • Mundane Toolkits. Chief Shen can produce just about any kind of ordinary toolkit in the workshop. Just let her know what you need and we'll see that it's added to the queue. [MC varies depending on the tool.]
As always, be sure to submit your recommendations by Friday so we can maximize our production decisions.

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:53 am

This time around the team had a "critical mission failure". The shuttle got badly damaged just before landing in the desert. The place was full of ADVENT troops and the team barely made it back in one piece. The guys also asked about the old lady. She was MI-6 in the old days and was in the war against the aliens. The team discussed what to do, other than the "desert strike" there was a smuggler ring that they could investigate or a heavily defended base somewhere else to attack. They also discussed the research and manufacturing options. After the debriefing JD went to sick bay and took a nap after that. He also went to the shooting range to practice and collected left over ammo from the lockers. It was not clear how long it would take to get the shuttle fixed.

< RESEARCH & MANUFACTURING >

Craft Mech 8

LB did not give us the option to help repair the shuttle, if it is possible would anyone with goor REPAIR skill interested? Else if Craft Mech can be used (assuming DC <=15) I'll do that.

Otherwise, from the official list I would to try to do some research: ADVENT MEC Breakdown (which I assume will be DC 15).
Backup Plan: Making more Mag Ammo but I assume we should have plenty of that already.

For the talented people who can do stuff beyond my pay grade I would vote for:
1. xxx Autopsy. I guess nobody really cares about the stun lancer so Purifier (easy) or Sectoid (WIP)
2. Power Relay (WIP)
3. Advanced Surgical Kit or Motion Scanner (WIP)

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:55 pm

If you want to work on the shuttle, you can. If you can shave a few days off the repair time it is possible that you might be able to catch the smugglers before their current operation is concluded.

Ayram
Veteran Poster

Post by Ayram » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:40 pm

Daud was happy to play poker with everyone, especially since they got Tieffendahl to join them. It seemed like she might have accepted that this is where she was now, and that maybe she could make the best of it. It had been awhile since they did something other than work. It helped Daud to shed some of his frustration over the disaster in the desert. Not that he was going to let go of it completely.

After that, Daud thought about what he was going to do during the downtime. He thought about getting in on helping with the repairs, but he was wary about getting in the way, and he wanted some time alone away from other people for awhile anyway. So he decided to dig out one of the backlog of R&D stuff to tinker on. There were blueprints he could understand well enough, so it would probably not end in disaster. Probably.

//
Research:
1. Spider Suit
2. Sectoid autopsy
3. Leftovers into Stun Lancer autopsy or motion scanner
4. Daud will use +8 craft mech on motion scanner if it applies. If not, Shard Gun.

Manufacturing:
1. Power Relay
2. If relay completes, leftovers into Adv Research Center

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:15 am

// Thanks LB

JD Update:
Working on the shuttle repair (Craft Mech 8)

Vote: No change
1. xxx Autopsy. I guess nobody really cares about the stun lancer so Purifier (easy) or Sectoid (WIP)
2. Power Relay (WIP)
3. Advanced Surgical Kit or Motion Scanner (WIP

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:55 am

"See, I still don't get it," Bo said, frowning at her hand. They'd soon found out that wasn't much of a poker tell as she frowned at all her hands in equal measure. She'd pushed the topic of the base explosion already, so far unprepared to drop it. "Yes, it's hard to see the explosion as a coincidence given that it happened as we arrived but that's the point, it happened as we arrived. Smacked us about while we were in the air but not from a direct shot."

"If it was a trap, it wasn't much of a trap." That the betting in their games was for chores rather than currency may actually have increased the tension in them, not lessened it. There was already a complicated hierarchy of values as only a fool would rate cooking at the same level as cleaning the bathrooms. "Waiting for us to land would have made the damage worse surely, and waiting for us to be inside would have been a certain result. We could say they just went off half-cocked but that's not been their style to date. Trap just doesn't sit well."

"So lets say it was a coincidence, which begs a question." Betting as required the doctor pursed her lips as the communal cards were revealed, but again that happened every hand. It wasn't that she was an impassive player, she just played every hand the same way. "Why blow it up? Could be that they didn't want us to see what was inside but again, if they'd have waited until we were they'd almost certainly have gotten us too. The only thing that makes sense is that they wanted someone or something inside there gone."

"If we accept that it begs other questions." She examined the bets already in the pot and the faces of those who hadn't already folded intently, and then promptly did so herself. It wasn't that she was ever the 'big winner' but she rarely left the table down and usually up on get outs for those chores she really disliked. She leaned back sipping at her drink to let the remaining players finish the hand. "Which are 'who' or 'what', and 'why'?"

((Research option would be the Sectoid Autopsy first, which Bo will help with using Treat Injury 15, and I'm fine with armour as a second choice. I'd go with the Nanoscale Vest though, as it's something that would be useful to all and stacks with what we have already - I suspect a natural armour item - and so likely with future stuff too, but am happy to be voted down for one of the fancy options. If we're really lucky then roll the spare points into the most popular additional autopsy.

For future reference, if people with lower skill levels go research then I'd honestly put the Magnetic Rifle up there for research so we can make them rather than make more pistols.

Manufacturing option is simpler. Finish the Power Relay, start on the Advanced Research Upgrade. I don't see us finishing both but we might want to dribble some points into another Skulljack as it looks like they are disposable items?))

Shadani
Extreme Poster

Post by Shadani » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:40 am

((Research: 1) Nanoscale Vest or one of the armor suits, EXO for prefence. Whichever of those gets the most other votes. Figure we need *something* for survivability at this point.
2) Sectoid Autopsy.

Manufacturing: Power Relay, Adv Research.

Jesse will be adding her +17 to repair to efforts to repair the Skyranger, as she feels vaguely guilty indirectly hurting Firebrand's baby.))

"Could be loads of explanations," Jesse said, chewing on some rations while she went over the Skyranger blueprints on her tablet. She absent-mindedly wiped a few crumbs off the screen. "Maybe they had shit-poor timing. Maybe they underestimated how tough the Skyranger was. Maybe they wanted to cripple us and take some of us alive, and the ship mostly intact. That one still seems the most likely to me - they know the Avenger's the big prize. Losing an XCOM team would be a big blow, but it wouldn't put an end to us.

She shrugged. "Either way, any of those explanations seem several fucktons more likely than 'we just happened to be in the neighbourhood when they decided to blow up their own shit for completely unrelated reasons.' I bet you anything really valuable in that place was moved out days ago, anyway. They just had too much advance warning on this one. We made a bad call. Learn from it."

Klasa
Expert Poster

Post by Klasa » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:16 pm

"You know, I thought we had already decided to end this conversation as the Trap vs Not Trap sides refused to budge on their positions? Either way, we survived and kicked ADVENT butt, so not a horrible day. Anyways, while this is fun I gotta go start my training montage now. I wonder if Central will let me use the ship's comm to play some music to fit the mood?" Henderson said before nodding to the others, collecting his winnings of 'chore avoidance' vouchers, and heading off to begin his training.

And thus began an epic and heartfelt story of an old man seeking to get stronger, faster, and tougher through repetitive training exercises. While it was true he was probably already faster and stronger than most of the youngins' that was more on them than him. He knew he could get back in shape. He could be the next Rocky. He used to be a boxer once after all, back before the war. And then before that other war. And then before that other, other war. And then... well, you get the picture! Man, if only Central had let him use the ship's comms to play some training montage music, then the week would go by so much faster.

((Henderson is doing armor prof training this week. My votes for Research are Finish Sectoid Autopsy, then do EXO Armor. For Manufacturing, Power Relay and then Advanced Research Center))

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Post by smartalec » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:36 pm

Vic looks thoughtful... until he nods, finally. "Music. Not a bad idea, old man." He tosses down his cards, giving up on the last hand. "This place is too quiet... and we all seem to stay in our little boxes. I ain't met many of the science staff. Getting the feeling people see us as field team agents as some sorta other species."

He shook his head. "That ain't the way it oughta be, not at all. Gotta bring us all together a bit more, I reckon. Get us feeling like more... more like one thing, not just, hey, here's the Medical Team, here's the Tech Team... time to put that idea out there finally, I reckon. Radio XCom, baby."

"Gonna join the old-timer, though, I ain't gonna get shown up by him. Anyone wanna join?"

Before long, there's some copied paper poster-flyers in the corridors, posted up by a jogging Vic as he moves throughout the ship.

XCOM RADIO!
BORED ON YOUR DOWNTIME?
WANT YOUR VOICE HEARD?
VOLUNTEER!
BE A PRESENTER!
SEE: VIC WOOD, ALPHA TEAM

OOC: Heh. In his spare time, Vic's angling to set up a radio presenter rotation from among the crew, scrounging what music and news he can and broadcasting in semi-regular Central-approved slots around the ship. The hope's to boost morale, to report on the successes of Alpha Team and other groups in the fight against the Aliens, and the excesses and evils of ADVENT, and put out some uplifting music.

So far it's just inside the ship, but who knows? Maybe the broadcasts could be recorded and delivered to other holdouts...

For now, though, Vic puts forth a vote to finish the Sectoid Autopsy. Let's see what's in these aliens.

Manufacturing, the Power Relay and Advanced Research are good choices, we need that war footing and there's too many projects to not need it.

... but Vic'll hope that there's enough Mag Ammo around to use, and join Henderson in Armour training while he waits for people to talk to him about radio show broadcasting!