X-COM 2 - 2019 Campaign Thread

Moderator:Lazybones

Klasa
Expert Poster
Re: X-COM 2 - 2019 Campaign Thread

Post by Klasa » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:04 pm

(( Research vote is Exo Suit. Manufacturing is Advanced Research Center. And Henderson will spend the week training for heavy armor prof.))

No time for resting, even when on vacation it seemed. Or wait, they weren’t really on vacation he supposed, but rather hiding out in a frozen wasteland for their lives. But everyone seemed to be in high spirits regardless of that fact, at least.

Vic even managed to get their radio station idea off the ground, to varying levels of approval from the team and crew. Can’t wait for his turn at the helm of that beast though, though it would have to wait until he finished the old man’s training regimen, and boy oh boy, Sweds didn’t kid around when it came to training.

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Session 21

+750xp for full party IC posting.
+500xp to Bo for skill roll critical success.

Your “vacation” in the northern latitudes ends up being anything but, as Central demands that all crew members, strike team members included, participate in a massive overhaul of the Avenger’s systems. All of the stresses placed on the aging ship by the recent missions have left dozens of components in dire need of replacement, and Lily spends double shifts in the new manufacturing bay replicating parts that everyone else gets to spend hours installing. In some cases the old parts literally disintegrate as you extract them. Each of you gains a new appreciation for the number of things that can go wrong on a captured alien starship.

Despite the demands of this project, you do manage to find time to finish work on the Advanced Research Center, although progress is slow and your other ongoing projects do not show similar success.
TO: MEMBERS, PLANNING COMMITTEE
CC: CENTRAL
RE: Research/Manufacturing Progress Report, Week Ending August 24, 2035

I know that repairs to the Avenger are an important priority, but I hope that we can quickly bring the Advanced Research Center online to start clearing up the current backlog of research projects. And while I certainly do not wish to second guess Central’s command decisions, I will note that we will have a difficult time securing the information we require about ADVENT’s operations while we are in hiding in the Arctic. Let us hope that the enemy has not advanced its agenda while we have been off the board.
Base rolls:
X-COM Research Capacity (2d10+2): rolls 4, 3, +2 (Darius Singh) (10/15 points in EXO Suit, 3/5 points in Stunlancer Autopsy).
  • Daud: +8 vs. DC15 on Shard Gun, roll 3 (No Result).
  • Bo: +15 vs. DC15 on Stunlancer Autopsy, roll 19 (Critical Success). +3 to project. +500xp.
X-COM Manufacturing Capacity (3d10): rolls 2, 6, 1, +1 (Mendoza), +1 (Tieffendahl), +1 (Johnson). (20/20 points in Advanced Research Center [completed]).
  • John: +8 vs. DC15 on Mag Ammunition, roll 2 (No Result).
  • Jesse: +17 vs. DC25 on Advanced Research Center, roll 6 (No Result).
  • Stan +16 vs. DC25 on Advanced Research Center, roll 11 (Success). +1 to project.
X-COM Medical Capacity (2d6): rolls 5, 6 (11 new medikits produced this week)

Henderson and Victor: armor training (Heavy Armor Proficiency achieved)

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:05 am

VM, I uploaded a new version of the mod to your Box account.

Klasa
Expert Poster

Post by Klasa » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:48 pm

Sorry all, but looks like I won’t actually be able to play today. I’m currently out of town today, and turns out the WiFi here is garbage. Was getting like 40 kB download speed when I ran it through a speed test. And coupled with the fact my laptop messed up the game download at home it turns out I’m pretty much sure it isn’t happening this week for me, sorry all.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:01 pm

((Server is up, usual details.))

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:40 pm

You get the Planning Committee email from Central as you’re exiting the shower.
We’re heading back into the fight. Hopefully the time we’ve spent licking our wounds and repairing the ship will tide us through the rest of this war.

Our priority needs to be getting to the bottom of what the aliens are trying to accomplish with the biological research program we keep encountering. To that end I’ll be drawing up a list of possible targets with an objective of drawing out an ADVENT officer we can skulljack.

The human collaborator scientist did have an implant, and Doctor Tygan tells me that your skulljack extracted useful data. Between that and the information that you downloaded from their research center, hopefully we can get some answers.

The advanced weapons tech and the new alien type you encountered are troubling. The advanced grenade you found is something we might be able to replicate, once the new Medical Center is up and running. The “viper” alien is something else entirely. Hopefully we can learn from it now that our research facilities are fully upgraded.

Research Projects

MC costs in this list are for subsequent copies of an item once it is researched. Initial research just uses X-COM Research Capacity.

Decoding the data you gathered from the Arctic Base will use up 5 RC.

Base production is 3d10+2 (Singh)
  • Magnetic Rifle. We can expand upon our success with the mag pistol and create a full-sized rifle that can project mag rounds with devastating speed and accuracy. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC10, MC8]
  • Shard Gun. The Shard Gun takes standard shotgun shells and superheats them in a magnetic ignition chamber. The result is a molten spray of burning death. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC10, MC8]
  • Gauss Weapons. With our mastery of ADVENT's core weapon technology, we can now develop specialized weapon systems using the alien technology to improve on power storage and consumption, projectile path fidelity, and penetrative force over greater distances. We may be able to develop a sniper rifle and cannon variant based on our newly learned Magnetic Weapons technology. [RC10]
  • Nanoscale Vest. The Nanoscale vest is a light armor underlay derived from ADVENT armor. This vest can be worn with all X-COM armors to provide additional protection. [RC15]
  • Predator Armor. Predator armor represents our first foray into new body protection based on alien hybrid materials. This suit of medium armor offers excellent protection against most forms of attack. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC15, MC10]
  • Spider Suit. This suit of light armor offers improved protection over the basic X-COM Kevlar, and includes a grapple that can be used to access improved tactical positions on the battlefield. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC15, MC10]
  • EXO Suit. This suit of heavy armor provides superior protection, and includes an embedded rocket launcher. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC15, MC15, 10 points completed]
  • Improved Medikit. Doctor Ranma tells us that we can improve our basic medical kits to provide more effective battlefield triage. All current medikit production will be upgraded once this technology is researched. [RC10]
  • Personal Shield. Our successful autopsy of the ADVENT Shieldbearer has opened up a promising line of inquiry that may allow us to integrate this tech into our own armors. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC20, MC10]
  • ADVENT Purifier Autopsy. With a greater understanding of the systems behind the ADVENT Purifier's unusual tolerance of environmental hazards, it will likely be possible to emulate their methods for some use in our own equipment.[RC5]
  • ADVENT Stun Lancer Autopsy. The ADVENT Stun Lancer is commonly seen maintaining order and quelling disturbances throughout the world. Their unique stun lance could be adapted into a weapon our Rangers are already training to use. [RC5, 3/5 points completed]
  • ADVENT MEC Breakdown. These mechanized units have a familiar humanoid form, but we haven't found any indication of a pilot or biological control system. I'm hoping that once we've pulled it apart, I'll be able to mirror some of their advancements in our own weapons and robotic systems. [RC5]
  • Berserker Autopsy. This unusual specimen is clearly afflicted by some form of extreme muscular hyperthrophy, although how the species came to exist in this state will require a thorough examination. I suspect the research could lead to varying enhancements for our own troops, perhaps even means of intensifying their own thirst for combat. [RC10]
  • Viper Autopsy. This creature is clearly reptilian in nature, although it appears to be not only sentient, but also highly intelligent. Still, the underlying physiology is remarkably similar to a number of terrestrial species- including the venom sacks, which we might be able to synthesize and incorporate for use in our medical supplies. [RC10]
  • Elerium. The aliens, and to a lesser extent ADVENT, have long relied on the otherworldly element known as Elerium to power everything from their weapons systems to the UFOs themselves. It may take some time but furthering our understanding of this material could greatly advance our own weapon and armor development projects.[RC15]
  • Psionics. Although we've seen them wielding Psionic powers before, our recent encounters with the aliens have truly shown us how they are able to deftly manipulate the flow of Psionic energy and use it to their advantage. If we were to master it as well as they have, the potential applications in the field would be limitless.[RC20]
Manufacturing Projects

Base production is 3d10+1 (Mendoza) +1 (Tieffendahl) +1 (Johnson)
  • Mag Pistol. The workshop can now manufacture additional copies of the magnetic pistol. [MC5]
  • Magnetic Ammunition. This ammunition can be used in all of our magnetic weaponry. [MC1/2 (one unit of capacity produces two boxes)].
  • Skulljack. If needed, we can manufacture additional copies of the Skulljack for use during away missions. Doctor Tygan also thinks that we may be able to improve the basic design at some point.[MC10]
  • Additional Medikit Production. We all know that medical supplies are at a premium. We can dedicate a portion of our manufacturing output to augment what Doctor Ranma can put together in Medical each week, but that means a cut in other areas. [Manufacturing Cost: 2/kit]
  • Advanced Surgical Kit. Our medikits are pretty fantastic, but even they can only do so much. This kit, designed for field use, can keep a critically injured team member alive long enough for more substantial medical intervention back on the Avenger. [Game Note: this is a one-use Raise Dead device.] [MC5/kit]
  • Advanced Medical Center. The upgrade to the Avenger’s power system will allow us to further upgrade our facilities. The project outline includes debris clearance on the lower decks. [MC20, requires Improved Medical Capacity, adds unlocks, +1d6 medikit production.]
  • Defensive Turrets. Our raid on the alien supply ship highlights our own vulnerability to attack. This upgrade would add a pair of automatic turrets to the exterior of the ship, flanking the exit ramp. [MC15]
  • Mundane Toolkits. Chief Shen can produce just about any kind of ordinary toolkit in the workshop. Just let her know what you need and we'll see that it's added to the queue. [MC varies depending on the tool.]
Remember to get your recommendations in by Friday.

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:20 pm

Hey everyone: due to problems with this site (the code has allowed spammers to hit the site hard, and it isn't being actively managed to deal with it at the moment), I am moving our discussion to the reborn Neverwinter Connections site that Carlo set up.

Please join at https://neverwinterconnections.org/forums/2214470. I will be reposting the current threads there, but will keep this forum active for archival purposes.

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:19 am

Distress Signal?

The team went into the frozen land to locate the source of a very dim distress signal. The beam was coming from a snowy cave. There was patches of green "goo" here and there. Someone mentioned blood. Green blood? At the back of the cave system a wooden hut was found and next to it two human bodies and the transmitter. John grabbed the lighter body. The other was left in place. He had to drop it as some kind of Giant Alien Standing Snakes (GASS?!) came out of nowhere and attacked them. A few rounds of ammo later the place was "cleaned up". A snake body and the frozen body were taken to the shuttle. Instead of going home, the group tried and succeeding in locating a hidden ADVENT base nearby. The place was searched. After some tough fights one scientist tried to surrender but there must have been some kind of safety device preventing that...

MANUFACTURING: "I think we really need these fancy Ammo. Sorry about the last batch. Let me try again." (CRAFT MECH 8)

RESEARCH" "Guys, anyone working on that ELERIUM thing? Or you guys want to complete that EXO project first?"

1. EXO
2. ELERIUM