X-COM 2 - 2019 Campaign Thread

Moderator:Lazybones

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster
Re: X-COM 2 - 2019 Campaign Thread

Post by Mirgalen » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:05 am

// Assuming the next live session is taking place Aug 24th 2035 and referring to LB's note "Game Note: the Medium Armor and Heavy Armor Proficiency rings are free, but you will need to train for a week to be able to get them (one week for Medium, then a second week for Heavy)"

BTW we don't know the weight of these armors even with rings not sure if all of us will be able to wear them.

I was wandering if it would be ok to do the following:
Week 1 (Aug 4th): Intensive training to be able to use Medium armor
Week 2 (Aug 11th): Intensive training to be able to use Heavy armor
Week 3 (Aug 18th): Resume Research and Manufacturing

//

Since the team was able to fix the shuttle rather quickly it was decided that perhaps checking out the smugglers was the best course of action. The group went to the dock and boarded a ship that was way too quiet for JD's taste. No guards, no cameras nothing. They went in without problem only to find the body of a sailor. Then went in a bit further before being attacked by a huge creature, like those in H.P. Lovercraft books. Luckily there was enough firepower to take it down. Taking the think back was another story. It was way too big so only sample were taken. Outside of the ship and ADVENT patrol showed up and was dealt with... with bullets.

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:10 pm

To clarify, during the hiatus you can work on one project (or train on armor proficiency), I'm not treating it as multiple weeks in terms of making skill rolls.

Ayram
Veteran Poster

Post by Ayram » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:54 am

Things didn't go as they expected, to say the least. Not that they went terribly, like before. Just... interesting.

Daud had never seen anything so monstrously intimidating as that "berserker," as they were calling it. Did the aliens actually use these things on the battlefield before ADVENT, or was this some kind of freak mutation or genetic experiment gone wrong? Daud was up close and personal with it while it was trying to kill them, and it was all he could do to keep it at it bay for a few moments. He was sure if he made one wrong step he'd have had a giant fist shaped hole in his chest like that smuggler captain. Tygan was saying that maybe they could develop some "enhancements" from studying it's tissues, but Daud wanted nothing to do with anything that came from that beast.

They were in the frozen north now, and things were going slowly. They kept the temperature comfortable -thanks to the Elerium, Daud guessed- but still, slow. He had time to get to know the crew a little more, not that they necessarily had time for him. He bothered Doc Bo (she always -looked- bothered anyway) and the rest of the team about getting to that Stun Lancer that had been sitting on ice. Tygan said that they could see about mimicing or maybe even improving on their weapon design, and Daud was very keen on that.

Daud caught Vic and Henderson taking a break from their heavy training one moment, and found himself curious as to how much their burden actually weighed. Would the armor they were developing really be that heavy?

To pass the time, Daud once again dug out one of the blueprints for their more untouched projects and tinkered with it. Maybe he could do the innards just right.

//
Research:
1. EXO armor
2. Stun Lancer autopsy
3.Put any spare points into the Nanoscale Vest
4. Daud will try to use his Craft Mech +8 on the Shard Gun, hopefully the dice will be good to him at 15 DC

Manufacturing:
1. Continue Adv. Research Center
2. Put spare points into either, extra mag pistol or an advanced surgical kit
Last edited by Ayram on Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ayram
Veteran Poster

Post by Ayram » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:57 am

// Oh yeah, Daud was asking IC, but can we get a ballpark of what the heavy and medium armors are supposed to weigh? With some of us training for proficiency, I figure their training equipment may be a good indicator. I ask because, as Mirg pointed out, some of us might not have the str to actually wear them unencumbered.

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:18 am

Ayram wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:57 am
// Oh yeah, Daud was asking IC, but can we get a ballpark of what the heavy and medium armors are supposed to weigh? With some of us training for proficiency, I figure their training equipment may be a good indicator. I ask because, as Mirg pointed out, some of us might not have the str to actually wear them unencumbered.
Predator Armor is 30lbs. It provides a total 6 AC and a few minor damage resistances.
EXO Suit is 50lbs, but includes a powered exoskeleton that gives a +2 strength bonus, so that should offset in most cases. It provides a total 8 AC and slightly more damage resistances than the Predator Suit.
The Spider Suit is 10 lbs and 5 AC. It doesn't give any DR but includes the grapple item which allows for a limited tactical teleport ability.
Most of the armor underlays (such as the Nanoscale Vest) add 6 lbs to the weight of the armor.

Another thing you might want to consider is that the EXO suit has a -8 armor penalty, while the Predator has only -2 (that will affect your stealth rolls).

All 3 of the above suits have another higher-tier option as well.

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Post by smartalec » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:00 pm

"... and that was 'Stayin' Alive' by the Bee Gees here on Whatever Pre-War Music We Can Scavenge Hour. Life in the Arctic may be cooold, damn cold, but that's okay, because the tunes are still hot, here on X-Com Radio. We're here for you, three hours a day, alien patrols permitting!"

"Coming up next we have some messages from the crew... 'Why can't Central send the field teams to steal some Advent Burgers? I could go for one of those,' asks Vito, from Engineering. I hear you, Vito! A recent crew poll showed that in an emergency, if given a choice between eating the alien autopsy subjects we have in Science, or the synth food from the Manufacturer, 55% are happy to chow down on alien nosh! Sorry, everyone - flavour molecules are on the research list, but the idea of armour plating's even tastier."

"And from 'Sarah' in Trainee Medical, 'Can we get a dog?' Aww, Sarah. We'll look into it! Maybe Alpha Team can go out there and find you a polar bear. Or is it penguins up here? Write in and let me know at the usual address - the Storage Compartment, Lower Deck."

"Aaaand I'm told no contacts on sensors, so here's something to keep you wam, 'Ice Ice Baby', by Vanilla Ice... maybe the invasion wasn't such a bad idea after all. Coming up soon, that's right, it's the Best of ADVENT Pop Hour, and we have a special guest to help me get through it! Stay tuned!"

OOC: Research on the EXO Armour's cool with me.

Manufacturing priority is surely the Advanced Research Center! After that, Vic will... I think he's still training, but if not, he'll make some more mag pistol ammo with craft mech +4.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:12 pm

"That version is not the Bee Gees," Bo stated mid-autopsy, seemingly having that decided working on the Stun-Lancer was the best way to shut Daud up. "That is the 2012 cover version by Axxis," she added over a contradiction by the nurse assisting her as the 'blast from the past' finished playing over the intercom, "which admittedly is so poorly reproduced it's hard to tell."

"No one could leave that one alone." She paused for a moment and gestured to the speaker. "It was covered 11 times between first release and 2016. Once by Dweezil Zappa and Ozzy Osbourne even," she snorted in derision, "but that is very definitely the Axxis version. If you know anything about disco you can tell by the style of lead guitar and the failure to hit the notes in the chorus line." She cocked her head as the next song came on.

"And if you know anything about music you would know this one should have remained forgotten," she remarked. "My mother, rest her soul, will be spinning in her grave."

((For research I would prefer the Nanoscale Armour as it's usable by all but favour armour of one type as our priority even if that is not the most popular. Bo will put herself to work on the Stun Lancer autopsy, Treat Injury is now 15.

Manufacturing is a yes for finishing the Advanced Research Centre and while it might be tempting fate, we probably should get an Advanced medkit. Following that I'd prefer to put any spare points, if there are any, into beginning the Advanced Medical centre.))

Shadani
Extreme Poster

Post by Shadani » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:11 am

"We used to actually have a dog, you know," Jesse grumbled in the wake of Victor's latest broadcast, to some of the engineers on duty. She was elbow-deep in an old filtration unit, and the damned piece of scrap was not co-operating. "His name was Max. And ADVENT shot him. They fucking shot him! Who shoots a dog?!"

There followed a brief pause.

"I mean, I've shot dogs.Obviously. But that was different! Most of them were rabid. And a few to eat. But you know, apart from that - who shoots a dog, right?"

"What? Why are you all looking at me like that?"

((Research: Nanoscale or Exo Suits; which ever gets the most other votes.
Manufacturing: Stay the course with research capacity. Jesse adds her +17 to repair to the effort.))

Karvon
Forum God

Post by Karvon » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:32 am

The smuggler mission had provided a rude surprise when the team stumbled upon the genetic freak monster that'd rampaged thru the ship and eliminated most of the crew in the process. Hunting monsters definitely wasn't part of Stanley's job description, so he'd kept well clear of the noise and fighting after let off a couple of non-effective rounds at the beast. He still wasn't sure exactly how they managed to kill it, but it was finally dispatched, and after dodging ADVENT response teams, the group had escaped back to their base ship once more.

After resting up, Stanley devoted himself to patiently working on ship clearance and expansion teams. He fashioned a crude set of noise cancelling earphones so he wouldn't have to listen to the noise, some of the others labeled as music. In the silence and solitude, he worked methodically on.

//focusing efforts on advanced research center; repairs 16 as I recall.

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:51 pm

"Hey, I want to make sure we have enough advanced ammo considering we are making more fancy pistols." (Craft Mech 8).

"I would love to dismantle that thing that could help us improve weapons and our little robots but I'm not a lab rat. I figured can it be more complicated than say a bomb squad suit? If no why can't I have a crack at it? I know you guys think that exo skeleton thing may be a better target but it's also harder, no?"

// Making Mag ammo (Craft Mech 8)