Baldur's Gate II - Discussion

Purple Puppy's Campaigns

Moderator:Purple Puppy

Purple Puppy
Expert Poster
Re: Baldur's Gate II - Discussion

Post by Purple Puppy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:17 am

There's a handful of powerful katanas in the game, but it could take a while before you find one, not sure.

Anyways, I will mostly use a longsword in each hand, as there are plenty of longswords in the game and thieves can't use the more powerful swords like bastard swords and such. But I'll also use the shortbow.

I'm going with a human, chaotic good, swashbuckler.

Purple Puppy
Expert Poster

Post by Purple Puppy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:03 pm

Are we going to bother with back stories?

Obviously the protagonist is the child of Bhaal, but what about everyone else? I was thinking of making my character a local thief from Amn rather than someone who's traveled with the Bhaal-child in the past. 8-)

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:33 pm

Raganui wrote:Oh? What sword is that? And if so I will go with Katana, especially if the katanas aren't just like +1 or +2... but have something else like some of those good other weapons.
Man, it's been awhile, but one of the bonus merchants sold a +2(?) katana that also gave an AC bonus and mage spell bonus. I'll have to boot up the game and get through the first dungeon before I can findout if I can add the merchants or not. At the very least, I know of a +3 one that's very good, but as Purple said, it'll be awhile before we get it. One of the merchants should have a +1 somewhere, so defeating resistances shouldnt' be a problem.

Raganui
Veteran Poster

Post by Raganui » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:15 pm

Hmm, alright. Well, hopefully we'll get the connection information and such by Friday. I don't really know what the hell the storyline is for the games, so all I got for backstory is that he's a wandering kensai.
Ninja Ninja.

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:55 am

Don't worry, I'll be posting that soon enough. :P

Raganui
Veteran Poster

Post by Raganui » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:29 am

SO yea, should we go ahead and roll up our characters?
Ninja Ninja.

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:27 pm

That would be preferable, but I'll be starting a half-hour early this first session. Remember to load Shadows of Ahm and not The Throne of Bhaal! If you start the later, you'll start out at level 18 versus level 8 and we're playing SoA through ToB, and not starting with ToB.

BTW, if you want a custom picture, you'll need to create it:
The measurements for player portraits are 38X60 pixels for
the smaller portraits (8-bit color runs faster but it can be
up to 24 bit color), and 110X170 pixels for the larger
portraits. To use a custom portrait, place it in the
Portraits directory (in the install directory for the game)
and add an S to the end of the small portrait name and an L
to the end of the large portrait - otherwise the two names
must be identical. The names must be 1-7 letters long,
maximum - so the filename with the S or L added to the end
is no longer than 8 total characters. The portrait files
must be in BMP format.

For example:
XXXXXXXS.bmp for small (38x60, 8-bit)
XXXXXXXL.bmp for large (110x170, 24-bit)

Raganui
Veteran Poster

Post by Raganui » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:38 pm

Ok, then I got a Kensai ready. 101 max health, 4 ac, number of attacks 3/2, base THAC0 of 14 and THAC0 of 11. Some decent saves. And that's before I actually pick up a katana, not sure what my stuff will be once I do, considering I took max one weapon proficiency and katana proficiency.
Ninja Ninja.

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:37 pm

My portraits: http://www.4shared.com/file/80817992/fe ... raits.html

I created an Undead Hunter with long bow/2-handed sword and 2-handed weapon style. Since I'll be on the front lines with Rag, I'll need good armor. Bobo, we'll need to decide who gets to wear what since only you and I will be wearing armor it seems, Kensai's can't wear armor. Rag, don't forget that you can use certain ranged weapons like throwing axes/daggers and the like, you just can't use missle weapons like slings, bows or crossbows.

Klasa
Expert Poster

Post by Klasa » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:46 pm

Hmm... As far as backgrounds goes, I've thought up one for my character, though whether or not he's traveled with Bhaal-child in the past I didn't think of... And he'll be a Neutral Good Elven Wild Mage. Oh, and I'll be focusing on Slings.