The DMFI - campaign essentials

A place to discuss news stories from the front page.
Venture
Site Admin
The DMFI - campaign essentials

Post by Venture » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:18 am

(From the front page)

Some of the most essential assets in running multiplayer campaigns in both NWN and NWN2 come from the DMFI team. What is the DMFI? Carlo from the DMFI team has been nice enough to answer that for us. In Carlo's words:

The DM-Friendly Initiative (DMFI) is devoted to promoting DM-led gaming in Neverwinter Nights (NWN) and its successor Neverwinter Nights 2 (NWN2). Its mission is to:

* Develop DM tools such as the DMFI Wands & Widgets for NWN and the DMFI Tools for NWN2.

* Support DM training. Download DMFI 101:So You Want To Be A DM or DM 101 for NWN2 and participate in DMFI forum discussions on DMing.

* Encourage DM-friendly module design by reviewing and certifying both NWN modules and NWN2 modules on Neverwinter Vault.

* Share resources via the DMFI website.

The DMFI is pleased to support the NWN Campaigns site. Look for related posts in the Tools, tips, tutorials, and training Forum, and other forums.

Thanks Carlo!

Dane Bramage
Expert Poster

Re: The DMFI - campaign essentials

Post by Dane Bramage » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:17 pm

nice post there Venture. and thanks to Carlo for taking the time over the years to keep DMFI going. the game would not be the same without it.

bravo, Carlo.

oh... and BTW... he's a great DM. if you ever get a chance to be in a game he's running, then ya need to do whatever it takes to get into it.

Venture
Site Admin

Post by Venture » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:47 pm

I can't even imagine DMing a game without the DMFI tools, especially in NWN2 where the tools fill in some glaring needs that aren't in the DM client. I just recently downloaded DM101 for NWN2, which I'm going to give a spin. I saw mentioned (can't remember where) that you can quickslot some of the DM commands, which I wasn't able to do previously, so I'm eager to see what the module has to say.

Carlo
Forum God

Post by Carlo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:04 am

Thanks for posting the DMFI resource links, as well as for the other comments. I've greatly enjoyed DMing a large variety of folks over the years, and had the good fortune as well to play in several memorable campaigns.

Something I thought I should mention that's very relevant to this site is the DMFI article on Creating a Neverwinter Nights Campaign. It's a bit older, so the links are primarily geared toward NWN resources, but most of the design concepts are also equally valid for NWN2.

Venture
Site Admin

Post by Venture » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:34 am

Thanks Carlo. I see you've also released the Creating Believable and Memorable NPCs article. Another good, helpful read.

Carlo
Forum God

Post by Carlo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:31 pm

In the category of never-say-die, with many thanks to Venture we now have boards set up here at NWN Campaigns for the soon-to-be revived DM-Friendly Initiative. Stop on by the DMFI board when you have a chance, as it gets increasingly populated with DM and campaign resources.

DMFI forum link: viewforum.php?f=65

Anyone interested in formally or informally contributing to the initiative is welcome to PM me or post there as well.

It's great that NWN Campaigns and the NWN community in general have lasted this long and are now experiencing something of a revival, in large part thanks to the success of NWN: Enhanced Edition, which will ensure the viability of the gaming platform for the foreseeable future.