Suggestions for persistent world functionality?

Need help or want to make suggestions?
Venture
Site Admin
Suggestions for persistent world functionality?

Post by Venture » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:34 am

One of the features the site admins have talked about since shortly after launch is to give persistent worlds some features here at the site. I'll be the first to admit that my PW experience is not that extensive, although I have played on a few for NWN and one for NWN2.

So, what would you PW folks like to see? Keep in mind that the site is geared towards campaigns, so that should still be the main focus. For example, one thought would be to have a listing of persistent worlds, with each PW's entry containing a list of all the campaigns run on that PW (with links to the entry in the campaign database). That's not to say that ALL features have to be rigidly about campaigns on PWs, but I don't want to dilute the purpose of the site, which is to help players find campaigns, and people running campaigns to find players.

I can't make any promises either. I learn more each day about getting things running here, but I'm far from a pro, too.

Dane Bramage
Expert Poster

Re: Suggestions for persistent world functionality?

Post by Dane Bramage » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:27 pm

Well... as a DM at a small PW, I would greatly appreciate a place to list my world.

I don't think it needs to be that much different than the campaign listing just change the stuff that pertains to campaign style play. For example, instead of "Open Slots" it should be "Max # of Players" to illustrate how robust the server is.

So... a quick run down...

Everywhere it says "Campaign" change that to either "PW" or "World"

I would add a Haks Needed field after the Expansions Required (and that could go for the regular campaign listing as well... tho, it can be a bit long winded sometimes... so maybe not.

Description is fine.

Setting is fine... remember to change Campaign, tho.

# of Openings to Max # of Players

Start date can go away.

Schedule can go away

Duration can go away.

Game Days can go away.

And so Can regular times.

Session Duration and Organizer can also go away.

Now... that's not to say that there aren't DMs at PWs that hold regular sessions. So, this should be incorporated. So... things to add.

Style of World (Heavy RP, Action/RP, H&S, etc)
Game Spy Connection Information
IP of Server
# of Active Players
# of Active DMs
DM Schedules (not sure how this would be implemented. might just be easier to have a text box that can be filled out.)

Organizer can be changed to PW Owner/Admin.

How to contact is fine as well as the rest of the stuff.

I think that's a good place to start at least. Get it that far and maybe others will chime in.

Thanks Venture.

Return to “Help and Suggestions”