Log Out Issues

Report bugs.
Dane Bramage
Expert Poster
Log Out Issues

Post by Dane Bramage » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:28 pm

I keep getting logged out of the site when I come back to it after being off for a bit. It started happening about the time of the switch to the new server. Not sure if it's on my end or not, so I thought I would post here and see if anyone else is having similar issues.

I'll log in and check the box to have the site remember me (and even in Firefox), but then I'll come back and I'll have to log in. Anyone else having this issue?

Venture
Site Admin

Re: Log Out Issues

Post by Venture » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:44 pm

Hmm, I'm not. Well, I do notice if I go to the front page first (not the forums), I sometimes am signed out, but that is rare. I'll see if there is a setting there. I usually stay logged in if I go to the forum first.

Dane, so I know where to look for problems, which page are you going to first? The main part of the site, or the forum? Even though the two are supposed to pass login info back and forth, they are actually two independent systems.

One last thought - you probably aren't, but make sure you aren't using the numerical IP address that was used during the temporary switchover. When I used that on a temporary basis on the switch to the new server, I had to login every time I visited the forum.

Everyone else, please post here if you get logged out, and please indicate whether it is when visiting the forum, or visiting the main part of the site.

One last thing to try - delete your browser cache, cookies for this site, and then restart your browser and login (you'll need to the first time) and see if it keeps you logged in on future visits.

Dane Bramage
Expert Poster

Post by Dane Bramage » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:19 pm

i am hitting the front page now. i figured you put so much work into it, i should at least look at it every now and again.

i think it may be another issue regarding the IP/name server.

i'll recreate the bookmark and see if that fixes it.

thanks.

Venture
Site Admin

Post by Venture » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:05 pm

From what I can tell from reading up on it, it turns out that the default behavior of the engine this site uses is to log you out every time you close your browser. It seems to be that it does it more often than that, though. I have just installed a module that inserts a "remember me" box below the login boxes. The next time you are logged out, you should see it. Let's see if checking that fixes the issue. Of course, remember to use that only on a private computer.

I have heard of issues with the "remember me" module where it creates some problems when a user tries to edit his or her account info. The way to fix it if you run into trouble, is to click on "My account", scroll to the bottom of the main window, and under "Security" click on the "erase persistent logins now" link.

Dane Bramage
Expert Poster

Post by Dane Bramage » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:22 pm

i'll keep an eye on it and let you know.

thanks for looking a bit deeper into it.

Venture
Site Admin

Post by Venture » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:26 pm

Well, I've tried a couple of solutions to keep persistent logins, and neither worked. I'm speculating, but I think the problem may be in the forum module, that ties the phpbb3 forum login system with the login system for the rest of the site. That passes authentication from one to the other, and may get in the way of persistent logins .

The only solution might be to go to the built in forum capability, which does have some other benefits as a result of being tied together with everything else. That has improved, so something to chew on.

Dane Bramage
Expert Poster

Post by Dane Bramage » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:33 pm

tell ya what... if i go to the forum page first, i stayed logged in. if i go to the home page first, i don't. but, if i go from the forum page to the home page, then i'm fine also.

not sure if that helps.

Venture
Site Admin

Post by Venture » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:23 am

Thanks for the info. When you go to the forum, and then the home page, the forum (which doesn't drop your login session) passes your login to the front page (so even if you had been logged out, you will be instantly logged in). I'll read up, but I'm not sure there is a fix for doing it the other way.