Conversation at the Old Beard Tavern, middark Tarsakh 5

Moderator:Carlo

Jaokith
Veteran Poster
Conversation at the Old Beard Tavern, middark Tarsakh 5

Post by Jaokith » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:17 pm

Aerikoth watched the two mercenaries, Thorsan and Yendil, depart for a drink at the bar a moment longer.

"As I said Dermot, that was rather generous of you", the short wizard looked at his companion from his seat, "It would not be surprising if they just make use of the gold you gave them and never make their way to the Shore District."

He glanced at Lloria and Rosten before looking about the area of the establishment they found themselves for a few moments. "As we wait for our dwarven comrades", Aerikoth began in a low tone of voice looking once again at Dermot, "we seem to be in an area of privacy. Did any of you wish to voice your concerns further about the intended target of our implication? I am not against forgoing the use of the letter if any of you can explain to me how my thoughts on the matter are inaccurate in some regard."

The wizard sat back in his chair his hands folded in his sleeves. "I bear no ill will towards that organization at this time", he stated plainly in a neutral tone, "And if they have a presence within this city then I would be surprised if they do not possess the same information that we do, if not more."

Tribunal
Experienced User

Re: Conversation at the Old Beard Tavern, middark Tarsakh 5

Post by Tribunal » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:13 am

Lloria would be standing nearby leaning on her halberd like a walking staff and with her back to the wall where she could keep an eye on the door. Her Northlander accent was as horrific as it usually was. Given her already light and wispy voice she barely had to lower it for privacy.

"This was probably th'bes' ou'come wi'th'mercenaries tha' we could hope fer. We dun need anybody talkin' abou' our business t'nigh'.... if two hundred gold ge's them off our back, an' maybe ge's us a connection t'th'Mercenary Guild t'boot, then s'be i'. As fer th'letter..."

She sighed lightly. "All I'm sayin' is tha' ther' -WILL- be blow-back from this. Wo' yer suggestin' is framin' them. I dun expect them t'be very happy abou' i'. Dun be surprised if they show up down th'line an' mean t'take y't'task o'er this. I think th'real qualifier here should be, dun go forward wi' leavin' this letter if yer not willin' t'ave t'figh' or otherwise deal wi' th'arpers if they dun like i'."

Jaokith
Veteran Poster

Post by Jaokith » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:05 am

Aerikoth looked at Lloria and responded in his typical calm demeanor, "I comprehend your concern for a retaliation at some point in the future for this implication but I do not share any such concerns. Consider that any 'blow-back' as you refer to it is dependent on our foes discovering members of the faction within this city. Something rather difficult to accomplish." He cleared his throat, "Also, at this time, I am not concerned about any potential fight with the implicated faction considering our endeavor tonight. Of course, that may change in time but my thoughts are for the here and now."

Face
Experienced User

Post by Face » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:29 pm

Rosten finished another flagon of ale and slammed it down onto the table, wiping his mouth.

His yellowed eyes turned slowly from Aerikoth to Lloria and narrowed. When he spoke, his voice was bitter and rasping.

"As for them two mercenaries, the best outcome would o' been you not takin' the map out such as they could see it, missy. Don't know what taverns you've been spendin' your time in but you'd best be wising up right quick now that you're in Westgate. And never go showin' a map to any man that ain't in your crew."

The halfling paused to turn and spit onto the floor of the tavern. When he looked up, his yellowed eyes were trained on the drinking sellswords at the bar.

"They ain't with th' Mercenaries Guild neither, or weren't you listening to 'em. They're just a couple o' swords for hire in a tavern. An' now they know our faces and Thessar's name, an' in a few hours they'll be drunk on Dermot's gold. Drunk an' loose lipped as sailors on shore-leave...on a night where we're tryin' to work quietly."

The hin's hand, resting on the table, slowly clenched into a fist, his filthy and jagged fingernails digging into his skin.

"We know their names too, though, so we do. Reckon when we meet with the Vulture's representative after the night's work is done, we make sure he knows 'em too."

Tribunal
Experienced User

Post by Tribunal » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:34 am

Lloria shrugs in response to Rosten. She wasn't particularly impressed by the entire situation in general but her tone was rather flat and neutral as it normally was. "How am I s'posed t'now they can see righ' through solid objects? I'd be more concerned abou' who'e'er magic they're enchanted wi' t'see though m'armor and th'backboard'a th'bench in fronna' th'table, frankly."

With that out of the way, she turned back to Aerikoth. "Yer no' concerned wi'th'future consequences? I'm no' sure wo' exactly we're talking abou', then. Y'seem like a smart fellow, is y'really no' worried abou' wo' could come from this, 'specially considerin' y'un need'a do i'?"

*EDIT: Spelling*

Jaokith
Veteran Poster

Post by Jaokith » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:11 am

"In my opinion, the points you raise Rosten are not without merit", Aerikoth stated plainly. "The mercenaries could present a problem, but I think it is more likely they will focus on the excessive and easily garnered gold." He looked over at the two men, Thorsan and Yendil, as they drank at the bar. "I suspect they will be inebriated shortly. In the morning they will probably awaken in the arms of a paid partner of their choosing."

The wizard turned towards Lloria and tilted his head, "I never claimed to not have any concern with future consequences. I stated at this time I am not concerned with this specific potential consequence." He frowned slightly, "Allow me to put it another way... In my opinion, our task this evening should be the top priority and in the unlikely event that any future problems may arise from the implication of the Harpers then they shall be dealt with as needed."

Aerikoth stared at her with an unblinking gaze. "Does that clear up your confusion?"

Tribunal
Experienced User

Post by Tribunal » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:40 am

She shrugs. "I dun think ther' was e'er any confusion. More incredulity an' hope tha' ye'd change course on this."

She spoke flatly. It didn't sound like she had much more else to say on the issue.

Jaokith
Veteran Poster

Post by Jaokith » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:30 am

Aerikoth continued to stare at Lloria for a moment longer before he asked, "Do you have some other faction in mind that we could implicate with a modicum of credibility? If there is another group that makes as much if not more sense, then tell me."

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Post by smartalec » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:16 pm

Dermot gives a heavy sigh, rubbing his face.

"Y'know. There are times, Aerikoth, every now and again. When you do a thing that ain't quite honourable. I didn't think we were implicating anyone, til tonight."

He sucks his teeth. "If we do this, then assuming we survive, it feels fair that we do what we can to find the Harper person you mentioned, once we're back on the road and let them know what we've done. This feels like the kind of thing that'll come back on us if we ain't careful... I'm pretty sure the folks we're hunting tonight'll kill us if they get the chance, but those who Harp? No idea. If they come to harm, and find out why, their friends might do anything."

Jaokith
Veteran Poster

Post by Jaokith » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:10 pm

"There was a conversation about implicating others to throw suspicion off of us at Thessar's early today Dermot", Aerikoth stated calmly. "And as far as honor... What part of this endeavor has been honorable? Working with the Vulture, a known enforcer and killer for the Night Masks? Colluding with the Lord of the Crypt? Are either of those honorable in your opinion?"

The wizard stared at the Ranger for a moment before continuing, "Again, as I have asked Lloria, do you have someone else that could be implicated that holds a modicum of credibility? Also, consider that if the vampires knew of any Harpers in Westgate and understanding that they would oppose their attempt to control this city, do you not think they would have eliminated them prior to getting this letter?"