Conversation at the Giant's Folly, Tarsah 5, Late Evening

Moderator:Carlo

Tribunal
Experienced User
Conversation at the Giant's Folly, Tarsah 5, Late Evening

Post by Tribunal » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:12 pm

(( Posting this up so we can continue the conversation at the table in the Giant's Folly that was taking place when the session ended ))

Lloria sat at the table in the Giant's Folly with the others. She had chosen her seat so that she was across the hall from the main entrance and facing it. Her halberd had been set aside that it rested at her right-hand side against the table and within easy reach. Her helmet was still on and she scanned the hall while she conversed.
"We may fight for a living, but that makes a person a sellsword, not a 'killer'. A true 'killer' is someone, or something, that kills because of what its nature is. A vampire. A rabid troll. The delusional random slasher. I fight because I have principles and I seek to make a difference in the world."

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Re: Conversation at the Giant's Folly, Tarsah 5, Late Evening

Post by smartalec » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:22 am

Dermot nods, and hmms at what Lloria says. He furrows his brow in thought. "I'm with you, I think." He shrugs, looking to Rosten grimly. "When the swords come out, it's to save something, not break something. It's just that... sometimes you run up against someone who don't give you a choice. Sometimes it's some monster, but sometimes it ain't, sometimes it's someone who's more similar'n you than they are different."

He takes a swig of his drink, and sets down the flagon, fiddling with a ring on his hand, looking thoughtful. "You gotta think about what you're doing, what it means. We're all part of this old world, right? One big old world, they're a bit of it, you're a bit of it... so if you kill something, you're taking stuff out of the world, right? You're kinda... you're kinda lessening yourself, by doing it. You know?"

He frowns, thinking his words through... seemingly unsure if he's making sense.

Face
Experienced User

Re: Conversation at the Giant's Folly, Tarsah 5, Late Evening

Post by Face » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:37 pm

The sullen hin eyed Lloria and Dermot as they spoke. He looked unimpressed with their reasoning, though in truth his yellowed eyes and haggard face tended to look unimpressed even at the best of times. He kept his hand curled around the bottle of spirits in front of him, his fingers ending in jagged filthy fingernails. As Dermot finished, he brought the bottle up to his lips and drank for a long moment before setting it back down and speaking.

"Can tell yourself whatever you want, mates. Way I see it, ain't a man alive that truly knows why he does what he does. All of us is damned to want things, to *need* things. You want your principles and to 'make a difference.' The ranger wants to save things, feel a part o' the world. I want my coin an' my drink an' my freedom. And we trade blood for these things."

"I suppose it ain't the killin' I'm gettin' at. Afore I were a seaman I were a butcher, on the isle of Kelthann. We three here an' now just happen to be in the business o' tradin' blood for coin. We could be farmers or merchants or barmaids, wouldn't make a jot o' difference now, would it."

The hin took another long drink, his yellowed eyes ranging around the tavern bitterly.

"Ain't a thing in this filthy damned bastard of a world that's worth what it takes from you. But there ain't no choice in the matter neither. You want what you want, and that's the end of it. It'll drive you on until it's taken everythin'. Well, damn it to the depths, let's see what we can take back in return! I like drinkin', fightin', singin' an' coin. S'enough to keep me distracted, so it is."

His yellowed eyes turn to Dermot and his face split into a brown-and-yellow-toothed grin.

"And as for "lessening yourself" by killin'...well...ain't much left o' myself to be lessenin', so says I."

Once more the bottle was returned to the piratical hin's lips, and he drank greedily.