Project Eternity

Moderator:Carlo

Carlo
Forum God
Project Eternity

Post by Carlo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:13 am

Project Eternity Kickstarter site: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obs ... t-eternity

Obsidian is finally going to have the chance to do another CRPG the right way, without EA or whoever making them publish it prematurely (KOTOR 2) or just for $$ (IWD 2).

I'm toying with the idea of contributing an NPC from the Westgate Campaign. Any votes as to which one you might like to see in the game?

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Re: Project Eternity

Post by Gulfwulf » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:21 pm

I'm waiting to see what they can do without a hard and fast deadline or lack of publisher support for patches after release. I wish them luck because they are a talented band of game developers, but their track record isn't exactly stellar when it comes to releasing bug free games.

Carlo
Forum God

Post by Carlo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:09 am

They've done a great job when they don't have a publisher (EA, Atari) forcing their product out the door too quickly for financial reasons. NWN2 would have been great if it had come out 6 months later, rather than a huge disappointment for builders and an occasional headache for players; I didn't even bother playing it until patch 1.10 because of the performance and toolset issues (no undo function, for chrissake). After that it was essentially fine - eventually I actually enjoyed building more in NWN2 and found it easier in key respects, especially in scripting - but it was too late to build a lasting NWN-style multiplayer community around it. After enjoying KOTOR, I didn't even bother with KOTOR 2 after reading the reviews that essentially said the first (completed) half was great, but that the rush job to finish it off left a lot of things hanging. Bioware is unfortunately not exactly immune to that, these days (I refuse to buy Mass Effect 3).

Going back to the Planescape: Torment and the first Icewind Dale (i.e. Infinity Engine) roots is what the new project is all about and where Obsidian truly shined in the past. I still can't believe PS:T actually got released, it's just too damn intelligent and mature for the perceived "mass market" - but is selling really well now over at GOG.com.

On a related note, I was skeptical of Dragon Age, but when I eventually got the ultimate edition I was heartily impressed. It proved that you don't need to have the D&D license to do an outstanding fantasy game that delivers a D&D-type experience. (I refused to buy Dragon Age 2, however, due to the poor reviews reflecting key changes in gameplay, along with the obvious cut corners like repeated reuse of areas.) The new world that Project Eternity is set in looks to be similarly attractive, with both familiar elements and some interesting new twists at both a fundamental and surface level.

It's early days, but Kickstarter as a funding mechanism looks like it may actually save PC gaming, or at least a corner of it, for serious gamers. Creative freedom and not being beholden to paymasters is what gaming developers have always needed, but only infrequently gotten. Combine that with the ability to sell via direct download on various sites and not having to compete for shelf space to make a profit, and PC gaming is undergoing a bit of a renaissance now (see Torchlight 2, FTL: Faster Than Light, lots of independent adventure games, etc.)

Gulfwulf
Forum God

Post by Gulfwulf » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:16 pm

I was impressed by ME 3 after the extended cut was released (it's free to anybody who bought an original copy of the game). Before that, the endings left me a bit flat, but the EC expanded on them and added a new one (you can refuse to do anything). Your mileage may vary, but if you enjoyed the previous two, I highly recommend the third one.

I wasn't as impressed with Dragon Age 2. I didn't like the combat, there were repeated areas, and the DLCs haven't impressed me enough to buy more yet. I did find a mod that allows you to outfit your companions so I may grab a DLC or two I've been looking at and try it again. I may just wait to see how #3 turns out.

I didn't get NWN 2 until the platinum edition came out and while I liked it, I can't see doing much with it, because as you said, the community just isn't there (or doesn't seem to be). That and being forced to take certain NPCs along on certain missions was annoying to say the least. I hope PE turns out great, but I'm going to wait for the reviews before I buy it.

Jaokith
Veteran Poster

Post by Jaokith » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:02 pm

Wow... that is really cool.

I like that they're going for a rated M game. Thinking I may like to donate... really appreciate the work that group has done with previous games.

Hrm... NPCs from Westgate... jeez narrowed down to one I can't do but any from the following list I'd be good with:

Gonzo - Confused, lonely juvenile red dragon that thinks his father died due to a terrible case of were-gnome lycanthropy.

The Vulture - Refined, mysterious, intelligent Night Mask killer/cleaner whose name brings fear to those who know him and hear it mentioned

Jamal - Aerikoth doesn't care for her, but a witty street performer/harper that likes to annoy the bad guys in power

Dee Dee/Melissa - desired to better her lot in life by joining the wrong crowd, switched sides to help us but then got screwed or maybe is better off now... who knows? But interesting story.

I'm sure there are others but those are the ones I'm thinking of off the top of my head.

Carlo
Forum God

Post by Carlo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Thanks for the list, certainly some of my favorites.

Unfortunately Jamal is a WotC-origin character, so won't be able to pony her up.

I'm not sure I could explain Gonzo to the good folks at Obsidian, heh. His opening line is still my favorite, though. "Wait! Don't leave just yet! Are you weregnomes too?"

The Vulture and Melissa/DeeDee are now on my list to consider.

Carlo
Forum God

Post by Carlo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:23 am

The PE project is now live and funded. As I mentioned in-game, I'll base my decision on an NPC contribution from your lists. So far Jaokith has the monopoly on official suggestions, but I will keep this topic open until I receive the NPC sheet from Obsidian to fill out.

Carlo
Forum God

Post by Carlo » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:41 am

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/62293- ... tory-zone/

An interesting look at what kind of thought is put into an RPG's story. The same basic questions also need to get answered in any D&D campaign (like this one).

Carlo
Forum God

Post by Carlo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:03 pm

The "Pillars of Eternity" (the final name for the project) site is now up - https://eternity.obsidian.net - so based on Jaokith's submitted list above, I've selected The Vulture to be the in-game NPC. To all who know him, this should be a treat. To those who don't know him from the campaign, perhaps you don't really want to.

Also, 5 extra downloadable copies of the game come with my backer pledge. So doing the math, that means all current Westgate players will receive one when the game is released sometime in 2014.

Jaokith
Veteran Poster

Post by Jaokith » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:16 pm

So, the Vulture will definitely be in the game, is what you're saying?