[UPDATED] New Player and NWN:EE conversion checklist - must do before entering mod

Moderator:Carlo

Carlo
Forum God
[UPDATED] New Player and NWN:EE conversion checklist - must do before entering mod

Post by Carlo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:21 pm

This checklist applies both to new players in the campaign and to all previous Westgate campaign players coming from the NWN Diamond version of the mod, which now requires NWN:Enhanced Edition. NWN:EE files and folders are located in different places than the old NWN install, so the required user files will need to be either copied over or freshly installed.

IMPORTANT: your game and data install location will depend on where you got NWN:EE from. In other words, Steam, GoG and Beamdog installs will all have different folder structures. If you are having trouble finding your data folders, you can always Google it in the form of a question (e.g. "Where is the NWN:EE hak folder for a Beamdog install?"), or look at the following helpful discussion topic: https://steamcommunity.com/app/704450/d ... 877702940/

The short answer is that your NWN:EE user data files should be found somewhere under your user name in the Documents folder, for example on my GoG install it's C:\Users\Carlo One\Documents\Neverwinter Nights.

HAK INSTALLATION:

1) Download CEP 2.65 and install it. (If you have a Steam NWN:EE install, then you can use the Steam Workshop to subscribe to CEP and auto-install it, but it's about a 6GB download versus 1GB for the above-linked 7-zip file.) If you download the 7-zip file, you can then unzip all the CEP files into your NWN:EE Neverwinter Nights user data folder per above. What is actually necessary is to place all CEP 2.65 hak files in your NWN:EE hak directory and paste the "tlk" folder into the base user data folder (which by default may not have a "tlk" subfolder). The other files included with CEP are builder tools and not necessary for the client side.

2) Download the Lord of Worms' Fantasy Interiors tileset (wrm_FantasyInt.7z) and unzip the hak file into your install's hak folder, similar to the above.

CHARACTER CREATION / TRANSFER

3) Please provide me the NWN:EE player name you are using, so I can create a folder with that name in the server vault and transfer your PC's .bic file there.

4) BIC file creation - see below:

-- Previous players - I've copied the server vault over from the last campaign gameplay session (July 2018), so that has the necessary .bic files. If you are using a custom portrait, though, please provide me the files (or remind me of the filenames) and I'll put up a download link for them for the new players.

-- New players - download the PGC3 character creation mod (either the CEP or vanilla version, take your pick) and place it in your user data "modules" subfolder. This is what you'll actually use to generate your PC. Feel free to play around with the customization features as much as you like; remember that new PCs are level 9 and will receive the module's default starting gold for that level, although additional customization is possible based on negotiation with the DM. After you have saved the the final version of your PC, you'll send me the ".bic" file with the PC's name on it from your "localvault" data folder, for review and placement in the server vault.

[EDIT] Please also provide me any custom portrait files, and I'll make them available for download by the other players.

----------------------------------------------------------

Please note that for each session, I'll post the server IP address on the campaign forum shortly before starting time, so you can direct connect; it should also appear in Gamespy as "Carlo's Server". The player password will be PM'd to each player (no change for previous players).

For those who are trying NWN:EE multiplayer for the first time, please note that it may prompt you to enter a cd key. For GoG, you can find it (listed as your copy of NWN:EE's serial key) in your online GoG.com library (using a web browser) under the game's "More" menu.

Each campaign session begins and ends in the "Campaign Chamber", which is an OOC area where we can talk about technical issues, set the scene for that day's session, ask the DM questions, exchange witty banter, etc.

That covers everything I can think of, but please go ahead and post any questions or clarifications that might be needed before gametime.

Carlo
Forum God

Re: New Player and NWN:EE conversion checklist - must do before entering mod

Post by Carlo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:41 am

Have updated the above. Both new AND previous players will have to tell me their NWN:EE player name, so I can place the bic files in the correct server vault folders.

Carlo
Forum God

Re: [UPDATED] New Player and NWN:EE conversion checklist - must do before entering mod

Post by Carlo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:18 am

Although it's not a technical requirement, new players especially should benefit from seeing this new post on roleplay conventions and in-game mechanics for the campaign:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=992

Carlo
Forum God

Re: [UPDATED] New Player and NWN:EE conversion checklist - must do before entering mod

Post by Carlo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:58 pm

A reminder for everyone about this.

For those who haven't yet, also don't forget to register at https://neverwinterconnections.org/ and change your profile's time zone so the game calendar will show properly for you.