Site updated to allow NWN2: Storm of Zehir input

A place to discuss news stories from the front page.
Venture
Site Admin
Site updated to allow NWN2: Storm of Zehir input

Post by Venture » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:12 am

Storm of Zehir, the second expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2, has been released in North America (although it is not in all stores yet). Accordingly, this site has been updated to allow users to choose Storm of Zehir (SoZ) as one of the products they own. If you are listing a campaign, you can also list Storm of Zehir as one of the expansions required, if that is the case.

ocanthus
Newbie Poster

Re: Site updated to allow NWN2: Storm of Zehir input

Post by ocanthus » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:29 pm

So far, so good. I'm just at the beginning of the Overland Map. I have big hopes that it will be cool.

In related news, I'm conducting a test tomorrow evening (8PM Central) of Tomb of Horrors Revisited with the Storm of Zehir expansion pack to see if anything got broken. If you have the time and the expansion, feel free to join.

Gamespy category: Team
Server name: BMProductions
No password will be needed.

Dane Bramage
Expert Poster

Post by Dane Bramage » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:21 pm

my copy is on it's way... so please no spoilers.

good luck with your test ocanthus.

ocanthus
Newbie Poster

Post by ocanthus » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:04 pm

We tested the basics with Tomb of Horrors and found no new bugs (yay!).

I'm also having a good time with SoZ in general. I like the party system, I like the overland map, and I like the general tone. The Bioware forums are full of flamers who aren't enjoying it at all, but I think most of those folks had certain expectations that weren't fulfilled. A few of the negative reviews seem to have come from people who blazed through the expansion at warp 10 and didn't stop to smell the belladona.

My recommendation for SoZ: buy it, play it, mod with it.

Dane Bramage
Expert Poster

Post by Dane Bramage » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:23 am

bioware forums is full of flamers regardless. that's why i don't go there.

my copy just arrived today. as soon as i finish Crysis, i'll be playing it. be outta town for the holiday, but next week, i'll hit it full force.

regarding the overland map, tho. from the book, it sounds like only the party leaders skills are taken into account when doing spot/survival/search, etc checks. doesn't that make it so that your main character should be a ranger? i mean... if that is true and you want to take full advantage of the Overland map, then that only make sense. what is your take on that? what is your party make up?

NWN DM

Post by NWN DM » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:07 am

You can change who your designated leader is before you transition to the OM, or once you're there. :)

Dane Bramage
Expert Poster

Post by Dane Bramage » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:37 pm

really? that's interesting. they certainly don't allude to that in any of the interviews or reviews i have read. that's cool then. i was thinking of playing a gray orc cleric/ranger, but now... i don't know. i'll have to think on it.

ocanthus
Newbie Poster

Post by ocanthus » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:03 pm

what is your take on that? what is your party make up?
You can pick the leader pretty much any time. It really is a cool system.

My party in the multi-player game consists of a human warlock, a yuan-ti pureblood ranger, a halfling rogue, and a half-orc barbarian.

I'm also starting a single-player run using an elf cleric, a dwarf fighter, a human rogue, and a half-elf wizard. But since I almost never play this game in single-player mode, it'll probably take me a year to get through it.

Dane Bramage
Expert Poster

Post by Dane Bramage » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:26 pm

So... how is the MP then? I was thinking SP only. Mainly because so many CRPGs tend to be focused on one character... the main character... as central to the plot, I never play the box campaigns in MP. Is this one different than that? You know... like NWN2's main campaign, if you weren't the shard bearer then you were an over glorified NPC. Not fun in MP IMO, tho great fun in SP.

So... is SoZ different than that?

Venture
Site Admin

Post by Venture » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:47 pm

The story isn't the main thrust of this one, so I imagine multiplayer might be a bit easier. There's no "chosen one" type story like MotB, but more a less-important story wrapped around lots of small quests. I'd be curious as to how the new party conversation system works in multiplayer (does it give everyone the option to chime in?). Grinning Fool has a post in the Bio forums about how the overland map works in multiplayer.

I'm digging it so far. Those who are wanting something like MotB will be disappointed, though, as the story isn't the point. I guess the way I'd describe it is that this feels more like a game than a story, if that makes sense. You can pretty much just go off and start exploring.

Now, I'm only a 2 or 3 hours into the game, so things could change.