Heroes of the Peloponnese Game Thread #3

Moderator:Lazybones

Lazybones
Forum God
Re: Heroes of the Peloponnese Game Thread #3

Post by Lazybones » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:20 am

Just checking in, remember no session this week.

Building on X-COM: Aliens is going well, I'll post the Player Guide in a few weeks so folks can start thinking about their character concepts.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:02 pm

This was what she'd wanted for so long. That chance to prove her worthy of something other than hearth and home. To stand alongside, if not above all, men-folk and show what she was worth. To prove her mother's parents wrong, and her mother's choices right. To fight as a champion in the arena, on her own merit, and even if not to win to show that it could be worth while.

"So why is it that I feel so nervous?" Kataramene asked herself quietly. "And why does it feel like something is wrong?"

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:23 pm

Argos: Ghosts of the Arena.

For once Andreas was about to see the arena and the fighters from above surrounded by the crowd. He was about to watch the games without getting involved in any way in the training or facing anybody down there where the sand was hot and sometimes sticky with the blood of the contestants.

All he had to do was relax and watch hoping that he friends would do good and not hurt themselves too badly.

Still, he somehow hoped that may be something could go wrong and if creatures of other worlds were to appear out of nowhere it would be his duty to jump in and smash some skulls. Unless they were another type of slimes with no bones or head.

"If I am going to sit tight and watch you fight, I need enough wine to last until the end. I think I will take a small barrel with me."

Shadani
Extreme Poster

Post by Shadani » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:37 pm

"Perhaps you should ask the managers of the arena if they are willing to give the current Champion a place of honor, and refreshments to go with it?" Eleni said, smiling. "Though if by any chance they do call upon you to display your skills, it would probably be best if you do not come across as a drunken lout."

Eleni had spent most of the previous night by the fire, at long last finding the time to catch up on her reading. There was so much she had wanted to do; so many things she had wanted to discover. Her notes on the artifacts and arts used by the Immortal King were very near the top of her list - particularly, the notion of being able to travel between different worlds.

Sadly, she had come little closer to comprehending these things, after so many years. She wondered if she ever would. But she knew that kind of thinking was no reason to stop trying.

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Post by smartalec » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:07 pm

"I'm sure it's fine," Pol insisted to Kataramene. "You've got this, it's going to be fine."

He pauses for a moment, before looking keenly at the woman. He takes her hand, and waits until she's looking at him before he speaks. "You know what I love about you? You try so hard. You're intense. Everything you do, you take it dead serious and you don't shoot for anything but being the best. I feel it from you in everything. Your fighting, the way you look, the way you love."

He moves closer, voice hushing a little. "But I know you do it at least a little because you're angry, or afraid... 'cos you don't want to be passed over. You want to be the best fighter so people'll treat you with respect. You try to look great - not that you need to - so you'll get the admiration due. You love me so hard because you think you'll lose me if you don't." He looks back into her eyes, serious. "You're afraid of going out there and being laughed at."

"I want you to understand this, okay?" His thumb strokes her hand as he speaks. "You've proved yourself a hundred times over. I'll love you more than any other til the day I die. And I know that win or lose today, it doesn't matter. You're going to do something amazing that no-one will forget, and you'll do it because it's just what you do."

RogueZair
Experienced User

Post by RogueZair » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:15 pm

Zokos spent the afternoon and evening in prayer, breaking only enough for a sparse meal and a swim in the ocean. He was clearly troubled, but he uncharacteristically avoided conversation with his new friends.

That night he slept restlessly. His dreams were of his ship sailing in rock filled waters, the winds were erratic and unpredictable, and his crew argued amongst themselves ignoring his shouted orders.

He woke with little guidance, but resolved to stay the course he had always championed. You could not sail a ship alone, and only a fool worked against ones own crew. After yet another fervent prayer to Poseidon for nothing, only a litany of praise for the God of the Seas, Zokos went to find Kataramene.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:18 pm

Looking just a little lost for words, Kataramene seems to decide not to use any as a result. She simply smiles, face alight with warmth, and kisses Pol's cheek.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:19 pm

((Server is up. Same connection details I believe. Had trouble in the week, though, so watching here.))

Topato
Extreme Poster

Post by Topato » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:25 pm

"It's a fine day for it. A good games will set the reputation for our school, and the final bout will decide the future of the city. Here's hoping the Gods are pleased with the manner we've chosen to make this decision"

Karvon
Forum God

Post by Karvon » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:26 pm

Leonaidas doubted whether a trial by combat would land the city with the best patron, but if that's what they wanted to do, then who was he to quibble? He personally thought Poseidon was the most logical choice, given the city's maritime trade and coastal location. While he was a worshipper of Hermes as well, he hadn't cared at all for the priest representing him, and certainly felt the priestess of Artemis was likewise a poor option for a religious leader of the community. He wondered who would end up serving as champions for each contestant.

Return to “Saturday Forgotten Realms Campaign”