The Dragon's Village 2017

Moderator:Lazybones

Karvon
Forum God
Re: The Dragon's Village 2017

Post by Karvon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:35 am

//

First, sorry if I missed the emoting of gold being shown rather than being left on the ground. I normally don't just grab stuff unless it's been left lying around for a bit and not picked up by anyone else. The simplest solution IMHO in such cases is for the player to send a tell to straighten out such situations. I'll go ahead and return it next session.

Second, I'm happy to work with whatever methods the party wishes to adopt for collecting stuff from chests and such. I normally check and pick up stuff only if others haven't done so, or if I'm operating solo in an area. I normally pass on stuff picked up to those in the party I think would best benefit from it. Even when I play merc/rogue characters I don't loot and keep everything for myself, though it might be in character, for reasons already outlined by others above.

Third, I often scavenge the field after others have finished picking over things, and pick up mundane/lesser stuff left behind to sell later, if I have some spare space in my pack.

Fourth, I do strongly favor the frequent dividing and sharing of loot by equal share so players can save up, or buy things they want.

Shadani
Extreme Poster

Post by Shadani » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:37 am

Ning seemed, as was often the case, to be somewhere very far away. Listening, perhaps, to a conversation of a very different kind. Still, when Wen expressed his astonishment, she shook her head.

"The mortal heart is never free of want," she said, half-whispering. "The Dragon's tomb was sealed for a reason, all those years ago, and ever since, the people of this monastery - of my monastery - have thought it worth protecting. They may not even know precisely what lies within. Greed alone may well be our thief's sole shepherd. But if it is not, then we must assume that some greater malice is at work - that this is only one part of a most sinister plan."

((Unfortunately, we've had this style of problem for a while now. It's part of the reason, I think, why both Eleni and Nihmri got stuck playing the Party Bank - this feeling that some players are more prepared to share items and resources than others. I agree with the suggestion that a bit of metagaming is necessary when dealing with stuff like this - and by that, I mean people declaring what they've found, showing stuff to the group without fear of things getting snatched, not selling stuff that other players might find useful, and so on. Nobody wants to get shafted, and nobody wants to be seen as the bad guy who's hoarding stuff for themselves.

Either way, I'm glad we can have a civil conversation on the subject!))

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Post by smartalec » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:35 pm

((Don't worry about missing an emote, Karv, you didn't - I (dumbly) emoted putting it on the ground! I just started to feel a bit scared to do that again. ;)

Does anyone else feel that things had gotten a bit weird, as I say? That things have gotten a bit grabby, or tense? Or is it just me...))

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:32 pm

((SA clarified the position but I don't think a retcon is necessary. In the grand scheme of things the amount isn't important, it's more the acknowledgement that - as LB says - we can't stop working with a character who is going to act that way OOC so I personally find it a little frustrating when that isn't taken into account by players in how they manage such characters IC.

What Shad describes is a consequence of this IC/OOC blur. I never used to check corpses or chests at all when not a rogue but I do find myself doing it now as I have become concerned about parity of distribution. That came to the fore when playing the cleric who needed to purchase healing/raises for the group and I've found myself asking for things, rather than waiting for it to be offered, with Moriko who truthfully wouldn't care about any of it IC.

So yes. I can't put a finger on when it happened but I think we're back to a "Herman" situation, if anyone remembers the guy, and a lack of trust which I find uncomfortable with such a long running team.))

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:11 pm

Session 7

+300xp for Gojiro, Tenko Kitsune, Ning, Meng Wen, and Moriko for IC posting this week.

Alpha Omega
Newbie Poster

Post by Alpha Omega » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:16 am

Davis looked over his new companions, curious as to who they were ... what stories had taken them from their respective homes to travelling together.

*Probably a little late in the week to really run with this now - maybe following tomorrow's session folks could post discussing with me the history of the group and their travels to date. In the meantime, just so I can start getting oriented re who is who, would be cool if someone could ID for each player their respective character - names and, to the extent readily apparent, class.*

AO

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:49 am

((Unfortunately my character isn't going to make much sense in an IC post on their activities, so I'll leave that to someone else or in game if we get a chance, but as far as OOC goes -
Meng Wen is Smart Alec, human and just fighter I believe.
Gojiro is Karvon, human and a rogue/fighter.
Tenko Kitsune is Mirgalen, outwardly human, and a monk.
Tianlong is Topato, human and a monk/cleric.
Ning is Shadani, outwardly human and a cleric.
Moriko is me and appears human though very much smaller and fairer in colouring than you'd expect, plus all druid, so far at least.

Fast pick ups from appearances:
Ning has ICed enough to have a spirit connection, but if heritage is involved it may not apparent from appearance as her race is human.
Tenko Kitsune is half-elf race so has spirit folk heritage but there's nothing in his description to indicate it so Mirg will have to let you know if it's evident.
Master, the party leader (they all know it but some choose to dispute it) has the appearance of an elderly panda but has ICly disappeared (when I fail at playing poke-pet correctly) then come back before now - usually a bit irritably.
Moriko probably isn't fooling anyone re-being entirely human by now if they're halfway observant, but as he's an outsider it's up to you how you play that. Which reminds me .... ))

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:51 pm

((Server up 82.42.37.51:5121 and island))

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:25 am

ENTER THE DRAGON!

The group entered the tomb looking for invaders. They were a number of traps and animated guardians. It was difficult if not impossible for Tenko to deal with the later as for the former he never got to the point where "one of is kind" get trained in the art of dealing with locks and traps. Perhaps he was not too late.

Deeper in the tomb the group encountered a group of yakuzas/ninjas. It was fortunate that they were not from a powerful clan. If it had been the case, neither Tenko or any of his friends who have made it out alive. The invaders did not carry much equipment, only ninja-to and some shurikens. Tenko grabbed these. He had renounced using the infamous ninja blade but figured that they could be traded later. The shurikens could prove useful in particular in his trained hands.

// shurikens need to be identified

Deep in the tomb a honi appeared and mentioned a great peril that the realm would be facing soon and that heroes would have to rise to face the evil enemy...

Karvon
Forum God

Post by Karvon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:25 am

The party made their way to the tomb of the dragon, only to find evidence of others ahead of them - several bodies along the way as they moved deeper into the tomb itself. A number of animated statues and traps were encountered and overcome thru various means. Gojiro's eyes were sharp enough to note most of the traps, but a number proved too challenging for him to dismantle. He was able to at least mark them, so the others could more easily avoid them. Unfortunately, they were jumped by a ninja team and got a bit mauled, before dispatching the last of them. Gojiro worried perhaps one or more had actually faded into the shadows and might strike again later, but no further encounters occurred. On reaching the dragon's final resting place, his spirit appeared and granted them the gift of a rod of resurrection. While a powerful artifact, Gojiro had hoped his famed sword would be there in the tomb, but it was not. However, in the lesser tombs of retainers, he finally found a katana of decent quality, so was happy with that. The exit and return to the village itself were uneventful.

On their return they found the local leaders waiting. Though pleased by the reports of their success, they were ordered to head for the provincial capital and alert the governor there as to the events which had transpired in the area, and place themselves at the governor's disposal for dealing with the warned rise of shadows. Gojiro hoped the move would lead to some actual paid commission for a change.

Return to “Saturday Forgotten Realms Campaign”