NWN 1:EE

Moderator:Lazybones

Karvon
Forum God
NWN 1:EE

Post by Karvon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:30 am

After watching the latest beamdog livestream off o YouTube, I've decided to take the plunge and splurged for the preorder which gives access to the beta version being tested now. I should have some time next week to give it a little bit of testing.

A link if anyone is so inclined to do likewise....

https://www.beamdog.com/products/neverw ... ed-edition

Karvon

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Re: NWN 1:EE

Post by smartalec » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Ooo. Keep us updated, Karv!

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:06 pm

My main question is about backwards compatibility. The Web site you linked says this:
Backwards Compatibility: Works with save games, modules, and mods from the original Neverwinter Nights. A galaxy of community created content awaits.
If it will run all of my existing modules with their current haks, then no problem.

If it requires all players to upgrade in order to play together that's another issue.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:36 am

From what I am gathering that works fine for single player, and will allow us to use the old modules and haks perfectly well without any problem, but while it's reverse compatible from what I am reading it doesn't seem to be forward compatible.

It appears that if you save the module in the EE version of the toolset it will then no longer be accessible to those with the vanilla version. There's talk about some work around where you hack into the module to set it's patch level (old being 1.69 and I think new being 1.71) then older versions of the game can use it, but that seems overly complicated to me.

For multiplayer in the very least that implies the builder and host have to be on the same version of the game and produce modules with the older toolset for everyone to access them. That's achievable if it works and we can certainly test it, but it may mean new features are less useful or don't function.

The thing that may throw a spanner in the works there is I'm also gleaning that for multiplayer it may work the same way as when you used to patch NWN all those years ago, in that everyone has to have at least the same version as the host, but I can't remember if it was possible to play on an unpatched server with an unpatched game. So while I'm not 100% certain I think that may mean we will all need to upgrade if I do but you may all be able to connect if I don't. If Karv has the new version then perhaps we can test that?

... there's a lot of "mays" in there and at the moment I think that's the problem. As Moriko would say, we don't know.

Karvon
Forum God

Post by Karvon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:13 am

From the various threads I've read, it will be like it was with the NWN patches, everyone needs to be on the same one in order to play together MP. So, everyone would need to upgrade to EE, if that is what was going to be used. This has some in the PW community up in arms, as one PW developer/coder, has apparently modded his server sw to allow EE and NWN to play together. The response from Beamdog is that while that may work for now, as EE is further developed it may not work in the future and they don't have the intention/resources to ensure it does.

In short, everyone will need to upgrade to EE if that is the version you wish to use in MP.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:49 pm

In other news I have discovered there is a big problem with some tilesets in that they contain a model structure that crashes EE if you attempt to include it. EE have labelled the problem a bug in those tilesets caused by the software used to export them for NWN, which does appear to be correct in fairness, and therefore won't account for it.

The ones where this has come to light that affect us so far are Chandigar ones, two of which are in the D20 Modern haks and two more used extensively, plus I know LB has made use of them in the past - I remember the Aztec ones being used. And that's just the ones identified that I know about.

As I have to check every tileset model the upshot is I'm not able to update even if I want to until all possible bugs in the tileset are corrected, which is not going to be quickly.

Karvon
Forum God

Post by Karvon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:43 am

Beamdog's having a sale on NWN EE which looks like it'll be running about another 10 days; 3 dollars off normal price.

One big thing I like is camera is now unlockable in the game itself, so no need of a hak to do that anymore.

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:35 am

I am interesting in hearing more about the experience you guys have had with the EE so far.

My current inclination is to buy EE and install it on my new computer (I keep my current install on my older one), maybe during the Steam Winter Sale when they inevitably offer good discounts. I was thinking about my next campaign after X-COM 2 being a "back to basics" D&D custom setting so that would be a good time to switch over. Naturally it would require all of you to be on board with the change so I'm tossing it out there as an idea.

My current estimate is that Assault on Aldera will take us into January or February 2019. X-COM 2 looks like it will be good for about six months of play, so the transition would happen some time around summer of next year. I'm about 60% done with building X-COM 2 so I won't be ready to start working on the next campaign for a few months yet.

Karvon
Forum God

Post by Karvon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:32 am

I*ve (re)played half a dozen or so modules using EE and been happy with it. With uni in full swing again, I don't have much time for gaming, so haven't played around with it much lately. I suggest you visit beamdog's website as you can read the patch notes for EE and see what all they've done to spruce up the game.

Karvon

Klasa
Expert Poster

Post by Klasa » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:23 am

I own it, although I haven't messed around with it much. I also haven't read much about it either, but I have heard that they are attempting to make it so you can easily change hardcoded aspects of the game. That does intrigue me a lot if they can do it.

Return to “Saturday Forgotten Realms Campaign”