Re: The Dragon's Village 2017

Post by Lazybones » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Session 38

EDIT: Make that +1500xp for everyone.

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Post by smartalec » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:47 pm

"It is the way of things, to return," offered Wen. "These items, divided, would find their way back to the hand that broke them. So it was, with the swords of the great metalworker; and so it was with the herbseller of Jinsha. So it will be here." Wen thinks. "It is said my many sages that the soft overcomes the hard... we will put that to the test against these men of earth, stone and wood, I think. We will put it to the test, at their heart."

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:18 pm

((Server is up, usual details.))

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:19 am

After a good night sleep the Dragons found themselves at their usual table at the inn taking a last meal before going again to face their destiny.
As usual the food was good and the conversation was light. Tenko asked what the others would do "after" assuming there was an after nobody had a clear answer and he decided not to tell yet what his plans were.

Before leaving the city they visited the smith who had finished the enchanted kama. Tenko was happy to receive such a potent weapon. He gave his ice kama to his brother monk.

Once in the wilderness they battled a few creatures but nothing too difficult to tackle.

Shadani
Extreme Poster

Post by Shadani » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:44 am

The forest was ancient. The weight of its years threatened to suffocate her; to crush her in its depth. It made her think of the river. Of drowning.

She was stronger, now, than she had been, and so she did not allow herself to become overwhelmed. Instead, she listened, and learned. There were many stories here, enough that it would take her a lifetime to learn them all. Time that she did not have.

"There is a thorn at the heart of this place," she said. "I wonder how long it has been here. How long it might remain."

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:49 am

"A rose tree has thorns!" Moriko answered, unshakeably cheery since they had rescued the Kirin and none the less so for the oppressive seeming atmosphere of the surrounding forest. "And the quince and the sanzashi. They are pretty and useful!"

"A thorn doesn't hurt a tree, it is there to stop creatures being silly," she continued amiably enough as the group moved along. "They say 'Be careful!'. Creatures who know see them for what they are and don't go near them, and if they don't know they learn." She nodded her blonde head in reassuringly but then frowned as Master rumbled briefly.

"Yes, that is true," Moriko said as if in response. "If they don't see thorns for what they are and grasp too hard without thinking the thorn sticks in. And when it sticks in sometimes they pull it out and go, 'Ouch!' Then they clean it and everything is better. But if they don't do that ...." Her tone grew grave. "The thorn doesn't change but they do. Inside they try to say 'Go away thorn!. Then around the thorn they go red and angry and then green and weepy, and that can go all the way through them and they die from the inside out."

She looked solemnly ahead into the depths of the forest.

"All because they didn't learn about thorns."

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Post by smartalec » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:09 pm

Wen listens to all this, looking along the edge of his sword as he cleans it. He nods at Moriko's story. "Thorns. There is something to that. Creatures see them. I think I understand."

He goes still for a moment, and looks up, eyes wide. "I... understand. I see the Eternal Truth of the Swordsman™."

"At first I thought, I realised, there was no such thing as a 'stance'. Or a 'strike'. All was part of the whole, and all the styles, the seventeen forms, the seven grips, and the fourteen stances, are part of a whole, none meant to be considered alone. And that focusing on each one as I performed it was holding me back."

"But now I see why," he says, thoughtful. "Because all - walking, speaking, fighting - is all moving through space, and the key to this is to move in the correct way, no matter what is around you. Not just to move with the Way - but to surge forward, to a place where the light and the shade have not yet come together, and act. It's all a state of mind, me, this sword." He smiles at nothing. "The Eternal Truth is that there is no such thing as a fight."

He chuckles. "I've spent half my life thinking I was doing one thing but in fact doing another. And yet I am not upset." He nods, firmly. "I am ready for an end, now."

Topato
Extreme Poster

Post by Topato » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:22 pm

Sorry guys, I can't make it tomorrow, gotta do stuff with the gf.

Karvon
Forum God

Post by Karvon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:21 pm

The initial foray into the Eternal Forest resulted in a few encounters with the local wildlife, but nothing which the group couldn't handle. Gojiro listened in silence as the others discussed wide ranging philosophies and rationales for life. None of it appealed to him and he wondered how others could find solace in such. He had his weapons and armor he relied on and the gold he'd accumulated as rewards; he wondered if that really was enough?

Klasa
Expert Poster

Post by Klasa » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:25 pm

Truly, things appeared to be heading towards not only a climax but also the end of the line. The majority of the group had begun and continued to talk about the end of their journeys ever since they learned of the location of the thief. Even Moriko was making more sense and acting less erratic than she usually did. Perhaps this was to be the actual end of the journey for the Dragon Warriors as a group.

As for himself, Huo Da fully intended on returning to his training and studying under his Master. Huo still had much to learn from him after all, and admittingly he wasn't quite doing this adventuring because he truly wanted to. It was more of multiple situations where while outwardly it appeared he had the option of saying yes or not, but in actuality due to social standing and ranking he in reality had no choice but to agree.

Though he can't deny that these adventures weren't for good causes. Nor could he deny that he had advanced in knowledge and power much quicker thanks to the experiences either. Either way though, he will be glad to return to a slower paced lifestyle of study and practice again.

Return to “Saturday Forgotten Realms Campaign”