Assault on Aldera Campaign

Moderator:Lazybones

smartalec
Extreme Poster
Re: Assault on Aldera Campaign

Post by smartalec » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:31 pm

"Like a game of Sava," smirked Zau'lann. "Step away from strength. Attack the weak. Create your own opprtunities. Just one thing." The drow wizard tilts his head, raising a finger in the manner of a lecturer. "Are we certain that they will send help from the mine? If that's our goal, then that's the thing we need to make sure of..."

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:56 pm

Session 19

Full-posting bonus.

+750xp for Rogha, Zau'lann, Vot, and Tian'ith
+1125xp for Darsin
+1500xp for Miiq

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:27 pm

"A good question," Tian'ith remarked, having nodded thoughtfully in response to all comments, "but we cannot know until we test it." She nodded firmly.

"As Vot believed he can guide us my mind is inclined towards sewing the seeds of their destruction and spreading chaos by planting the eggs," she nodded at Darsin and Ravillion, then looked at Miiq. "As yes, while the mine is the source of our trouble and main target, it does sound hard to reach. Disrupting their bases elsewhere could make it seem less of a target and may," she looked at Zau'lann, "may, draw defenders away." She looked around the group.

"Any dissent?"

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:04 pm

((Server is up.))

Ayram
Veteran Poster

Post by Ayram » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:21 pm

The lost little lamb, it turned out, was pretty tasty despite being a little thin. Some braising, a little mint crusting, and rosemary for the potatoes really helped. Simple but elegant, and hearty.

It was a little annoying to have to adjust for the drow and their day sensitivity, but the meal passed a lot of time. And Vot got to eat it while on his watch shift, observing for whether or not the humans would discover their handiwork up in the mines early. If they sent out someone to check on the miners, the crew would have to kill whoever was sent.

Obviously their finding out would be inevitable, and the crew actually WANTED them to... just not so early as now. When they did find the miners slaughtered they'd go into high alert and make the crew's job that much harder. If only the drow could handle a little stupid sunlight they could have taken care of the whole thing hours ago.

Not that there wasn't something to say in favor of waiting aside from the drow being in top form. The mine they just hit was relatively easy work, but the night had still been exhausting and rest was welcome. Oh and the nice, free lamb was good and hearty, perfect for the wet-work sure to come later in the night.

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:25 am

The group went back to the mine. Rogha who did not sleep well was falling behind and had to catch up. Later they went back to hide in the cave to wait for dusk. It was a bit strange that drows with all their magic had not yet invented a thing or spell to be able to venture out under the sun. Wasn't there something like "daylight rings" or special cloaks and hoods just for that?

// Sorry about last week. Was visiting friend who told me he played Baldur's Gate and some PnP back in the days. Got home later than expected.

Was playing over wifi and lag monster ended up chasing me around. Are you all playing over LAN? If not, what could be the reason for such a poor/unreliable gameplay over wifi vs lan? Is there a way to fix/enhance my wifi settings to make it more nwn friendly?

Karvon
Forum God

Post by Karvon » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:52 am

The assault on the mines went far easier than Darsin imagined. There were minimal guards outside and the lower mining camp still lay in ruins. The group swept thru killing all in their path without much difficulty. In the lower bowels of the mine, insectoid eggs were deposited in hopes of future mayhem. To hopefully mask the group's identity, the corpses were mangled by the two pet warrior bugs after each encounter. Darsin wasn't sure if that would really hide the facts from skilled trackers, but some confusion was better than nothing. The group retreated as dawn approached to rest up in a nearby cavern. He wondered how long their luck would hold?

//I play over wifi at home. There are utilities and websites you might try to check the quality of your connections and tweak your settings. It's been a while since I've done this, so I don't have any links offhand. If you do a google search, I'm sure you could turn up some though.

Shadani
Extreme Poster

Post by Shadani » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:12 pm

"The battle for the mine was pitiful," Miiq said, as his fangs tore into a haunch of lamb. He savoured the taste - the taste of victory. Victory, it turned out, tasted like rosemary. "Humans and dwarves were no match for us. Unprepared; weak."

"So tonight, we strike quick! Merciless! Silence from the mines will be noticed, but probably no time for reinforcements from south to arrive yet. Keep eye on roads during day if we can; intercept soldiers or messengers. Can only slow down surfacers so much, but every hour they have for preparing makes them stronger, yes?"

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:56 pm

It was her turn to watch and Tian'ith sat, as far back as possible while keeping it in view, squinting at the light that shone brightly into the mouth of the cave. The discomfort remained, to the point of being painful, but she endured it and at least the prospect of it was not so disconcerting as it had been. That was not so for the openness of the sky.

While something she could understand factually, the idea of there being nothing above them was something that remained difficult to fit into her psyche. Zau'lann assured her that she could become accustomed to it and the light eventually but though the light seemed to hurt a little less each time they encountered it she doubted she could ever become accustomed to the space.

Every journey has to begin with the first step," he had quoted. Beginnings? Important perhaps but any soldier knew the path and destination could change at any point, often without warning.

~~~

"True power lies in respect." Her statement had come after perhaps a little too much of a good wine as they played, or perhaps it was a symptom of understanding her position. Prompted by a comment concerning actions of those with power and the satisfaction therein. It had amused her. "If you have that then there is no need for ...petty displays." Zau'lann's brow had risen, this time in puzzlement, and on a whim she sought to explain. "Tell me, have you ever known anyone be prepared to die for another?"

After a short pause he replied. " ... only in stories."

"I have seen it," she continued. "Truly willing to lay their life down, not for a sense of duty to a House or because they demanded it, but truly and honestly because of the value they place on another."

"I admit, I've not spent much time around soldiers," he responded and peered at her, thoughtful.

"It exists," she insisted. "I saw it demonstrated, even on my behalf more than once. But I have not seen it within my family and I have never ..." Deciding the next words were too much she stopped and sipped her wine. He seemed curious now, she thought, but masking it well. Try to remember not to provide weapons in words.

"You've never felt it towards another...?" Perhaps a question best unanswered but she was feeling reckless and for some reason it suddenly seemed important that someone understood. That he understood.

"I have." She sipped again, not meeting his eyes and changed tack. "If a leader of men does not understand it then it is hard to lead well. The look he gave her was of vague disbelief.

"It could be argued that you're important, Mistress. It's on us to die for you." She gave a wry smile at his words.

"Really? I thought that would be more likely to mean you would die /because/ of me, not /for/ me." She chuckled softly and there was no hiding the hollowness in it's tone. "In fact, is that not where we both are now? "

It was impossible to tell if his frown was thoughtfulness or discomfort. This maybe a mistake.

"You may be right, Mistress. But if you are right, then the difference is respect, no?"

Tian'ith gave as non-committal a nod as she could. "That would seem to be the case to me."
He nodded in response and she had turned her attention back to the game as a close to the topic of conversation.

"I see." Zau'lann had responded after a few moments and he too returned to the game.

~~~

As the light outside lessened with she wondered if their path, their destination had changed again. Were they bound on a course that would send them closer the surface, even out into that world, for good? Not to this small, water enclosed bit of land but somewhere? As the light died to their darkness she went in search of a meal to accompany her internal food for thought.

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Post by smartalec » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:21 pm

Zau'lann raised an eyebrow. "Merciless we can manage. Quick, though? That's not usually our thing... if that's what you want, we'll have to really up our game."

"And of course they were no match for us," he went on. "I don't think any of them were actual fighters. And even then, this is an... island? On the water? How much danger can they really be used to by now? Vot's goblins? I should hope we're a cut above."

Return to “Saturday Forgotten Realms Campaign”