X-COM 2 - 2019 Campaign Thread

Moderator:Lazybones

Shadani
Extreme Poster
Re: X-COM 2 - 2019 Campaign Thread

Post by Shadani » Fri May 03, 2019 5:10 pm

"Careful only gets us so far," Jesse muttered as she sorted the stripped parts of one of the busted rifles they'd retrieved. "What are you supposed to do when the enemy's so far ahead, huh? When they've got spaceships and we're lucky to have guns with only a little bit of rust on 'em. Right now, we're just ants stealing crumbs from the kitchen. And that's easy enough to ignore, for a while. But how much can we really do with crumbs? How long can we live on 'em?"

She scratched her head; frowned. Wondering how that metaphor had gotten away from her so quickly.

"We're not going to get anywhere if we're just tiptoeing all over the place, is all I mean. Gotta know when to take our chances. No sense pretending we're ever safe."

((Repair is likewise at 11; trying to salvage/upgrade as much of the rifles as we can.))

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sat May 04, 2019 12:44 am

Session 7

+300xp for everyone for full-party IC posting this week.

Gun salvage: you are able to cannibalize the M4 rifles that you brought back from the mission, fashioning three working models out of the wreckage. The feed mechanisms still don't quite work right, so they will never be capable of fully automatic fire, but they're in much better shape than before. Now you just need to find ammunition for them. (Jesse Repair Roll 14+11, assisted by Daud and Stanley. Note that this assumes you have at least 6 of the wrecked guns, as you'll need at least two sets of parts to make one working rifle.)

Henderson is able to find enough parts to put a basic climbing kit together (Survival Roll 7+8), with a little help from Talia in her workshop (I set the DC at 15 so you hit it exactly).

Doctor Rosen responds well to Bo's treatment, and within a day is up and moving, albeit slowly. (Treat Injury Roll 17+9. I figured anything over a 20 would be a speedy recovery)

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat May 04, 2019 3:03 pm

((Server is up with the usual details))

Ayram
Veteran Poster

Post by Ayram » Sun May 05, 2019 6:51 am

Getting chased by a murderous, berserking bear is a unique kind of terror. Definitely nightmare fuel. Daud felt lucky to be alive for the umpteenth time in their series of wild assignments. If it hadn't been for a pretty lucky shot just a second before that bear got to him, he could be missing some of his face right now.

So he was barely processing things when the meeting with the mysterious contact went down. Whatever that thing she gave them had on it, Daud had a feeling it was going to change the status quo.

Before the meeting, he was doing pretty well with staying out of sight. He felt like he was getting a lot better at it actually. Those AIS guys had no idea he was right under their nose. Of course, he hadn't realized AIS had the ability to track radio. He'd have to remember that. Although it seemed like it was equipment in their vehicle instead of on their person, unlike ADVENT troopers, who apparently had access to it some other way...?

Anyway, gas was going to be a problem now. And he wasn't sure what they were going to do about it. It'd have to be the highest priority. They couldn't do anything if they didn't have the ability to actually go anywhere.

Karvon
Forum God

Post by Karvon » Tue May 07, 2019 8:26 am

The team drove out to a nearby park to meet a contact. However, near the rendezvous point they came across a security patrol and parked a bit back with the plan of slipping in on foot to scope out the situation discretely. Again, Stanley found himself in the driver's seat of the getaway car while most of the rest went forward. Again, he wasn't given a walkie talkie, so wasn't in direct contact with the foot patrol. Thus, he wasn't really sure what all happened, beyond hearing some shots and eventually the group coming back, some a bit battered. He did hear something about a mad bear though. At this rate, he decided he might need to brush his driving skills with some extra practice between missions. He wondered though if they had fuel to burn on such? Probably not. At the very least, he would give the SUV a complete inspection and tune-up in order to maximize performance and minimize unexpected breakdown.

//repair 12 craft mechanical 10 (I think)

Shadani
Extreme Poster

Post by Shadani » Thu May 09, 2019 10:06 pm

Shortly after the squad's meeting with the mysterious stranger, Jesse found herself tapping on Bo's shoulder. There was a frown on her face, making for an unpleasant collision with her burn scars.

"So, uh, I know this isn't really your kind of thing, but... ugh."

She sighed, rubbed her forehead, and started again, more forcefully this time.

"Basically, we're pretty much out of firepower right now. Damned bear ate most of my bullets. I don't know how much we've got left, exactly, but it ain't much. So I was thinking we could help Jeffords along, assuming, y'know, he's even... doing his job. I know scrap and stuff pretty well. Ain't that hard to make your own bullets, long as you've got the right kinda junk and long as they don't need to be pretty. And I figure, you know, being a doctor, that you probably know your way around a chemistry set and stuff, right? That's not really my thing, but I know the theory, at least, so, uh..."

Jesse ran a hand through her messy tangle of hair; shrugged.

"Y'know. Long as you don't think that would violate your, um, hippo-something oath, I mean. Figure this could be just as important when it comes to keeping us alive as the other stuff you do."

((Don't believe I've got Craft (Chemical), so I'm hoping to leverage scrappy knowledge to help forge/refine/craft junk into usable bits for ammo. Primers, bullet casings, good ol' fashioned lead. That kind of thing. Craft (Mechanical) and most other relevant skills are at +9. Hoping to supplement our allotment of ammo, if any.))

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Thu May 09, 2019 11:24 pm

The Lady and the Bear.

After a long night sleep JD joined the others around the breakfast table. The three new members (actually four if counting the dog) of the renegade outposts were doing fine surprisingly and the little girl did not seemed to be scared or anything.

Someone had made contact and requested a rendez-vous somewhere in the forest on the hillside. It sounded like a trap but what to do? So the team drove there to check it out. At first, it really looked like a trap. ADVENT guys were there already. Lucky not the "super-soldiers". Strangely they moved towards the hills and started shooting. That was odd. The team ended up going after the "ADVENTs" only to find them dead. Soon after a huge bear emerged and charged. The bear had killed the other guys and was now after us. It took a lot of bullets to get him down.

The group was ready to give up and return to base but decided to explore a bit more just in case. A friendly lady showed up and gave a thing that could have been a drive of some kind. She said it was encrypted...

Back at the base JD was feeling bored and frustrated. The others were doing things, fixing this, building that and what not while he was sitting on the sofa staring at a blank screen. If only he could get back some of his memory perhaps he could help. Else he would need to shadow the others and learn by watching them do stuff...

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Fri May 10, 2019 1:24 am

When Jesse expresses her interest in manufacturing ammunition, Cullen brings out a battered old crate that appears to be full of spent cartridges, bullet molds, broken magazines, and assorted parts of all shapes and sizes. None of it appears to be functional, and from the looks of it, some of the stuff would require a wizard to bring back to life.

"Here you go," the one-armed armorer says. "Knock yourselves out."

If anyone wants to join in the ammo-making party, just let me know either in a post or at the start of the game. Specify what caliber of ammo you'd like to try to make. The project requires both chemical and mechanical skills so if you can combine those your chance of success will be greater.

Ayram
Veteran Poster

Post by Ayram » Fri May 10, 2019 3:56 am

// Daud will contribute his craft mechanical +7 if it helps. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Karvon
Forum God

Post by Karvon » Fri May 10, 2019 7:04 am

Stanley can help with the ammo manufacturing, he's got both mechanical and chemical craft of 10 I think. What ever caliber folks feel is needed.