X-COM 2 - 2019 Campaign Thread

Moderator:Lazybones

Lazybones
Forum God
Re: X-COM 2 - 2019 Campaign Thread

Post by Lazybones » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:22 pm

Another message appears in your email inboxes.
Well, helping Mendoza might not have done much for the war against ADVENT, but at least we took out an enemy tactical team and gained a new research subject. Time will tell how useful the former priest ends up being in our efforts.

Research Projects
  • Magnetic Rifle. We can expand upon our success with the mag pistol and create a full-sized rifle that can project mag rounds with devastating speed and accuracy. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC10, MC8]
  • Shard Gun. The Shard Gun takes standard shotgun shells and superheats them in a magnetic ignition chamber. The result is a molten spray of burning death. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC10, MC8]
  • Gauss Weapons. With our mastery of ADVENT's core weapon technology, we can now develop specialized weapon systems using the alien technology to improve on power storage and consumption, projectile path fidelity, and penetrative force over greater distances. We may be able to develop a sniper rifle and cannon variant based on our newly learned Magnetic Weapons technology. [RC10]
  • Motion Scanner. This is an interesting idea from the Science Department, using particle displacement technology to develop a scanner that can detect enemy motion, even through solid objects. Doctor Tygen says that the scanner should work to about a hundred meters out. One prototype will be provided when the project is completed. [RC10, 3 points completed]
  • Improved Medikit. Doctor Ranma tells us that we can improve our basic medical kits to provide more effective battlefield triage. All current medikit production will be upgraded once this technology is researched. [RC10]
  • Skulljack. Access to the alien communications network is highly restricted, requiring several complex biomedical augments before admittance can be granted. The Skulljack allows us to "hack" into the network by temporarily wresting control of a being's augments, though any access gained is sure to be short-lived. This project will produce one prototype unit when completed.[RC15, MC10]
  • Hybrid Materials. The ADVENT bodies we've recovered so far are shielded by a fascinating combination of materials, some more common than others. By studying the underlying alien technology, our research could lead to vast improvements to our own equipment.[RC15]
  • ADVENT Stun Lancer Autopsy. The ADVENT Stun Lancer is commonly seen maintaining order and quelling disturbances throughout the world. Their unique stun lance could be adapted into a weapon our Rangers are already training to use. [RC5]
  • Creeper Autopsy. The specimen is in rough shape, and Doctor Ranma isn’t optimistic that we can learn much from it, but the creature that was hiding in the crawlways of the Avenger does have some unusual properties that might benefit our medical research program. [RC5]
Manufacturing Projects
  • Mag Pistol. The workshop can now manufacture additional copies of the magnetic pistol. [MC5]
  • Magnetic Ammunition. This ammunition can be used in all of our magnetic weaponry. [MC1/2 (one unit of capacity produces two boxes)].
  • Additional Medikit Production. We all know that medical supplies are at a premium. We can dedicate a portion of our manufacturing output to augment what Doctor Ranma can put together in Medical each week, but that means a cut in other areas. [Manufacturing Cost: 2/kit]
  • Advanced Surgical Kit. Our medikits are pretty fantastic, but even they can only do so much. This kit, designed for field use, can keep a critically injured team member alive long enough for more substantial medical intervention back on the Avenger. [Game Note: this is a one-use Raise Dead device.] [MC5/kit]
  • Improved Research Capacity. Doctor Tygen has been requesting upgrades to his facilities in the research lab for some time now. This upgrade would allow him to work on two research projects simultaneously. [MC10, adds +1d10 Research Capacity/week]
  • Improved Medical Capacity. Doctor Ranma has submitted blueprints for a device that would allow her to produce more medical kits each week. [MC10, 3 points completed, adds +1d6 medikits/week]
  • Mundane Toolkits. Chief Chen can produce just about any kind of ordinary toolkit in the workshop. Just let her know what you need and we'll see that it's added to the queue. [MC varies depending on the tool.]
As always, be sure to submit your recommendations by Friday so we can maximize our production decisions.
I already have Daud’s modified sword in the queue for next week. Per Vanya Mia’s request, I’ll delay the Surgical Kit until she returns.

Mendoza is not an expert, but his presence in Engineering will add +1 to your Manufacturing Capacity moving forward.

Ayram
Veteran Poster

Post by Ayram » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:10 pm

(( Research- Daud votes Hybrid Materials

Manufacturing- Daud votes Improved Research Capacity

Daud will request that John/Arsonist work on magnetic ammunition, while he works on the manufacturing project with his +8 craft mech. If John doesn't get to the mag ammo, Daud will do that instead, also with craft mech if that applies.))

Daud was irked by their latest outing. It bothered him more than it should for some reason. By any measure, it was still a good day. They thwarted ADVENT, field tested their mag weapon, and even got some help for engineering.

But "Mendoza" had used them to rescue a piece of cloth. A literally mythical holy relic sure, even Daud knew that. But it was a piece of cloth that probably no human would know about or ever see again outside of that weird order. Humanity was fighting for much bigger things right now, and Mendoza misled them. Daud found himself developing quick distaste for the man, but fought against it in favor of professionalism. He told himself that he might have done the same thing in his shoes. That Mendoza would actually stick around and help would have to be enough.

On another topic, they'd found their gremlin in the walls, and it didn't disappoint in the horror department. It was one nasty alien, and Daud would probably sleep with one eye open for awhile thanks to it. Who knew if it layed eggs or something? It had raked him before it got it's head blown off, and Daud was paranoid about some kind of infection from it's claws, so he had Doctor Ranma make extra sure nothing was untoward about the wound.

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:46 am

(( Research- Daud votes Hybrid Materials

Manufacturing- Daud votes Improved Research Capacity

Daud will request that John/Arsonist work on magnetic ammunition, while he works on the manufacturing project with his +8 craft mech. If John doesn't get to the mag ammo, Daud will do that instead, also with craft mech if that applies.))

((Yeah that works for me too))

((I prefer the nickname Fireman))

They had two possible missions and the team debated a bit before deciding what to do. They decided to go to Mexico. JD liked the idea. After all, it was another country. Did he travel to Mexico before? How about Canada? He remembered going to a building for some documents may be his Driving Licence or social security number with posters in English and Spanish may be in New York or Chicago...

Bug Report:
Once we arrived I could not fire my weapons, tried reloading or changing weapon but had no luck. I could not see/find the Area Transition to get into the building and I had a couple of items in action queue that I could not clear. Tried to log out and come back bug sound not. At the time did not think about changing avatar.

What I found: Apparently I have got 32 bits STEAM and 32 bits EE installed by default even though I have been using 64 bits machines/OS for quite a while. I will try to fix that. I think STEAM/EE are causing the problems. Internet connection? Not so but this session the kids were using internet it is possible that the week before they were not. Wish me luck.

Klasa
Expert Poster

Post by Klasa » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:28 am

( Research Project - Hybrid Materials, Manufacturing Project - Improved Research Capacity; Henderson will contribute to the Research Project Hybrid Materials, using Survivalist if Directly Related, otherwise Concentration as that's higher if Indirectly. )

You know, despite being a successful mission the air around was definitely that of a failure for some of them. True, they stuck it to ADVENT and took down many of their troopers while taking minor injuries themselves. But it was the fact that they had been lied to, by a Priest of all people, into helping a mysterious group of monks into defending a relic. Sure, the Priest decided to stay behind and aid them as thanks, but the whole ordeal definitely left different degrees of negative emotions among them.

Thankfully they didn't have much time to dwell on that as the true source of the Engineering Section's problems reared their head. Turns out it wasn't a ghost or gremlins. It was just an Alien Cat type creature. After a short game of Cat and Mouse they eventually dispatched it however, and yet another alien fell to mankind. Humanity 1, Space Cats 3. Guess the Space Cats win unless killing one is worth more points compared to just sabotaging work projects?

Shadani
Extreme Poster

Post by Shadani » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:04 am

((I'll 3rd/4th Hybrid Materials and Research Capacity for the week's priorities. Add extra manufacturing to medkit capacity, if any. Jesse contributes +16 repair to the manufacturing project.))

"Do we have any idea what this thing even is? I mean, even a little bit? Besides "alien" and "ugly as shit"? How did it get here? Are there more of 'em? Damned thing could have been, I dunno, laying eggs all around the place or something. Weird, slimy, ichor-coated eggs. Filled with nightmares."

Jesse wolfed down her rations as she talked; the subject matter evidently not impacting her appetite much.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:10 am

Bo swallowed the last of her food before she answered. "I think it's my priority to find out." Brushing her hands down and picking up their empty plates with the usual show of determined cleanliness. "With so many bodies on the table I think it's time to give my full attention towards that so try for a while. So if they send you on a mission try to be aware of the dangers out there." She smirked a little. "Don't talk to any strangers or go with any suspicious people to see their alien puppies."

((A reminder that I am out this week. I will put the server up before I leave and ask the lads to check it still is before I go out tomorrow. While she can't contribute to rolls, IC Bo will be working on the various autopsies.))

smartalec
Extreme Poster

Post by smartalec » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:17 pm

"It's a funny thing, you know," mused Victor in one of his thoughtful moments, which were many. "We get down to that age old question. Is there a god?"

"Now," he goes on, gesturing with his cigarette. "It's easy to say no. But nots of people say yes. And that's worth exploring. Lots of folk say there's something to the world that we don't see, something they feel when they open 'emselves to the spiritual or whatever. So if there is a god, what does that god think of what's happening right now?"

"See, I think it's not as bleak as it might be." He nods. "Could say, well, he's a heartless bastard. But he's, like, Dad. The Dad of everything. Or the Mom. But he... or she, had to let us grow up a long time ago. Makes sense, though, that god ain't happy with a batch of their kids ruining the others. Implies that if god exists, then he or she's in our corner."

((Research: Hybrid Materials and Manufacture: Research Capacity looks good to me! Vic will continue to add his lackadasical +3 to craft electronic to help set up the research capacity.))

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Session 16

400xp for Daud, John, Henderson, Jesse, and Vic for IC posting. +500xp to Jesse for Critical Success on production support.

Production on the Avenger seems to have finally fallen into a groove. The problems in the Engineering Bay continue somewhat, especially since you have to repair all of the damage wrought by the alien creeper, but once that is clear things pick up nicely. Jesse in particular is able to put the extra capacity to good use building new components for the research lab.
TO: MEMBERS, PLANNING COMMITTEE
CC: CENTRAL
RE: Research/Manufacturing Progress Report, Week Ending July 5, 2035

The improvements to the Research Lab are quite welcome, and should significantly improve the pace of our work moving forward. I would still like additional staff if possible, and believe we should start thinking about further expansion using the space available on the lower decks of the Avenger. I am certain that Chief Shen will give us a long list of chores to be done in order to facilitate that work.
Base rolls:
X-COM Research Capacity (1d10): roll 6, +2 (Darius Singh) (8/15 points in Hybrid Materials, 3/10 points in Motion Scanner).

X-COM Manufacturing Capacity (2d10): rolls 1, 6, +1 (Mendoza) (10/10 points total in Improved Research Capacity [completed], 4/10 points in Improved Medical Capacity, 2 boxes of Magnetic Ammunition produced, 1 Light Sword produced).
  • Daud: +8 vs. DC15, roll 14 (Success). +1 to project.
  • John: +7 vs. DC15, roll 15 (Success). 2 boxes of ammunition produced.
  • Henderson: +8 vs. DC20 (indirect skill), roll 4 (No effect).
  • Jesse: +16 vs. DC15, roll 9 (Critical Success). +3 to project. +500xp
  • Vic: +3 vs. DC15, roll 10 (No result).
X-COM Medical Capacity (1d6): 6 (6 new medikits produced this week)

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:49 pm

Another message from Central appears in your email inboxes the afternoon after your double mission.
Only time will tell if the data that you recovered from the ADVENT transmitter will give us anything useful. But we’ve showed the aliens that they cannot act with impunity.

Research Projects

Base production is 2d10+2 (Singh)

Our decryption of the ADVENT Orbital Logistics Data will use up 5 points of our Research Capacity.
  • Magnetic Rifle. We can expand upon our success with the mag pistol and create a full-sized rifle that can project mag rounds with devastating speed and accuracy. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC10, MC8]
  • Shard Gun. The Shard Gun takes standard shotgun shells and superheats them in a magnetic ignition chamber. The result is a molten spray of burning death. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC10, MC8]
  • Gauss Weapons. With our mastery of ADVENT's core weapon technology, we can now develop specialized weapon systems using the alien technology to improve on power storage and consumption, projectile path fidelity, and penetrative force over greater distances. We may be able to develop a sniper rifle and cannon variant based on our newly learned Magnetic Weapons technology. [RC10]
  • Motion Scanner. This is an interesting idea from the Science Department, using particle displacement technology to develop a scanner that can detect enemy motion, even through solid objects. Doctor Tygen says that the scanner should work to about a hundred meters out. One prototype will be provided when the project is completed. [RC10, 3 points completed]
  • Improved Medikit. Doctor Ranma tells us that we can improve our basic medical kits to provide more effective battlefield triage. All current medikit production will be upgraded once this technology is researched. [RC10]
  • Skulljack. Access to the alien communications network is highly restricted, requiring several complex biomedical augments before admittance can be granted. The Skulljack allows us to "hack" into the network by temporarily wresting control of a being's augments, though any access gained is sure to be short-lived. This project will produce one prototype unit when completed.[RC15, MC10]
  • Hybrid Materials. The ADVENT bodies we've recovered so far are shielded by a fascinating combination of materials, some more common than others. By studying the underlying alien technology, our research could lead to vast improvements to our own equipment.[RC15, 8 points completed]
  • ADVENT Stun Lancer Autopsy. The ADVENT Stun Lancer is commonly seen maintaining order and quelling disturbances throughout the world. Their unique stun lance could be adapted into a weapon our Rangers are already training to use. [RC5]
  • Creeper Autopsy. The specimen is in rough shape, and Doctor Ranma isn’t optimistic that we can learn much from it, but the creature that was hiding in the crawlways of the Avenger does have some unusual properties that might benefit our medical research program. [RC5]
  • ADVENT MEC Breakdown. These mechanized units have a familiar humanoid form, but we haven't found any indication of a pilot or biological control system. I'm hoping that once we've pulled it apart, I'll be able to mirror some of their advancements in our own weapons and robotic systems. [RC5]
Manufacturing Projects

Manufacture of Bo’s Surgical Kit will use up 2 points of our Research Capacity.

Base production is 2d10+1 (Mendoza)
  • Mag Pistol. The workshop can now manufacture additional copies of the magnetic pistol. [MC5]
  • Magnetic Ammunition. This ammunition can be used in all of our magnetic weaponry. [MC1/2 (one unit of capacity produces two boxes)].
  • Additional Medikit Production. We all know that medical supplies are at a premium. We can dedicate a portion of our manufacturing output to augment what Doctor Ranma can put together in Medical each week, but that means a cut in other areas. [Manufacturing Cost: 2/kit]
  • Advanced Surgical Kit. Our medikits are pretty fantastic, but even they can only do so much. This kit, designed for field use, can keep a critically injured team member alive long enough for more substantial medical intervention back on the Avenger. [Game Note: this is a one-use Raise Dead device.] [MC5/kit]
  • Improved Medical Capacity. Doctor Ranma has submitted blueprints for a device that would allow her to produce more medical kits each week. [MC10, 4 points completed, adds +1d6 medikits/week]
  • Mundane Toolkits. Chief Chen can produce just about any kind of ordinary toolkit in the workshop. Just let her know what you need and we'll see that it's added to the queue. [MC varies depending on the tool.]
As always, be sure to submit your recommendations by Friday so we can maximize our production decisions.

Ayram
Veteran Poster

Post by Ayram » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:43 pm

// Some of us are asking eachother about some of the projects having both an RC and a MC at the same time. Does that mean we need contributions from both departments to actually finish the project and get a prototype? Or that after the research is finished, and we have a prototype, that is what the MC will be to get extra?