X-COM 2 - 2019 Campaign Thread

Moderator:Lazybones

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster
Re: X-COM 2 - 2019 Campaign Thread

Post by Mirgalen » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:49 am

// Where is my post?

Tried to write post once and the browser crashed. Wrote another may be an hour ago but now it is gone. I will retype a short version.

//

How amazing they were with their body suits and weapons from sci fi movies. Things were going well so far...

//

CRAFT MECH 7

RESEARCH:

HYBRID MATERAL and MEC BREAKDOWN

MANUFACTURING:

Enough Ammo I guess so let's clear debris for ADVANCE ??? CENTER

// Hope my post stick this time

Mirgalen
Extreme Poster

Post by Mirgalen » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:00 am

JD did not remember for sure how long ago he found himself in a cell with people he did not know. After all he did not know when he was born. Sure he remembered the Sony Walkman, some old computers like the TRS 80, the Atari ST or the AMSTRAD something but he could have seen them in old magazines or in a museum. He remembered some actors like Charlton Heston, John Wayne and Yul Brynner but he may have seen them in movies released decades before he was born...

The ship was much better than the slums where they were hiding, looking for scraps, hunting snakes and fighting with next to nothing. The rebel were really something. Taking down an alien ship and retrieving "Elyrium" artefact from it to use as a power source. That was something. JD looked at his friends and smiled. Now, they had nice body suits and weapons you see in Sci-Fi movies. They were in a spaceship. "Whao" who could have imagined that?

//

CRAFT MECH 7

RESEARCH: I vote for "Hybrid Materials" (2 points to complete and we may need better protective gear) and/or "ADVENT MEC Breakdown" (RC5) I assume we could do both.

MANUFACTURING:

A bit trickier... What is the ammo situation? If we have enough for the next mission I'd rather do something else like "Advanced Manufacturing Center" (clearing debris should not be too hard).

Klasa
Expert Poster

Post by Klasa » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:59 am

((For Research, voting finish Hybrid Materials, then Shieldbearer Autopsy, and after that Skulljack. For manufacturing, Advanced Manufacturing Facility. Henderson will contribute to the Autopsy with Concentration))

Things had been moving well for the group and you could tell they had moved from mere survivors trying to survive together to forming a true team together. Perhaps not the most well oiled or efficient machine, no, but then all the best stories and movies starred a bunch of misfits struggling for their lives, not a bunch of perfects finding good luck everywhere they turned.

Yes, things were going along the right track for them, but there was still one thing left really. Perhaps one of the most important things the group was waiting on. It could not be underestimated just how important this last item was before they became a true and completed team. And that was the girl's nickname, of course.

Unfortunately, she just hadn't done something to really make one stick out for Henderson. Sure, Vic "DJ" and Bo "Doc" were simple, yet sweet names that formed just from their professions, but that didn't make them worth any less. Then you had John / Bruce "Arsonist" who earned it by proving he should never be let near flammable objects. And no one could claim that Stan "Professional" didn't earn that name. He got the job done, whether it was hacking into alien databases and systems or just personal hygiene after the mission was over. Then there was the newest Daud "Pirate" who was crazy enough like one to charge into battle with just a sword... definitely need to look into getting him some shades at least, if not a hat too.

So really, she was the last one he needed to come up with. And then the team would be complete. Well, after they finally decided on one for him too, cause what kind of person picks their own nickname after all, right?

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Session 19

600xp for full-party IC posting.
+500xp for Henderson for skill check success.

It was looking like a pretty dismal week for skill rolls, but Henderson pulled out a natural 20 at the end.

Sometimes it only takes a moment’s lapse in concentration.

With the Avenger’s facilities upgraded, all of the projects seem to be moving ahead, although the first round of debris clearance on the lower deck takes more time and effort than expected. Daud, working alone in a corner of the armory, is distracted, and he fails to notice that the first batch of rounds he creates for the Mag Pistols are flawed. He goes to the test range, his thoughts still elsewhere.

When Gustav brings the semiconscious Daud into the medical bay a short while later, he is clutching the blackened fingers of one hand while drifting in and out of consciousness.

“What happened?” Mary Ranma says as she rushes over.

“Still working out a few bugs with the new weapons, I think,” the beefy Swede reports.
TO: MEMBERS, PLANNING COMMITTEE
CC: CENTRAL
RE: Research/Manufacturing Progress Report, Week Ending July 19, 2035

The new medical machinery is meeting expectations, and I hope that the progress on the Advanced Manufacturing Center presages a greater investment in our medical facilities. I will point out that my department is the only one that is currently functioning out of a closet, and based on recent events I believe that our emergency triage facilities could stand an upgrade to a dedicated room on the lower decks. I would also point out that while Alpha has been fortunate enough not to need an Advanced Surgical Kit to date, it might be a wise investment to manufacture one before it becomes necessary.

One final commendation of note is Henderson’s, ah, unusual contribution to the Shieldbearer Autopsy project. The man has no technical or academic skills whatsoever as far as I can tell, but he makes up for it in terms of focus. Or perhaps it was luck that allowed him to pinpoint the embedded node that enables the creature to integrate the shield components into its body matrix. Certainly none of us saw it. Either way, it seems like a good idea to have him participate in future examinations of alien personnel, though I would ask that he wear scrubs on future projects in the lab.
Base rolls:
X-COM Research Capacity (2d10): rolls 3, 5, +2 (Darius Singh) (3/3 points in Alien Data Decryption [Psionic Pacification, completed], 15/15 points in Hybrid Materials [completed], 5/5 points in ADVENT Shieldbearer Autopsy [completed], 7/15 points in Skulljack, 3/10 points in Motion Scanner).
  • Henderson: +8 vs. DC20 (indirect skill) on Shieldbearer Autopsy, roll 20 (Critical Success). +3 to project, +500xp.
  • Bo: +14 vs. DC15 on Shieldbearer Autopsy, roll 2 (Success). +1 to project.
X-COM Manufacturing Capacity (2d10): rolls 8, 2, +1 (Mendoza) (9/20 points in Advanced Manufacturing Center, 1/20 points in Power Relay).
  • Daud: +8 vs. DC15 on Magnetic Ammunition, roll 1 (Critical Failure). One Mag Pistol destroyed.
  • John: +7 vs. DC25 on Advanced Manufacturing, roll 4 (Failure). -1 to project.
  • Jesse: +17 vs. DC25 on Advanced Manufacturing, roll 6 (No result).
  • Vic: +4 vs. DC25 on Advanced Manufacturing, roll 5 (Failure). -1 to project.
  • Stan +16 vs. DC25 on Power Relay, roll 10 (Success). +1 to project.
X-COM Medical Capacity (2d6): rolls 4, 3 (7 new medikits produced this week)

Ayram
Veteran Poster

Post by Ayram » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:14 pm

// Since Daud is apparently minus a mag pistol, I'd like to confirm if Daud's rapier had an extra damage property added (e.g. slash/blunt) so it can deal with ADVENT pierce resistance?

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:24 pm

Ayram wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:14 pm
// Since Daud is apparently minus a mag pistol, I'd like to confirm if Daud's rapier had an extra damage property added (e.g. slash/blunt) so it can deal with ADVENT pierce resistance?
Yes, I added the slashing damage property. I can transfer the item in game, remind me if I forget.

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:12 pm

((Looking at those rolls it seems we're now hitting manufacturing and research options with higher DC, which was inevitable and the "good stuff" is now matching or outstripping our skills. It took us by surprise this week, though we should have guessed from the Skulljack one last week. There's always a risk but it's getting so that even without LB's biased dice ( :P ) we're as, if not more, likely to cause a -ve than a +ve contribution. Hence I'm suggesting some rules of thumb based on the maths:
  • It seems possible to do research even with a crafting skill with no penalty if it's related. (Correct me if I'm wrong LB.)
  • Options that've been around a while will have lower DCs and are still useful so work on them. If you go critical success you still get the XP, it's more likely to happen in fact, and if you critically fail it's less likely to be a problem. We can always use more ammo and medkits and need to learn new types of weapon and armour too.
  • If we don't know what the DC is for newer projects and your skill is less than 10, or 15 for an indirect one, don't have your character work on them.
  • The DC for a project worked on previously can be checked from the rolls, or a good guess made from similar projects, and if it is over twice your skill level don't have your character work on it.
  • We shouldn't ignore skills that are useful "in game" in favour of crafting ones but some work well for both, so if you've a high but potentially indirect skill try getting inventive with how to apply those.
Some DCs will always catch us out but hysterical as the consquences are we should maybe try to avoid blowing up the ship. :D ))

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:48 pm

I don't have a list of applicable skills prepared, I've just been deciding those as they come up. Creativity is a plus. But sure, you can use a crafting skill to boost research if it's in the right field. Some of the "research" projects are actually creating prototypes, those are noted in the descriptions.

My goal is to always post the RC/MC cost for each project; the DC is that number +5 (minimum 15).

Vanya Mia
Forum God

Post by Vanya Mia » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:13 pm

((Thanks LB, I did wonder on the DCs from what looked like an increase for the Skulljack but wasn't sure.

Also the server is up, usual details.))

Lazybones
Forum God

Post by Lazybones » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:40 pm

Everyone gets busy, and the post-mission debrief is postponed. But before that happens, another message from Central appears in your email inboxes.
The woman you encountered is named Catalina de Ferrago. She was an X-COM operative and an original member of Alpha Team, but after the invasion and humanity's defeat she elected to go her own way. We will speak more of her later. I believe that while she is continuing to fight against the aliens in her own way, we cannot assume that her goals align with ours.

Operative Bright was on a mission to reach out to a resistance cell in the area. She had been following her check-in schedule, so she must have been taken very recently. Doctor Ranma says that she suffered a traumatic brain injury during her capture but is responding to treatment. The other woman you recovered remains somewhat skittish, but she is not otherwise injured and shows no signs of alien tampering that we can detect.

We still have a set of residual data to decrypt from your transmitter raid. It won’t take long to decrypt the Purification Operations data, but you will need to decide if too much time has passed to make this worthwhile. We are also working on a few leads that could yield more information about ADVENT’s biological research program, and we can prioritize that if you prefer.

Our successful research into the alien Hybrid Materials has opened up several new options for better armor. Chief Shen and Doctor Tygan have prepared blueprints for various prototypes that we can research before embarking upon full-scale manufacturing. Some of these new armors are bulky enough that they will require additional training for effective field use.

Research Projects

MC costs in this list are for subsequent copies of an item once it is researched. Initial research just uses X-COM Research Capacity.

Base production is 2d10+2 (Singh)

Decryption of the ADVENT Purification Operations Data, if pursued, will use up 1 point of our Research Capacity.
  • Magnetic Rifle. We can expand upon our success with the mag pistol and create a full-sized rifle that can project mag rounds with devastating speed and accuracy. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC10, MC8]
  • Shard Gun. The Shard Gun takes standard shotgun shells and superheats them in a magnetic ignition chamber. The result is a molten spray of burning death. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC10, MC8]
  • Gauss Weapons. With our mastery of ADVENT's core weapon technology, we can now develop specialized weapon systems using the alien technology to improve on power storage and consumption, projectile path fidelity, and penetrative force over greater distances. We may be able to develop a sniper rifle and cannon variant based on our newly learned Magnetic Weapons technology. [RC10]
  • Nanoscale Vest. The Nanoscale vest is a light armor underlay derived from ADVENT armor. This vest can be worn with all X-COM armors to provide additional protection. [RC15, MC10]
  • Predator Armor. Predator armor represents our first foray into new body protection based on alien hybrid materials. This suit of medium armor offers excellent protection against most forms of attack. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC15, MC10]
  • Spider Suit. This suit of light armor offers improved protection over the basic X-COM Kevlar, and includes a grapple that can be used to access improved tactical positions on the battlefield. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC15, MC10]
  • EXO Suit. This suit of heavy armor provides superior protection, and includes an embedded rocket launcher. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC15, MC15]
  • Motion Scanner. This is an interesting idea from the Science Department, using particle displacement technology to develop a scanner that can detect enemy motion, even through solid objects. Doctor Tygen says that the scanner should work to about a hundred meters out. One prototype will be provided when the project is completed. [RC10, 3 points completed]
  • Improved Medikit. Doctor Ranma tells us that we can improve our basic medical kits to provide more effective battlefield triage. All current medikit production will be upgraded once this technology is researched. [RC10]
  • Personal Shield. Our successful autopsy of the ADVENT Shieldbearer has opened up a promising line of inquiry that may allow us to integrate this tech into our own armors. One prototype will be produced when this technology is researched. [RC20, MC10]
  • Skulljack. Access to the alien communications network is highly restricted, requiring several complex biomedical augments before admittance can be granted. The Skulljack allows us to "hack" into the network by temporarily wresting control of a being's augments, though any access gained is sure to be short-lived. This project will produce one prototype unit when completed.[RC15, MC10, 7 points completed]
  • ADVENT Stun Lancer Autopsy. The ADVENT Stun Lancer is commonly seen maintaining order and quelling disturbances throughout the world. Their unique stun lance could be adapted into a weapon our Rangers are already training to use. [RC5]
  • ADVENT MEC Breakdown. These mechanized units have a familiar humanoid form, but we haven't found any indication of a pilot or biological control system. I'm hoping that once we've pulled it apart, I'll be able to mirror some of their advancements in our own weapons and robotic systems. [RC5]
  • Sectoid Autopsy. Although the Sectoids have changed substantially since the invasion, their ability to manipulate Psionic energy has clearly not been diminished in the process. With a complete study of this new specimen, we may be able to develop the Psionic capabilities of our own troops. [RC10]
Manufacturing Projects

Base production is 2d10+1 (Mendoza)
  • Mag Pistol. The workshop can now manufacture additional copies of the magnetic pistol. [MC5]
  • Magnetic Ammunition. This ammunition can be used in all of our magnetic weaponry. [MC1/2 (one unit of capacity produces two boxes)].
  • Additional Medikit Production. We all know that medical supplies are at a premium. We can dedicate a portion of our manufacturing output to augment what Doctor Ranma can put together in Medical each week, but that means a cut in other areas. [Manufacturing Cost: 2/kit]
  • Advanced Surgical Kit. Our medikits are pretty fantastic, but even they can only do so much. This kit, designed for field use, can keep a critically injured team member alive long enough for more substantial medical intervention back on the Avenger. [Game Note: this is a one-use Raise Dead device.] [MC5/kit]
  • Advanced Medical Center. The upgrade to the Avenger’s power system will allow us to further upgrade our facilities. The project outline includes debris clearance on the lower decks. [MC20, requires Improved Medical Capacity, adds unlocks, +1d6 medikit production.]
  • Advanced Research Center. The upgrade to the Avenger’s power system will allow us to further upgrade our facilities. The project outline includes debris clearance on the lower decks. [MC20, requires Improved Research Capacity, adds unlocks, +1d10 research output.]
  • Advanced Manufacturing Center. The upgrade to the Avenger’s power system will allow us to further upgrade our facilities. The project outline includes debris clearance on the lower decks. [MC20, requires Improved Manufacturing Capacity, adds +1d10 manufacturing output, 9 points completed.]
  • Power Relay. While we’re good for now on our power needs, Chief Shen says we’ll need additional work once we get going on our lower decks expansion. This could also potentially benefit our research program, as Doctor Tygan believes that we can use this upgrade to begin integrating Elerium into our field technology. [MC20, requires Ignition Matrix, unlocks Elerium, needed for second Advanced Center upgrade, 1 point completed].
  • Defensive Turrets. Our raid on the alien supply ship highlights our own vulnerability to attack. This upgrade would add a pair of automatic turrets to the exterior of the ship, flanking the exit ramp. [MC15]
  • Mundane Toolkits. Chief Shen can produce just about any kind of ordinary toolkit in the workshop. Just let her know what you need and we'll see that it's added to the queue. [MC varies depending on the tool.]
As always, be sure to submit your recommendations by Friday so we can maximize our production decisions.

Game Note: the Medium Armor and Heavy Armor Proficiency rings are free, but you will need to train for a week to be able to get them (one week for Medium, then a second week for Heavy). If you elect to train then you will not be able to make a skill check in the strategic game that week. The item descriptions above indicate whether a suit is light, medium, or heavy.

Note that armor upgrades (Nanoscale Vest, Personal Shield, and some others yet to come) use the belt equipment slot. You can only have one of those equipped at a time.