Where to find Neverwinter Nights players?

Looking for like-minded Players to adventure with? Looking for a DM to run you or your group through an adventure? This forum is for you!
Carlo
Forum God
Where to find Neverwinter Nights players?

Post by Carlo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:00 am

The Neverwinter Nights (NWN) multiplayer community, even in its heyday in the mid-2000s in the years following the release of the original NWN, has always been rather fragmented. The previous (2002-2012) incarnation of Neverwinter Connections was a multiplayer community hub, but even then the number of people active on it regularly ebbed and flowed.

The new Neverwinter Connections only very recently launched and although I'm (cautiously) optimistic that over time and through word of mouth it can again develop into a hub for multiplayer gaming, people should also look to publicize their games or gaming groups on other community sites.

One recommendation on how to go about this is to first figure out a convenient future date and time for your game, then add it to the NWC events calendar and link to it as a reference when looking for players. If you want to try to form a gaming group before posting a game, that's also fine, but it will be helpful to have a common reference time for getting together, along with something tangible for a game description. You can always edit the game later to change the date and time, if needed.

Outside of the NWC forums and Discord channel, I would suggest looking at the following NWN community sites. All of them should support, at minimum, posting your game's description (or a summary of it) and a link to the NWC calendar event. (Welcome other people's comments and recommendations for sites, too.)

r/neverwinter nights - this subreddit is generally friendly and eclectic, with a number of people interested in multiplayer.

Beamdog's official NWN:EE multiplayer and PW forum - its main advantage is its central community location on the Beamdog site.

Steam's Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition community discussions - the forums here are basic, but there's an active player pool here, based on those who have a Steam install of the game.

Neverwinter Vault forums - the Vault is not really about multiplayer, since its focus is on other projects (module building, custom content and tools), but it's another general community gathering point.

Personal comment: having run dozens of Application or Open games at the old NWC, and starting up again here, I can attest to the fact that the response you get is likely to be uncertain and rather random. That said, don't take it too personally - people have other things to do with their schedules, and I've also seen a lot of weird stuff happen to my fellow players to cause them to miss games over the years (computers fried, medical emergencies, last-minute remembrance of anniversaries, etc.) Sometimes games may end up not being filled, or need to be postponed/rescheduled, and that's OK. The ones you do get to play will more than make up for that, in the end.

Carlo
Forum God

Re: Where to find Neverwinter Nights players?

Post by Carlo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:29 am

In addition to the above forum-type sites, various Neverwinter Nights Discord channels are also popular - but at the same time fragmented in terms of communities. In addition to the NWC Discord linked off the main Neverwinter Connections site, here are a few which are multiplayer-friendly.

NWN Crossroads: https://discord.gg/ZDHxTdJ
Neverwinter Nights: https://discord.gg/MPxDrcr
Neverwinter Vault: https://discord.gg/pWVqMRX

Return to “The Player Connection”