Roleplay Thread

Greywolf McGrowler's Campaign

Moderator:Greywolf McGrowler

Greywolf McGrowler
Experienced User
Roleplay Thread

Post by Greywolf McGrowler » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:14 am

A note has been left for the heroes at the Broken Bow Inn.

Jarnor the barkeep shall deliver it to you.

It is a wax sealed enveloped with the crest of a greatsword and a wildcat; the symbol of Mathias Grey.

The seal is unbroken, and safe.

It reads:

To those of my esteemed association:

I apologize for my absence and lack of contact with you, but circumstances have forced me to lay low until now.

It has come to my attention that you have involved yourselves with the organization known as the Shadowblades.

I myself have had a run in with this notorius organization recently, and wish to have a meeting with you in the upper levels of the inn, in the meeting hall on the first door to the left.

I will explain a few things to you, and bring you up to date.

Make sure you are not followed.

-Grey

I.P. Logged

Ward

Expert Poster

Last On: 11/11/08
View Profile
Message Player

United States

Chapter 2 RP
« on: Oct 17, 2008, 3:15PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The brown haired man sat in the corner of the meeting room, his greatsword beside him, leaning against the wall.

He waits patiently, his eyes never wavering from the the doorway; the only way into the room.

He had sent a message to his companions earlier that day, and he awaited them, but he also feared that his message be intercepted by the Shadowblades.

His side ached at the thought of the Shadowblades, and his hand reached for the freshly healed wound below his heart.

The memories of that night were hazy, but he remembered waking from a dream suddenly to find a man above him trusting a knife towards his heart.

He had no time to dodge the strike, instead he glanced the blow to miss the killing mark.

A blinding white pain sheared through his body, and his vision went black.

When he awoke, he was laying on the floor in a pool of his own blood.

The knife had missed his heart and he thanked the gods that he was still alive.

The assassins had made off with his old armor and his old sword.

His armor and sword were sentimental piece from his times with Cin's mercenary company.

He was sure that they took it as proof of his demise.

"Ha, the fools" he thought, "I am sure they think me dead, but soon they will find out otherwise."

« Last Edit: on: Oct 18, 2008, 3:24PM » I.P. Logged

DragonKnightp3

Extreme Poster

Last On: 11/08/08
View Profile
Message Player

United States

« on: Oct 17, 2008, 10:35PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the group returned to Heartridge, Alisha was still pondering over the recent events. She had thanked Sorentho for holding onto Mathias' armor for her and immediately took possession of it. The only reason the young woman did not keep it together with his sword was simply because it would have been a heavy burden on her. Alisha prided herself on her speed and ability to use an enemy's force against them, but she was never exceptionally strong.

Alisha refused to believe that Mathias was dead. The thought of such of skilled warrior falling to the Shadowblades was too depressing. She had little time to dwell on it when the messenger came with the letter. Alisha's first thought was that this might be another trap from the organization. She had already been targeted before in a similar manner and perhaps they thought she would fall for the same trick twice. However, the more she thought about it, the more she realized the improbablity of that, We took care of the Shadowblades in the eastern plains and their leader will have only just returned with new troops...there is no way that they could reorganize so quickly...but...I would rather not wind up in a cage again.

Alisha spoke softly to Rose, Sorentho and Haldinmur, "This seal...it does bare the mark of Master Mathias...but...I am still concerned. I plan to follow the instructions. Please give me a head start then come. If it is a trap, I will flee or hold off the Shadowblades long enough for you to come. If not...you will finally get to meet the man I speak so highly of." With that, Alisha bowed to her allies and made her way to the inn.

Despite her minor hinderance from the armor, Alisha was very good at remaining stealthy when she put her mind to it. She could remember all those times she snuck around the dojo trying to spy on her father's martial arts lessons. It was not her best skill but she was competent. The main reason the shadowblades got the jump on her was because she was not expecting to be forced to sneak around Heartridge.

When she reached the door of the meeting room, her actions were swift. She turned the doornob quickly and kicked it open hard. She then hopped back and took up a defensive stance as if she expected someone to attack her. Needless to say, she was relieved to see Mathias in the meeting room and immediately lowered her guard. She bowed and with a smile spoke, "Master Mathias...I am so glad to see you. I...was worried...perhaps put on edge by everything that has happened in your absence."

She made her way into the meeting room and closed the unlocked door behind her. She smiled apologetically, Forgive me for that moment earlier. I...when the Shadowblades targeted me, it was through an invitation similar to the one you sent out. There are three others who should be arriving soon. I do not believe you have met them, but they have aided me during this affair with the Shadowblades.

The first person is Rose, a cleric woman who has been aiding me over the last month. There is also a dwaven wizard named Winterbeard who aided me for that same amount of time, yet I have not seen him lately. The other two, Sorentho and Haldinmur, I only met three to four days ago. However, they fought alongside me when they could have simply washed their hands of the whole affair. Haldinmur is an elven druid who wishes to assist with calming the undead that goblins awoke a month or so ago. Sorentho...he will likely introduce himself before anyone else. He has stated...repeatedly that he is a wandering savior who would have taken care of the goblin problem if he arrived here a month ago. He is a decent swordfighter though. Everyone else who comes, you would already know.

Although there is something I wish to ask, did you know this person Master Mathias?" She reached into her pack and set two objects down on the table. The first was Mathias' Armor while the second was his sword. Finally, she pulled out the head of the Shadowblade Lieutenant who was parading around in Mathias' equipment before he was killed. She hoped to get a response soon so she could put the head away before the others arrived. Truth be told, she hated holding onto it at all.

« Last Edit: on: Oct 18, 2008, 4:36AM » I.P. Logged

Ward

Expert Poster

View Profile
Message Player

United States

« on: Oct 18, 2008, 10:38AM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

Mathias eyes widen, and his lip tighten at the site of the head that Alisha placed upon the table.

"Beamus Serealius!"he exclaimed, as he moved with a pantherish speed to reached for the severed head with his rugged hands.
"I would have never thought this of him."he muttered, as he was lost in thought. "Indeed, I once knew this man."

He takes a deep breath and exhales before continuing. In another life, I once worked with this man, not as a Shadowblade, but as one of Cin's Blood Wolves."

"I use to work with a band of mercenaries years ago, which is where I got this armor and sword." his fingers caresing his old gear.

"The leader of the band was Cin Morto, a powerful elven spellsword, with a sharp mind, and a sense of charisma that drew people to him".

"I learned from him how to manipulate magical items and a bit about arcane lore, as well as the use of tactics in battle."

"I owe my life to that man, he was the one who saved me and trained me to be a warrior. When I was a young boy I ran afoul of his companions, and it was him who spared me and taught me the ways of the sword."

"I had the talent to learn the arcane arts, and a natural aptitude, but I prefered to focus on my martial skills, and I latered learned how to use the greatsword from his righthand warrior, Artier Rivenshield."

"But, I also worked some of the more "delicate" jobs that Cin needed done."

"Artier and his warriors were known as the right hand of Cin, and Bartholmew, Beamus and I, and a few others, were the left."

"Bartholomew was a master assassin by trade, and I ran a few killings for him." his face indignant as he says this

"Usually Beamus and I were used to do recon, and set traps before the main troop arrived. look of fond memory clouds his face momentarily

"But, I left the group after it faced defeat seven years ago, at the hands of an army of frost giants, eighty-five miles outside of Luskan."

"Its why I ended up here really, I took the first ship out of Luskan to the Moonshae to start a new life."

"I wonder what this means? Was there anyone else there? Could he still be working for Bartholomew? or even Cin?"

I.P. Logged

DragonKnightp3

Extreme Poster

View Profile
Message Player

United States

« on: Oct 18, 2008, 12:39PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

Alisha bowed her head towards the vetran warrior as she spoke softly, "I...am sorry that you have to see a former companion like this. When we encountered the Shadowblades in their forward camp, he was overseeing the camp while wearing your armor. Even when we dealt with the guards, he continued to fight. I believe he thought we were weakened enough to defeat by himself. If I did not find the armor on him, I would not have brought back his head." She slowly realized that starting from the middle would not really help the situation, "Perhaps it would be best if I told you my accounts first. The others have heard and experienced most of them anyway."

Alisha sat down at the table and sighed, "This all started about four days ago. I was planning to head to Heartridge Graveyard with Rose to help stem the tide of undead. The goblins had disturbed a great number of them as I said previously. I met Sorentho that day and persuaded him to help as well. Just before we left, I recieved a message that Yin Lee, a friend of my father, had come to Heartridge and wished to speak with me. When I went to his room, I found his dead body and myself surrounded by Shadowblades. I was not expecting an ambush and was caught unprepared.

They took me to their camp and I met their leader, a snide man who wished to hand me over as a prize for Vracknor. He is connected to the Shadowblades as an employer, I believe. As for the reasons...I...am not truly sure why they would want me." She produced a letter out of her pack which appeared to be marching orders for the Shadowblades in the area. The orders seem to include creating a task force to capture and interrogate Alisha as well as wipe out the remaining Hammerhelm Bloodline, "There is more...my father sent a note with Yin Lee. It was torn in the struggle...so I do not know what he was trying to tell me. He said...that there was another reason why he was so reluctant to teach me more than the theory behind martial arts...that it was related to my birth parents and a history they were trying to ignore. I am one of the last. The last of what, I have no clue. The Shadowblade leader seemed interested in finding out whether I knew something or not...but this is insane. My birth parents were simple farmers, nothing more! They were killed in the crossfire when Elmwood keep errupted into civil war! There is nothing special about me."

Alisha shook her head as she tried to calm herself again, obviously this fear of not knowing her true past was getting to her, "I...I am sorry for that. I should continue. The leader headed off to contact Vravknor with the intent of returning with him in three days. During my first day, the guard assigned to my cell freed me. He said he was from Corwell Keep and part of a faction working against Vracknor. He knew full well that if he did this and was discovered, the shadowblades would kill him. Once free, I met up with the others and told them about everything. We launched an assault on the Shadowblades camp and managed to rescue the man undercover. I did not ask him name...I thought it would be safer not to. Before we parted ways, he mentioned another person, Genar who might have more information on Vracknor."

« Last Edit: on: Oct 18, 2008, 7:56PM » I.P. Logged

Ward

Expert Poster

View Profile
Message Player

United States

« on: Oct 18, 2008, 1:51PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

"I see" said the middle-aged warrior, as he descended into his chair.

"I know this Genar you speak of, he was a client of mine a month back, he hired me to retrieve his "fishing kit", though I assumed he had other reasons for retrieving it, or for him being in the Hills of Goth to begin with." he strokes his beard in thought.

"I will seek Genar out as soon as possible, but first I have something for you to know.
I have been changing the dynamics of my company, and now I am investing it in this endeavor against Vracknor and the Shadowblades.
I have been putting some funds into suppling Miko with the tools he needs, as well as keeping an eye on the forces surrounding the lands."he chuckles slightly "I know about your companions and I know about the ambush that befell you, and I am sorry that I could do nothing about it, but I have been in hiding since the Shadowblades made an attempt on my live, and nearly suceeded." he lifts his tunic, to reveal a month old dagger scar beneath his heart. "I am a lucky man, and they thought me dead, so I let them believe that. But, I still never knew till now the Beamus was a part of this." he sighs.
"It seems that Vracknor has many connections, and the town has spies everywhere, I now know that the assassins were sent not only because we destroyed the goblins, but because I have been running my business towards finding out who he is, and now it would seem that it is personal as well."his eyes ablaze at the thought of the implications this could have.

"The reason I sent the letter was to ready you against the Shadowblades, but it seems it came to late, and you have suceeded without my aid." he chuckles softly."But, I also sent it to inform you of Miko's progress, and I am informed that you shall have some answers within a few days time."

I.P. Logged

DragonKnightp3

Extreme Poster

View Profile
Message Player

United States

« on: Oct 18, 2008, 4:40PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

Alisha rubbed the back of her head as she commented with uncertainty, "I do not believe we have dealt with them completely. The attack on their camp though successful only hinders them. By now, their leader and perhaps Vracknor himself have come to this region with fresh troops. They just lack a base of operations to support them now. In my opinion we gave them a black eye. They are hurting but will heal in time."

The student of the gentle way commented, "From what the spy told me, Vracknor was a being too powerful to face alone at this time. Especially with the leader of the shadowblades and several bodyguards around. Hopefully, they will remain on the defensive for some time thanks to this blow. This would give us the opportunity to learn more about our foes."

I.P. Logged

Ward

Expert Poster

View Profile
Message Player

United States

« on: Oct 18, 2008, 5:16PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

"I concur with your assessment, and from my understanding, this Vracknor seems to strike fear in all who are connected to him, but there is no solid description of what he is, just that he is a master of arcane knowledge."gently sighs.

"Hopefully Miko will have some answers, but in the mean time, I worry about this latest news you hae brought me, if Beamus was the lietiuant, then I am sure that Bartholomew cannot be too far, and if he is involved, we must be more careful."
saying this, he laughs a bit, then looks seriously at Alisha and says.
"He is far better at his job than I am, and what he does is kill."

I.P. Logged

Gloin

Newbie Poster

View Profile
Message Player

Unknown

« on: Oct 20, 2008, 3:38PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

Prince Gloin Hammerhelm's heart pounded as he stood on the bridge of his ship, the Anvil, as it drove on through the huge swells of the Trackless Sea back from Karsiz, the Dwarven stronghold he called home on the isle of Moray, a few days travel by land and sea from Heartridge. Below deck were a handful of the finest warriors and clerics his Kingdom could provide. The Prince knew that the Goblin raids had not been kind to either Heartridge or his home, but with the quelling of goblin raids at Karsiz, he hoped his retinue could help turn the tide or, at best, slow the damage being done.

The Paladin's last re-collection he had of Heartridge was his friend and associate Mathias, overcome by some unknown assailant, lying in a pool of his own blood pouring from a wound he hoped was not fatal, by an assailant of unknown origin. The meager offering of simple healing salves and a Lay On Hands was all his power could muster at that time. He hoped for the blessings of Moradin to deem this a worthy cause.

"Go home, leave me here and get help! I will heal but I fear this place will be overrun if we cannot muster any more aid!" Mathias had said.

Gloin had argued that his would not leave his stricken friend's side until he showed considerable improvement, but his words came to nothing.

"Leave now and muster more help for us, otherwise there will be two casualties here tonight, now GO!"

That was two weeks past now and Gloin could still remember himself leaving town in the cover of darkness after saying a quiet blessing to Moradin for his injured friend.

He did not know if the salves and blessing had eased the pain in his comrade's eyes, or the prospect of seeing a return on some investment that had been made. Either way, a life was a life and Gloin swore he would do all in his power and status to help.

I.P. Logged

Ward

Expert Poster

View Profile
Message Player

United States

« on: Oct 24, 2008, 9:25AM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

"Even if Beamus was working for my old crew still, there are other issues that concern me, such as Gloin." the grizzled warrior said with a little concern.

"The last I saw him, he was on his way to Karsiz in hopes of getting some support for Heartridge.
Now all we can do is hope that he has made it, and that he will make it back in time with some aid" his hand unconsciously feeling the scar as he recalls the events that lead to Gloin's flight for aid.

« Last Edit: on: Oct 24, 2008, 8:09PM » I.P. Logged

Gloin

Newbie Poster

View Profile
Message Player

Unknown

« on: Nov 9, 2008, 5:58PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

"Land Ho!" shouted Bild, the Anvil's lookout as headland came into view on the horizon.
"Aye brother, I sensed we were getting close." replied Gloin.
Turning to the unit of clansmen assembled on the bridge he continued "We near the hour brothers, let us give praise to Moradin and King Bruni that they will grant us victory!"
"I have every confidence we will succeed, Prince!" proclaimed Finn.
"Ah, ever the optimist, brother!" replied Ginnar, smiling.
The Anvil made good time, sailing swiftly towards the Northern shore and rounding some headland into a bay, ready to drop anchor.
"I wish i shared the confidence you clerics possess!" said Thekk, dourly. "I have seen more death and conflict defending Karsiz than any Dwarf should endure! I shall not be satisfied until the threat of greenskins has been wiped from the lands and we can return home!"
"We all share your concerns, brother." said Gloin. "However I chose you for your skill in battle and am sure the outcome will be favourable. We all took an Oath to aid both Heartridge and Mathias and I aim to deliver on both counts!"
"Your strength of faith is strong, brother." said Finn. "Your time as a guard in the service of the King has taught you well."
"Aye," said Ginnar "Moradin will see us through this expedition!"
"As will this!" laughed Bild, handing Thekk his halberd. A faint smile appeared on the weathered face of the old guardsman.
"Indeed" gleamed Thekk. "Now let us depart for our goal. Prince, give the order."
Gloin nodded and flashed a hearty grin. "The time is now, kinsmen, onwards to Heartridge, for Karsiz!" The group entered the mooring boat, lowered into the icy waters below and set out towards the shore.

« Last Edit: on: Nov 10, 2008, 12:37AM » I.P. Logged

Gloin

Newbie Poster

View Profile
Message Player

Unknown

« on: Nov 10, 2008, 11:34PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

The party wearily headed back to Heartridge. Gloin's burden was hard for him to bear, though he got strength from Moradin to carry his fallen kinsman, Genar, back to the possibilty of clerical aid. He hoped Finn and Ginnar had arrived in the town so that they could restore his friend to life or at the very least give a decent burial. Having just met up with Mathias after his conversation with Rakhir; a kinsman he had no knowledge of; he becan to feel that once again the party faced more questions than answers but more than that, he had made new friends since he had returned to Heartridge and that was most definately a blessing!
Greywolf McGrowler

Greywolf McGrowler
Experienced User

Re: Roleplay Thread

Post by Greywolf McGrowler » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:18 pm

The mists in the depths of his mind parted, and he found himself confronted with an aspect of his former life.

It had been many years since last he had heard that voice. "Mathias!" The dark haired dwarf bellowed, his voice loud, but with a slight sqweek to it.

He had never really liked Kagain, he had always been a cold business man, and was quite ruthless in his endeavors.

Kagain had wanted to talk to him alone, he knew what that meant; business.

of course, Kagain had quite the leverage with the band of Shadowblades he had at his side.

Mathias agreed, and met Kagain by the ramp to the hilltops.

When they reached the crossroads, Mathias hailed the dwarf, but the dwarf responded coldly, "Art is here."

Mathias' eye widened in shock and fear.
The memories of his former years in the Blood Wolves racing over him, the years in the battlefields, during the raids, the smuggling, all the years of turmoil and guilt came back, and he rememembered mostly Artier, a man of exceptional size and strength, the man who taught him how to fight and lead groups in battle.
If he was here, then something of great importance was under way.

"I am looking for a dwarf. Do you know anything?" the dwarf spouted.

"Perhaps, But I am looking for something as well."

Mathias procured apart of Genar's journal, and offered it in exchange for knowledge of what thier involvment with Vracknor is.

Kagain told Mathias that Cin was now involved and had Kagain and a few others involve themselves in the Shadowblades and work with Vracknor, Kagain claimed that Beamus had worked independantly of Cin or Artiers' orders in attempting to kill Mathias, and that Cin was involved as usual for himself, and is offering his resources to Vracknor in exchange for part of whatever it is he is after.

On the request that Kagain bring an offer from Mathias to make a deal with Cin regarding this, as Mathias wants to try and save the town and secure his own survival.

With that Mathias gave Kagain the notes, and they parted ways for the time being.

As Kagain and the others leave, he smiles to himself. "Its a good thing I never trade information, unless I have a backup.", as he felt the piece of paper in his belt pouch that he had used to make a copy of the journal notes earlier.

I.P. Logged

Greywolf McGrowler

Expert Poster

Last On: Today
View Profile
Message Player

United States

Genar
« on: Nov 12, 2008, 7:16PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

Finn, and Ginnar come into town to see Gloin carrying Genar's body. As he places the old dwarf in front of Finn and Ginnar; Gloin looks at them with a expression of mercy on his face.

Finn looks at Gloin and says,"I'm sorry Gloin, but his body is too decayed and the dwarf is too old. It's best that we pray for his souls journey to see Moradin

With that said, Ginnar then asks where Gloin would like to have Genar buried at since the Heartridge Cemetary has gone foul for the time being.

I.P. Logged

Gloin

Newbie Poster

View Profile
Message Player

Unknown

« on: Nov 16, 2008, 3:54PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

Gloin looked at the stricken body of the fallen kinsman, said a blessing to Genar then gazed up at his two cleric brothers mournfully.
"Aye, it is as i feared. His place is with Moradin. Hopefully he can find peace now," Gloin said, "but if only we had returned sooner, he may still have lived!"
"Do not blame yourself for his death young Sire," answered Bild, who was sitting outside the Broken Bow and had been quietly reflecting on the journey down from the coast."It was his time to walk through the stone gates. He had served his duty without question or compromise and can enter Moradin's Halls as a proud Dragonstone clansman!"
"Aye old friend," Gloin replied, "your words are conforting to me! He wants us to continue his investigation. This is not the time to mourn!"
"True enough Prince!" growled old Thekk, his hands grasping his halbard with a steely grip. "Now is the time for action!"
"Indeed it is brother," answered Gloin, "we should return Genar to Karsiz so that he can lie with his anscestors as the final Dragonstone clan protector. His line has passed now and we will avenge him!"
With that, a few of the royal retainers nodded and brought the small carriage across the where the party had assembled.
"We shall pray that Moradin grants you a swift journey to Karsiz and brings you safely back my friends!"
With that the guards loaded the body of Genar and his familiar into the carriage and rode off back up the coast road to where the Anvil was anchored.
"Now my friends," Gloin said, "I think now is a fitting time to tell you the information my father told me just before we set off from Karsiz..."
Greywolf McGrowler

Greywolf McGrowler
Experienced User

Post by Greywolf McGrowler » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:19 am

The mists in the depths of his mind parted, and he found himself confronted with an aspect of his former life.

It had been many years since last he had heard that voice. "Mathias!" The dark haired dwarf bellowed, his voice loud, but with a slight sqweek to it.

He had never really liked Kagain, he had always been a cold business man, and was quite ruthless in his endeavors.

Kagain had wanted to talk to him alone, he knew what that meant; business.

of course, Kagain had quite the leverage with the band of Shadowblades he had at his side.

Mathias agreed, and met Kagain by the ramp to the hilltops.

When they reached the crossroads, Mathias hailed the dwarf, but the dwarf responded coldly, "Art is here."

Mathias' eye widened in shock and fear.
The memories of his former years in the Blood Wolves racing over him, the years in the battlefields, during the raids, the smuggling, all the years of turmoil and guilt came back, and he rememembered mostly Artier, a man of exceptional size and strength, the man who taught him how to fight and lead groups in battle.
If he was here, then something of great importance was under way.

"I am looking for a dwarf. Do you know anything?" the dwarf spouted.

"Perhaps, But I am looking for something as well."

Mathias procured apart of Genar's journal, and offered it in exchange for knowledge of what thier involvment with Vracknor is.

Kagain told Mathias that Cin was now involved and had Kagain and a few others involve themselves in the Shadowblades and work with Vracknor, Kagain claimed that Beamus had worked independantly of Cin or Artiers' orders in attempting to kill Mathias, and that Cin was involved as usual for himself, and is offering his resources to Vracknor in exchange for part of whatever it is he is after.

On the request that Kagain bring an offer from Mathias to make a deal with Cin regarding this, as Mathias wants to try and save the town and secure his own survival.

With that Mathias gave Kagain the notes, and they parted ways for the time being.

As Kagain and the others leave, he smiles to himself. "Its a good thing I never trade information, unless I have a backup.", as he felt the piece of paper in his belt pouch that he had used to make a copy of the journal notes earlier.

I.P. Logged

Greywolf McGrowler

Expert Poster

View Profile
Message Player

United States

Genar
« on: Nov 12, 2008, 7:16PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

Finn, and Ginnar come into town to see Gloin carrying Genar's body. As he places the old dwarf in front of Finn and Ginnar; Gloin looks at them with a expression of mercy on his face.

Finn looks at Gloin and says,"I'm sorry Gloin, but his body is too decayed and the dwarf is too old. It's best that we pray for his souls journey to see Moradin

With that said, Ginnar then asks where Gloin would like to have Genar buried at since the Heartridge Cemetary has gone foul for the time being.

I.P. Logged

Gloin

Newbie Poster

Last On: 11/30/08
View Profile
Message Player

Unknown

« on: Nov 16, 2008, 3:54PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

Gloin looked at the stricken body of the fallen kinsman, said a blessing to Genar then gazed up at his two cleric brothers mournfully.
"Aye, it is as i feared. His place is with Moradin. Hopefully he can find peace now," Gloin said, "but if only we had returned sooner, he may still have lived!"
"Do not blame yourself for his death young Sire," answered Bild, who was sitting outside the Broken Bow and had been quietly reflecting on the journey down from the coast."It was his time to walk through the stone gates. He had served his duty without question or compromise and can enter Moradin's Halls as a proud Dragonstone clansman!"
"Aye old friend," Gloin replied, "your words are conforting to me! He wants us to continue his investigation. This is not the time to mourn!"
"True enough Prince!" growled old Thekk, his hands grasping his halbard with a steely grip. "Now is the time for action!"
"Indeed it is brother," answered Gloin, "we should return Genar to Karsiz so that he can lie with his anscestors as the final Dragonstone clan protector. His line has passed now and we will avenge him!"
With that, a few of the royal retainers nodded and brought the small carriage across the where the party had assembled.
"We shall pray that Moradin grants you a swift journey to Karsiz and brings you safely back my friends!"
With that the guards loaded the body of Genar and his familiar into the carriage and rode off back up the coast road to where the Anvil was anchored.
"Now my friends," Gloin said, "I think now is a fitting time to tell you the information my father told me just before we set off from Karsiz..."

I.P. Logged

RakhirOtrere

Newbie Poster

Last On: 12/01/08
View Profile
Message Player

United States

Life after death
« on: Nov 30, 2008, 2:26PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

Rakhir sat inside the Broken Bow staring at his sword where it lay on the table in front of him.

"He's seen us! Here he comes!"

Sipping at his ale, the young ranger wondered what he would do next. He glanced at the noble woman, waiting to honor her ancestors.

"I'll hold him off." Swinging his enchanted long sword, Rakhir watched as the blade struck the bandages of the undead Duke and bounce off. Duke Drakhen smashed the ranger in the face, infecting him with a rotting disease.

How can we defeat something that even this blade can't harm? Taking another sip, he closed his eyes. Too much confidence, too many mistakes.

Elissen's words came back to him. "Strike when YOU are ready, not when you have the opportunity."

The world had spun away and Rakhir awoke in a distant plane. A tree beckoned him and offered him a choice. Pray to the tree and return to Heartstone or remain here forever. Rakhir knelt.

Gloin appeared near the tree and Rakhir faded away, returning to Heartridge.

"I should have stuck to goblin hunting," he said out loud.

« Last Edit: on: Dec 3, 2008, 1:21AM » I.P. Logged

Greywolf McGrowler

Expert Poster

View Profile
Message Player

United States

The Captain Beckons
« on: Dec 2, 2008, 7:31PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

As Rakhir lays outside the town in a tent a guard approaches. The Guard salutes and begins to say in a orderly tone of voice.

Sir, when you are ready and fully healed, the captain wishes to see you and your companions. The Captain has a few tasks for you if your interested.

The guard then salutes once more to Rakhir and then does an about face before he begins to go back into town towards the barracks.

I.P. Logged

RakhirOtrere

Newbie Poster

Last On: 12/01/08
View Profile
Message Player

United States

« on: Dec 2, 2008, 9:52PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

Rakhir watched the guard walk back into the village stunned. He had assumed that his friends had perished fighting the mummified Duke. He knew that Gloin had joined him for a brief time in Limbo, but had not seen him since returning to the village.

"Tasks for my friends and I?" he shouted.

The guard stopped and looked at the ranger.

"I just spoke to the Dwarf and the Lady in the Broken Bow," he replied.

Quickly, Rakhir gathered his weapons and trotted to catch up to the guard and rejoin his companions at the barracks.
Greywolf McGrowler

Greywolf McGrowler
Experienced User

Post by Greywolf McGrowler » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:15 pm

Rose first spotted Duke Drakahn while seeking a flanking position against the skeletal ogres. The true enemy at last! But Rakhir -- he needed help, and needed it soon. The duke would have to wait. Rose hurried over. YOW! A pick caught Rose in her side, and she fell. This was not the way events were supposed to unfold! Fortunately, someone was able to bind her wounds, and though she did not regain consciousness, she was not about to bleed to death.

The fight, however, did not go so fortuitously. Soon Rakhir joined Rose on the ground, and after that fell Envith and Gloin. Mathias was able to lead the undead away from the immediate vicinity, though he was not fated to return. Fortunately, Rakhir, Gloin, and Rose -- but not Envith, regrettably -- were able to regain consciousness. A lingering pirate skeleton revealed the direction in which Mathias had led the undead, and after regrouping themselves, the three set out to deal with the duke.

Knocking on the door to the Captain's Office. Rakhir announced the group's arrival and awaited acknowledgement from within the room.

'Come in,' called the Captain.

Opening the door, Rakhir glanced around the room for any sign of the captain's call. Sensing they would have to wait for the Captain. He led the group into the room and found a comfortable spot on the wall to lean.

'You sent for us?' inquired the ranger.

I.P. Logged

Greywolf McGrowler

Expert Poster

View Profile
Message Player

United States

Captain's Call.
« on: Dec 18, 2008, 1:10PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

Captain Bartley looks around the room half expecting more to follow, but only sees the three; Rakhir, Rose and Gloin. The captain turns his attention to those in the room and says,

"Have a seat, there is much to discuss."

As everyone finds a seat in front of the podium the captain composes himself with a grim face and begins.

"First, I would like to commend everyone on a job well done in the Cemetary. It'll be awhile before Zarn is able to get it cleaned up and looking as beautiful as it once was, but it'll get done now to say the very least."

"Second, you all know how this town has been short handed in terms of soldiers to protect the town. Well I've recently got word that in about another month we hope to see reinforcements come from the city of Callidyrr to help keep this region of Alaron safe. I've already sent one of my soldiers down to the docks East of town to insure that they stay safe and intact. If you happen to be in that area please check up on him.

The captain takes a deep breath and shuffles through his papers before he begins again.

Thirdly, a few weeks after the undead were taken care of in the Heartridge Cemetary there was a huge quake. I sent a few of my men to check out what may have happened. They came back and reported that the Hills of Goth were gone and there was a huge pit in it's place.

I would like to know what lies at the very bottom of that pit. My men looked all over the edges of the pit, but it was too steep for them to climb down it. If you could find someway to the bottom and report back to me what you have found I would appreciate it.

Now last of all there have been some rather large ants outside of town. They really haven't been much of a problem till after the quake. So I sent some soldiers to take care of the ants. Unfortunately, the ants got into a frenzy and over powered a couple of my solderis and killed them. I believe that the change of terrain upset the ants and changed their feeding grounds and their home. I personally don't care and wish them to be gone.
Would you be able to take care of them? I'm sure it would be easy for all the things you have done for the town in the past.

As the captain finishes he looks for a response from those in the room.

« Last Edit: on: Dec 18, 2008, 7:13PM » I.P. Logged

RakhirOtrere

Newbie Poster

View Profile
Message Player

United States

« on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:21AM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

"Well Captain," Rakhir begins, "is there anything else? It seems there is a great deal that needs to be done."

The young ranger strides across the room to face the man charged with defending the village and leans forward.

"My friends went through a lot of healing draughts and bandages the last time we helped out. If I may be so bold to request it, and I think I will be. We'll need five healing draughts, five sets of bandages and two scrolls of life giving each. Plus the longest piece of rope you can find."

He straightens and crosses his arms. " Gold after isn't any good to dead men."

Realizing that he just confronted the town authority, Rakhir tries to avoid biting his lip or lower his eyes. His father had taught him little of negotiating, it was watching his mother deal with four men, Rakhir's father and sons, that taught him facing your target and not showing weakness went a long way in getting what you wanted.

He hoped that still worked.

« Last Edit: on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:30PM » I.P. Logged

Greywolf McGrowler

Expert Poster

View Profile
Message Player

United States

Captain's Call
« on: Dec 21, 2008, 9:27PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

The captain raises his eyebrows as Rakhir boldly asks him for a few things.

Well I'll pay for a few items at Morelen's Supply Shop like bandages and draughts. Though I do believe that we do not have the climbing equipment that you may need to go into the pit the way I think your thinking of attempting.

As Captain Bartley summons one of the guards you see him give the guard some gold; presumably for some supplies from Morelen.

Now go to Morelen's Supply and he should have some bandages and healing draughts ready for you when someone arrives to pick them up.

The Captain goes back to his chair behind his desk and peers into one of the drawers.

If you be needed some gold for other things I'll pay you 2500 gold for proof that the Ant Queen is dead. That way I'll know for sure that those ants won't be bothering the town much more.

One last thing, I'm sorry that we don't have any extra scrolls of life. Though I have heard that there is a new priest in town that does do some healing and give new life to corpses. As long as they aren't dead for too long. I believe he's been hanging around in the park.

With that being said, the captain dismisses everyone and goes about his business.

The remaining undead minions were quickly dispatched, but the duke was a different matter entirely. The duke had no trouble gravely injuring Rakhir, then Gloin, and yet they could not return the favor. Rose had failed to protect those around her, leaving her no choice but to fall back for the moment. But the duke was between her and the way she had come in! No choice but to try one last attack.

The attack failed, and Rose had to flee. Down the passageway, left or right? No time to choose carefully, just choose! Rose could not help thinking that if this passage met a dead end, then so would she. Fortune smiled again, and the passage ended in a room, a room with a large rocky outcropping in the middle no less! At the very least, Rose could keep that between her and the duke and stall for time. Reality shaped itself more in her favor; Rose was able to lose the duke around the rock formation.

So it was back the way she had come, looking to retreat out of these caves. But, no, it was impossible to return the way she had come; the hole by which she had entered would not permit egress. Was she trapped? No, there was still the other passage. A worg guarded it, but better to face a worg than the duke. For now, at least. Upon defeating the worg, recognition flooded through Rose. This was the cave under the Hills of Goth! The exit lay just ahead, and the way back to town was known to her. Perhaps recovering in the town would provide new allies, or at least new strategies. She was weary and drained, but hope flourished once again. She had failed, but next time... next time, the duke would be dealt with.

Surprisingly, she did not need to return to town. Along the way, she encountered Envith and Gloin, miraculously returned to life. A new plan was formed, and the three returned to the cave and ended the duke's undead existence in a flash of holy light. On the body of the duke was found the ring sought by Duke Farnum and a suit of armor of unknown properties.

While there are larger questions remaining, Rose is now curious about certain details. What was that suit of armor? Was a sage able to identify it? What other treasures and trinkets had been acquired along the way? (Rose had acquired a simply enchanted mace and a periapt to help her contemplate the problems of life.)

I.P. Logged

Gloin

Newbie Poster

View Profile
Message Player

Unknown

« on: Dec 8, 2008, 1:48PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

Gloin reflected on the recent events over an ale in the suite of the Broken Bow with his companions.

Moradin had indeed been kind to him, allowing him another chance to walk the plane of life again after being dealt blow after blow from an almost unstoppable foe. He feared worse still was yet to come... Much worse!

However, despite this grim thought, the group had found new armour at the place where Duke Drakahn han been returned to his eternal slumber. They had found two ancient suits of unknown origin, although at this point he was unable to determine what enchantments, if any, its smith had wrought into them. Certainly he had seen nothing like it before.

"Allow me to look at the auld suits, young Prince!" growled Thekk as he walked over to the table on which the armour lay.

Gloin hoped the wise old dwarf may have that vital piece of knowledge that would enable the group to discover what properties the armour contained.

Gloin started scratching his head and as he was about to examine the second suit once more, Rakhir burst into the room.

"We have been tasked by the Guard, Gloin!"he said to the assembled group.

Gloin turned to Rose and said, "Ah, this may give my old kinsmen some time and space to unlock the suits potential! Come, let us find out what Captain Bentley wishes us to do!" as he sank the last of his beer and marched out of the room behind Rakhir and Envith.

I.P. Logged

RakhirOtrere

Newbie Poster

View Profile
Message Player

United States

« on: Dec 13, 2008, 8:01AM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

As the quartet walked to the guard barracks, Rakhir learned how they had defeated the mummy duke and appologized for doubting his abilities.

"Has anyone seen Mathaias?" he asked. That one had too many people hunting him.
Greywolf McGrowler

Greywolf McGrowler
Experienced User

Post by Greywolf McGrowler » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:34 pm

Knocking on the door to the Captain's Office. Rakhir announced the group's arrival and awaited acknowledgement from within the room.

'Come in,' called the Captain.

Opening the door, Rakhir glanced around the room for any sign of the captain's call. Sensing they would have to wait for the Captain. He led the group into the room and found a comfortable spot on the wall to lean.

'You sent for us?' inquired the ranger.

I.P. Logged

Greywolf McGrowler

Expert Poster

View Profile
Message Player

United States

Captain's Call.
« on: Dec 18, 2008, 1:10PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

Captain Bartley looks around the room half expecting more to follow, but only sees the three; Rakhir, Rose and Gloin. The captain turns his attention to those in the room and says,

"Have a seat, there is much to discuss."

As everyone finds a seat in front of the podium the captain composes himself with a grim face and begins.

"First, I would like to commend everyone on a job well done in the Cemetary. It'll be awhile before Zarn is able to get it cleaned up and looking as beautiful as it once was, but it'll get done now to say the very least."

"Second, you all know how this town has been short handed in terms of soldiers to protect the town. Well I've recently got word that in about another month we hope to see reinforcements come from the city of Callidyrr to help keep this region of Alaron safe. I've already sent one of my soldiers down to the docks East of town to insure that they stay safe and intact. If you happen to be in that area please check up on him.

The captain takes a deep breath and shuffles through his papers before he begins again.

Thirdly, a few weeks after the undead were taken care of in the Heartridge Cemetary there was a huge quake. I sent a few of my men to check out what may have happened. They came back and reported that the Hills of Goth were gone and there was a huge pit in it's place.

I would like to know what lies at the very bottom of that pit. My men looked all over the edges of the pit, but it was too steep for them to climb down it. If you could find someway to the bottom and report back to me what you have found I would appreciate it.

Now last of all there have been some rather large ants outside of town. They really haven't been much of a problem till after the quake. So I sent some soldiers to take care of the ants. Unfortunately, the ants got into a frenzy and over powered a couple of my solderis and killed them. I believe that the change of terrain upset the ants and changed their feeding grounds and their home. I personally don't care and wish them to be gone.
Would you be able to take care of them? I'm sure it would be easy for all the things you have done for the town in the past.

As the captain finishes he looks for a response from those in the room.

« Last Edit: on: Dec 18, 2008, 7:13PM » I.P. Logged

RakhirOtrere

Experienced User

View Profile
Message Player

United States

« on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:21AM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

"Well Captain," Rakhir begins, "is there anything else? It seems there is a great deal that needs to be done."

The young ranger strides across the room to face the man charged with defending the village and leans forward.

"My friends went through a lot of healing draughts and bandages the last time we helped out. If I may be so bold to request it, and I think I will be. We'll need five healing draughts, five sets of bandages and two scrolls of life giving each. Plus the longest piece of rope you can find."

He straightens and crosses his arms. " Gold after isn't any good to dead men."

Realizing that he just confronted the town authority, Rakhir tries to avoid biting his lip or lower his eyes. His father had taught him little of negotiating, it was watching his mother deal with four men, Rakhir's father and sons, that taught him facing your target and not showing weakness went a long way in getting what you wanted.

He hoped that still worked.

« Last Edit: on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:30PM » I.P. Logged

Greywolf McGrowler

Expert Poster

View Profile
Message Player

United States

Captain's Call
« on: Dec 21, 2008, 9:27PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

The captain raises his eyebrows as Rakhir boldly asks him for a few things.

Well I'll pay for a few items at Morelen's Supply Shop like bandages and draughts. Though I do believe that we do not have the climbing equipment that you may need to go into the pit the way I think your thinking of attempting.

As Captain Bartley summons one of the guards you see him give the guard some gold; presumably for some supplies from Morelen.

Now go to Morelen's Supply and he should have some bandages and healing draughts ready for you when someone arrives to pick them up.

The Captain goes back to his chair behind his desk and peers into one of the drawers.

If you be needed some gold for other things I'll pay you 2500 gold for proof that the Ant Queen is dead. That way I'll know for sure that those ants won't be bothering the town much more.

One last thing, I'm sorry that we don't have any extra scrolls of life. Though I have heard that there is a new priest in town that does do some healing and give new life to corpses. As long as they aren't dead for too long. I believe he's been hanging around in the park.

With that being said, the captain dismisses everyone and goes about his business.

I.P. Logged

Greywolf McGrowler

Expert Poster

View Profile
Message Player

United States

« on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:06PM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

It was mid September when one of the gate guards heard some distant goblins cheering with their little squaking voices. The guard went to investigate; though he kept his distance. What he saw was horrible. There lay in a pool of blood in the Northern Plains of Barnor was Rakhir Otrere. Quickly, the guard went back into town and talked to the Captain, and told him what he saw.

Sir, we have to get Rakhir's body back! I know there are two goblins we've been keeping in the jails for several months. Now is a good time to get rid of those things so they don't take any more of our supplies. It would be a good trade off if you considor what Rakhir has done for us.

The Captain furled his upper lip and said, "I think your right; I'm tired of keeping those two goblins when we have no need of them anymore, and to get Rakhir's body back would be a good trade off. Once you get Rakhir take him to Kente the Priest in the park and have him raise him back to us. I'm sure his service to this town isn't over yet.

With that said, the guard saluted and asked the two guards outside the Captain's office to help him escort the goblins to the Plains. Once there the goblins thought they were getting the deal of their lifetime. Two goblins for one dead Ranger.

Later that day in the park the Priest put his hands down on Rakhir's body and a white glowing light flowed over his lifeless corpse as his soul eased it's way back in.

I.P. Logged

RakhirOtrere

Experienced User

View Profile
Message Player

United States

Ranger Restored
« on: Jan 7, 2009, 6:25AM» Return To Top Quote Modify Remove

Rakhir opened his eyes and gazed into the face of the priest Kente and gasped for air. Rolling on his side, he coughed mouthful of blood into the towel the cleric presented him.

"Thank you," the young ranger began. "Have you seen my companions? How did I get here?"

The priest knelt beside the cot and gently pushed the boy down and covered him. "Of your friends, I have not heard nor seen anything. You were brought here by the Captain and his guards. They traded their prisoners for your body and asked me to restore it"

"The longer I stay here, the more in debt to this village I become." Rakhir thought. "Mathias and Rose probably think I'm dead."

Pushing the cleric's hand aside, the ranger sat up. "I need to return to my friends and let them know what happened."

"What did happen?" asked Kente. "Tell me and think on what it means before you rush off. I'll make tea."

"Tea?" thought Rakhir,"This cleric is mad. My friends are traveling through Drow caves searching for stones they can't have and he wants me to tell him a story while he makes tea." Rakhir looked at the priest's face and saw in his eyes a look that a parent gives their child when no argument will be allowed.

"Fine." he and he began his tale.

"We were exploring the pit where the hills of Goth once stood and found a Drow enclave. Using the hoods of Shadowblades, we were able to pass through their outpost without raising suspicion. Whatever happened to those hills caused the Drow tunnels to be exposed and as we explored the pit, inside and out, we found a cave that was not of Drow make. It seemed to be a temple of some sort. Mathias and Rose explored the entry and found a riddle and a trap. There was a corridor of water that was charged with electricity. None of the others was able to resist the charge, so I proceeded down the hallway to its end. There I found an altar with one of the elemental stones Gloin said would open the doorway to the Heartstone. I took the stone and turned to leave when I saw Knut standing in the doorway and heard fighting down the corridor. My first thought was that Knut had betrayed us. Then I noticed that the water was killing him."

"I ran to him and pushed him out of the room, back towards the entry. He fell. I coninued on and found that demons had attacked my friends when I grabbed the stone. I thought of Knut's body and went back for him. Then my protection wore out. The pain was intense and I raced back to the entry."

"I showed the stone to my companions and turned to leave the temple. Suddenly a voice boomed in my head, 'You are not pure.' and I was surrounded in bright light. The next thing I knew, I was standing in a goblin camp staring at a sword in my chest. Then I woke here."

The priest nodded at the tale and sipped his tea. "And what does this teach?"

Rakhir drained his cup and thought. Suddenly he stared wide eyed at Kente. "None of us can recover the stones without Gloin." Setting the teacup on the table, Rakhir rose and began to gather his things. "I need to get to the docks and see if Gloin's ship is here yet. And get some rope. A lot of rope."
Greywolf McGrowler