I'm on a "seeking a campaign" list. Now what?

A place to discuss news stories from the front page.
Venture
Site Admin
I'm on a "seeking a campaign" list. Now what?

Post by Venture » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:20 am

From the front page:

If you've joined the "seeking campaigns" list for NWN or NWN2, don't stop there. Browse the listed campaigns, and send a message to a Dungeon Master who has a listing that suits your schedule and tastes. No games that suit you? Browse the other players who are looking for campaigns, and see if any of them would be interested in forming a group. Many campaigns start without a DM when like-minded players play through a mutliplayer module together. Who knows, maybe one of the players will even grown into a DM role. The big lesson - don't be shy! Everybody was new to this at one point or another. Discuss the formation of a group over in the forums as well.

Venture
Site Admin

Re: I'm on a "seeking a campaign" list. Now what?

Post by Venture » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:28 am

I'd be curious how other DM's and players got started in campaign play, and whether they needed a "push." I sure did. I spent months building stuff in the toolset when NWN first came out, but, as silly as it seems, I was too intimidated to DM in an online game. I also didn't have the initiative to put something together. Another player's initiative got me going.

Bigbluepaw, who was getting started then too, had been another student in a DM 101 course with me at NWC. He messaged me out of the blue, asking me to join a game or two with him as players, which I did. Then, he asked me to DM a game with him, which I did. We ended up DMing a group through all three Saltmarsh modules. When they wanted more, we transitioned them into my homebrew campaign. Years later, I'm still here. :D