IC: Thessar's house (The Shore) - early afternoon of Tarsakh 4, 1373 DR

Moderator:Carlo

Carlo
Forum God
IC: Thessar's house (The Shore) - early afternoon of Tarsakh 4, 1373 DR

Post by Carlo » Mon May 13, 2019 5:14 am

Thessar's gaze lingers for a moment on the door through which the Vulture has just departed. Then his attention returns to the group.

"In the past I've foiled many a plan of the Night Masks here in the Shore, and maybe a few other places as well." The burly, middle-aged warrior can't resist adding a wink. "Which makes it feel strange to be working alongside one of their top enforcers. Although I hate to admit it, siding with the Vulture and pursuing his plan seems to be our best chance to save the city from the Night King and his Court of vampires."

Thessar pauses to give more weight to his next words. "We shouldn't lose sight of the long game, though. What will happen to the Masks - and to us - if we eventually succeed in stealing the two artifacts? Although maybe that's something not worth worrying about too much, right now." He chuckles, in a manner that shows humor and perhaps a certain amount of fatalism.

More soberly, he continues, looking pointedly at Aerikoth, Darrow, Dermot, Rosten and Njord. "One other thing I discussed with our 'friend' before this meeting is the need for you all to disappear for a while after you get that cloak from Darklady Dahlia Vhammos. There'll be a vicious search by the Masks for those responsible, no doubt. We'll get more details tonight, but I believe the plan is for one of the Vulture's trusted agents to be in place somewhere nearby to receive the cloak right after you obtain it, then for you all to get out of the city as quickly as possible."

Thessar pauses again. "It would also be a good idea to lay a false trail of blame at the scene, as was discussed. I'll leave it up to you to think up what would work best."

Face
Experienced User

Re: IC: Thessar's house (The Shore) - early afternoon of Tarsakh 4, 1373 DR

Post by Face » Mon May 13, 2019 8:40 pm

Rosten's yellowed eyes narrow at the news that they would have to leave the city. He glances sourly towards Njord and the others.

"Guess we'll be headin' to that dwarf-hold after all, priest. Unless anyone knows of a decent road tavern to lay low in for a while."

The sailor stretches his legs and hops off his chair. He continues to speak, his voice low and rasping.

"This false trail of blame...leavin' the mark of the night masks or some other vampire noble tonight might be too obvious, mates. You Shadows have been in this city longer than me or the dwarf-priest. You must know of some group or name we could pin it on, aye?"

Jaokith
Veteran Poster

Post by Jaokith » Wed May 15, 2019 2:59 am

"This plan", Aerikoth began calmly still seated, "Thessar, you believe the Vulture is true to his word? I will admit he seemed genuine but if we are to go and garner this cloak, I hesitate to turn it over. Would that not provide a way for him to escape from the parasitic undead that control his beloved Night Masks?"

Carlo
Forum God

Post by Carlo » Wed May 15, 2019 5:00 am

The big warrior responds rapidly to the wizard's words, apparently having already considered the idea. "Trust is a difficult thing when it comes to the Masks, which is why I don't favor deals with them...under normal circumstances. That said, the Vulture is known for keeping his word on his agreements. Although he is also known for being ruthlessly violent when he thinks the other side hasn't kept up their end. Or, perhaps after an agreement has run its course, which is one of the reasons I don't want to lose sight of the ultimate end game." Thessar gives a small chuckle. "I made my fortune by reading the fine print in my last mercenary contract, so that's a habit of mine."

Thessar then observes, "I believe the cloak is going to be the Vulture's price for helping us out, although he hasn't stated that plainly. In our discussion, he also alluded to wanting to test its powers before we move forward with an attempt to steal the two artifacts. We'll likely only get one shot at them, and that will take the coordinated effort of all of us. The more we know about the artifacts' defenses and how far the cloak may be able to get the designated thief, the better, to my mind."

"Now about the Vulture's escaping...if he'd wanted to abandon the city, I'm sure he could have taken enough of his fortune and departed at any time. He'd have to be careful about it, but I'm sure he could pull it off and then go somewhere the Masks don't have a presence." Thessar shakes his head. "No, he wants to stay and fight...from the shadows." The big warrior pauses. "That's in fact part of why I do believe he'll keep to the agreement. He wants to keep his own power within the Masks, and views the new vampire leadership as an obstacle to that and to his long-term survival. I can understand that sort of motive, for someone like him."

Carlo
Forum God

Post by Carlo » Wed May 15, 2019 5:13 am

Lady Sunrise Tylanna waits for Thessar to finish, then immediately adds her own words.

"You have clearly had additional dealings with this man. Something I do not really approve of, but perhaps can understand, given the dire situation we face." She frowns. "Yet 'trust' is not a word I would venture to use with someone like the Vulture. It is our duty to expose these kinds of people to the light, something we shall...temporarily...foreswear, if it suits us."

The high priestess of Lathander continues, "I must return to temple business. Before tonight's raid on Vhammos, however, I shall see if I can render additional assistance to the cause. Let it be known that someone who bears my symbol will be an ally." She displays a silk handkerchief with a rose, red and yellow sunrise design.

Jaokith
Veteran Poster

Post by Jaokith » Wed May 15, 2019 6:23 pm

Aerikoth returned his gaze to Thessar after Lady Tylanna spoke. "Even more reason to not turn the cloak over to him if the powers of the cloak need to be discovered... As I do not see anyone else amongst us but myself if magic is needed. Unless of course there is someone else who matches my skill in the Art that is not present and you wish to involve in this." The wizard cleared his throat and stood taking up his staff as he did. "If we successfully abscond with the cloak, I can discover any powers it has and then return it."

Carlo
Forum God

Post by Carlo » Thu May 16, 2019 5:01 am

"Apologies for any misunderstanding," Thessar says. "It's not a question of testing the cloak in some magical lab - I'm pretty sure the Vulture doesn't have one - but for someone to actually walk into the place wearing it and see how close they can get to the artifacts without being spotted. I believe the Vulture was going to arrange for this using either himself as the test subject or someone he knew."

"Now, if one of you volunteers to be the test subject and go it alone, perhaps he'd agree to it, although it'd be very dangerous going solo into an unfamiliar area like that. Beyond that, I'm sure he'd appreciate any magical knowledge you can separately obtain about the cloak."

Jaokith
Veteran Poster

Post by Jaokith » Thu May 16, 2019 10:42 pm

"I see", Aerikoth stated plainly. "I would like to spend some time with the cloak and discover what it can do before anyone uses it. Using it without taking the time to uncover the capabilities of the item can have unintended consequences." The wizard stood for a moment or two gazing at Thessar before inquiring, "If you do not mind me asking, I am rather curious about your acquaintance with the Vulture, how long have the two of you been talking to one another?"

Carlo
Forum God

Post by Carlo » Fri May 17, 2019 5:52 am

"A fair question," says the burly warrior, crossing his arms. "I first encountered the Vulture last year, although not in person. There was some trouble with the old Shore Patrol going beyond their usual activities, getting real nasty in fact with some of the women in the area. It got to the point where people didn't want to go out at night at all, which was bad for business. It only stopped when two of the responsible Shore Patrol thugs were found strung up outside their headquarters, with notes attached to them saying what they'd done and to not do it again."

Thessar pauses. "But only one of them was my doing. The other was the Vulture's. The Shore Patrol got the message. And so did I. It was no accident that the other body showed up at the same time, it meant that the Vulture's people were also watching us. I later received a short, elegantly written note, with the Vulture's kind regards for services rendered. It also meant, in the code of the Westgate underworld, that I'd reached my limit. At least for the time being." Thessar grins.

"A few days ago, I received a calling card that alluded to the Shore Patrol incident, asking if I would mind receiving a guest in my house an hour before sunset. I took the necessary precautions, but at least I knew it wouldn't be a vampire. Then the Vulture himself showed up. He knew I'd been working against the vampires here in the Shore and made the offer to partner against them. I heard him out and decided that it was an opportunity that I couldn't pass up."

Thessar unfolds his arms. "I also knew that if he really wanted to, he could have had me assassinated. Part of why I trust him to keep his agreement on fighting the vampires. But I don't make the mistake of thinking that he's on anyone's side but his own."

Jaokith
Veteran Poster

Post by Jaokith » Fri May 17, 2019 11:36 pm

"Thank you for indulging me", the wizard stated in a neutral tone. "I have another inquiry for you Thessar as you were the orchestrator of this meeting", Aerikoth continued without pausing. "I observed that potential allies were not invited, notably Jamal, any of her Harper associates, and those that support her and her ilk. Any particular reason they were not asked to attend?" He stood holding his staff in both hands in front of himself, watching the warrior with an unblinking gaze awaiting a response.