Westgate Campaign: House Rules

Moderator:Carlo

Carlo
Forum God
Westgate Campaign: House Rules

Post by Carlo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:06 pm

[UPDATED November 21, 2018]

The following are the House Rules currently in use for the Westgate Campaign.

I encourage discussion on the house rules. I want to run an enjoyable campaign that balances realism and playability. If something isn't working out or if you want to see something added, please post here. I welcome your input. Primarily I want to keep things in the realm of common sense, while laying out fair and reasonable expectations for us all.

-----------------------------

1. Death: permanent. PCs bleed from -1 until dead at -10 hit points, players can be stabilized using bandages, healing, or making a CON check. Dead PCs may be raised/resurrected in-game via actions of their companions. If a PC cannot be raised/resurrected, that player may re-enter the campaign with a new PC at a lower experience level (starting level is 9). Details would be worked out between the DM and the player.

2. Rest: allowed once every eight game hours. Resting ideally should be done as a group and may involve advancement of time (see below).

3. Time: time will proceed at 1:1 in-game, in other words game time will be real time. If all agree, the DM may advance the clock based on PCs' stated actions (waiting in an inn, resting, etc.) Time in the campaign may advance in between game sessions as well, if agreed on.

4. Multiclassing: all new classes must be selected via appropriate roleplay, to be worked out with the DM. Selecting a similar new class may involve little or no additional requirements, if the PC has already been acting appropriately in-game, while selecting a very different one would require suitable efforts by the PC. Prestige classes will be treated in a similar fashion.

5. Subraces: subraces can be roleplayed if desired, but will not have special feats or abilities "hardcoded" beyond what is available in the standard NWN game. Any subrace taken should be cleared first with the DM.

6. Roleplaying: PCs should stay in-character while in the campaign. There is an OOC starting area called the "Campaign Chamber" where OOC issues can be discussed each session if needed. In general, Neverwinter Connections standards of roleplaying, as listed in the Neverwinter Connections roleplaying guide, will be followed. (There are of course a number of RP issues that can be addressed individually, as people desire.)

7. XP: XP slider for combat is set at the 50% level, due to the relative rarity of combat and its importance. Session award of 100 XP for each PC is given, representing progress made in working with the group and "normal" use of your PC's skills. XP is also given out for PCs' individual or group accomplishments. These may be related to goals that the PCs have set for themselves and not necessarily involving any third-party quest or assignment. Essentially, if your PC accomplishes something significant, either for themselves or for the group, they will be rewarded. XP may be given on-the-spot or in the campaign chamber when OOC. I tend to use the following scale as a guideline.
-- Minor accomplishment: 25 XP. Minor effort/danger. Example: finding a lost pet rat.
-- Medium accomplishment: 100XP. Medium effort/danger. Example: finding a lost pet Giant Rat in the sewers.
-- Major accomplishment: 500XP. Major effort/danger. Example: finding a lost pet Wererat in the sewer that is organizing an army to take over the city.

Carlo
Forum God

Re: Westgate Campaign: House Rules

Post by Carlo » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:26 pm

Given how far the campaign has advanced since the house rules were last modified, I'm going to propose that new PCs, either for new players or for existing players whose PC is killed or retired, start at level 9, instead of level 6. That should make combat survivable and allow for a reasonably established backstory, including multiclassing etc. (as discussed/validated beforehand with the DM).

Thoughts?